Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 AM   #46
junior-soprano
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: greatest aura of invincibility

liston before the clay/ali fights. had imo the greatest aura of invincebility. also tyson. look at how scared spinks and patterson where. thye where in their minds already defeated
junior-soprano is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #47
KidDynamite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
I wouldn't say Tyson was thought to be unbeatable from his first professional fight it would of taken a little bit of time for him to be recognized as that, i would say it started around the 1986 mark or just pre to it so about 4-5 years, Listons in the way you look at it started 1956 but he had a 2 year break and really started around 1958 and went on until he met Ali in 1964 so 6 years, if you want to look at it from the Cleveland Williams fights as the start of his invincibility then it's 5 years although he was thought to be unbeatable before those 2 fights with Williams. The Williams fights just cemented him as being unbeatable even more
Except Liston already had a SD loss on his record

Tyson was annihilating guys without even breaking a sweat

Its close though
KidDynamite is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #48
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrooster View Post
Well SORREE if I offended anyone! but that's reality. I've never once seen the word "invincible" linked with Leonard's name

competent. skilled, talented are the three qualities that come to mind

the way Sugar had beaten Duran (he reminded me of Pee Wee Herman in a hit N run contest) in no way compares with the manner in which Tommy had achieved the same feat

Look at the manner in which hagler achieved the same result. He was criticized widely while Tommy induced fear throughout the sport and even said Hagler was shaking like a leaf

I suppose u didnt manage to see any difference in Tommy's build, nor would it make any difference to u. U wouldnt acknowledge it anyways. "Muscles? what the hell are those good for?"

looks like you're just trying to downplay the obvious while doing your best to pump up Leonard. you're just doing it with the wrong fighter
Yet tommy got blasted in 3 rounds and Leonard beat hagler.

Ive never ever seen 'invincible' linked to tommy hearns name, much less after a stoppage defeat to Leonard. Neither have i seen 'invincible' linked to Leonard either. I love both fighters but its hard to understand your reasoning for bigging up one and downplaying the other, other than you just dont like the guy.

I dont even know what you mean by 'downplaying the obvious', all i did was ask a straightforward question and got back a not-straightforward answer
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #49
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

It's Tyson pre-Douglas.

I remember reading in a magazine that he was impossible to knockout due to his unique physical make-up.

or

Jeffries just before and just after retirment. They thought nobody could beat him. They thought him so invincible they made him a favourite at ringside against Johnson after years of retirement.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #50
redrooster
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaff36 View Post
Yet tommy got blasted in 3 rounds and Leonard beat hagler.

Ive never ever seen 'invincible' linked to tommy hearns name, much less after a stoppage defeat to Leonard. Neither have i seen 'invincible' linked to Leonard either. I love both fighters but its hard to understand your reasoning for bigging up one and downplaying the other, other than you just dont like the guy.

I dont even know what you mean by 'downplaying the obvious', all i did was ask a straightforward question and got back a not-straightforward answer
going after and challenging depleted fighters suggests weakness, not strength. Sugar never faced Hags in his prime. he had the chance to. nothing was stopping him, but he failed to meet the challenge. that knocks him down several dozen pegs in my book

and while Sugar was good, this was only Sugar Ray, not Hagler

it was Hagler with the blockbuster wins over Hearns, Sibson, Hamsho, Roldan, not Leonard

Even Bryant Gumbel said Hagler beat him better than Sugar Ray

and he did

becuz Hags is a fighter made of higher stock

Sugar is a guy who would pick a fight with the weakest, clumsiest, slowest titlest out there.

the most limited fighter he could find, and still make him melt down to the lower limit of his weight class

that's the kind of man he is

why deny it?

we all know

okay, enough of that clown. My picks for greatest image would be Hagler, Hearns (1984 version), Roy Jones (longest streak), followed by Foreman (totalling prime Frazier, Norton & just about everyone else in the division leading up to the title challenge)

In fact if u look at George's record u can see going all the way back to 1971, a long list of KO 1 & KO 2
redrooster is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2012, 08:57 PM   #51
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidDynamite View Post
Except Liston already had a SD loss on his record

Tyson was annihilating guys without even breaking a sweat

Its close though
But it was well documented that Liston laughed at Marty Marshall and then got his jaw broken in the process and fought the rest of the fight like that, not many people thought Marty had really won and when Liston beat him in the rematch it was kind of like Roy jones jr loosing and then beating Montel Griffin if i had to compare it to a more modern fight, because people didn't believe Marty had really beat Liston and they did not believe Liston could be beaten by Marty. To everybody it was seen as a fluke
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 12:03 AM   #52
JWSoats
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

By the time of Ali's exile in 1967, he had acquired an aura of invincibility. He had cleaned out the division and there was nobody in sight who figured to have much chance. It lasted through the exile and his comback stoppages of Quarry and Bonavena up until FOTC. He even regained a measure of it after defeating Foreman, at least up until the Young and Norton fights.
JWSoats is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 02:06 AM   #53
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior-soprano View Post
liston before the clay/ali fights. had imo the greatest aura of invincebility. also tyson. look at how scared spinks and patterson where. thye where in their minds already defeated
I agree. Sonny Liston is the one that comes to mind first.

He was mean, he had that stare. Ofcourse the Earth moving power and the skills to back it up.

They even referenced him on the Munsters
ETM is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 05:09 AM   #54
TIGEREDGE
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
but Hearns had reached level of supremacy seldom reached. Pre Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy didnt have that same respect cuz the smart money including myseelf knew he wasnt going to beat Sugar and Knocking off tomato cans didnt means as much as it does to general sports fans

ask anyone if they didnt give Roy Jones ultimate respect based on the one loss on his record late 90s. record aint all that much as how u are performing

Klits being compared to Hagler? Hagler was a super elite whereas the Klits are nothing special.
there were many "smart guys" like eddie futch who were giving ray little chance. fight was 50-50. no one had smart money on it
TIGEREDGE is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #55
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
going after and challenging depleted fighters suggests weakness, not strength. Sugar never faced Hags in his prime. he had the chance to. nothing was stopping him, but he failed to meet the challenge. that knocks him down several dozen pegs in my book

and while Sugar was good, this was only Sugar Ray, not Hagler

it was Hagler with the blockbuster wins over Hearns, Sibson, Hamsho, Roldan, not Leonard

Even Bryant Gumbel said Hagler beat him better than Sugar Ray

and he did

becuz Hags is a fighter made of higher stock

Sugar is a guy who would pick a fight with the weakest, clumsiest, slowest titlest out there.

the most limited fighter he could find, and still make him melt down to the lower limit of his weight class

that's the kind of man he is

why deny it?

we all know

okay, enough of that clown. My picks for greatest image would be Hagler, Hearns (1984 version), Roy Jones (longest streak), followed by Foreman (totalling prime Frazier, Norton & just about everyone else in the division leading up to the title challenge)

In fact if u look at George's record u can see going all the way back to 1971, a long list of KO 1 & KO 2
Weakest, slowest, clumsiest titlelist out there????

Correct me if im wrong but werent Duran,Hearns and Hagler all titlelists when SRL beat them

Im outta here
johnmaff36 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum