Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-12-2012, 03:09 AM   #1
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Unhappy Controversial Fight- Camacho vs Mancini

This is one of those fight decisions that have always bothered me, although I am not sure how others feel/felt about it. 2 judges score 115-113 Camacho 1 judge scores 116-112 Mancini....so the judges saw about 5 rounds different. I last watched this about 3 years ago and scored Mancini 116-112...Just now finnished with the same final score...I do think there are some close rounds, but clearly score mancini the winner....Perhaps my bias (Mancini + body shots) is leading me to this card? So anyone feel like watching and posting thier cards????

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQp5Uw5OjRU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFxCMJOReWU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwDN3wV9MaY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVArVTL_IzQ[/ame]

Following the fight there is major talk of a rematch...how come it never happened????
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #2
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Controversial Fight- Camacho vs Mancini

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
This is one of those fight decisions that have always bothered me, although I am not sure how others feel/felt about it. 2 judges score 115-113 Camacho 1 judge scores 116-112 Mancini....so the judges saw about 5 rounds different. I last watched this about 3 years ago and scored Mancini 116-112...Just now finnished with the same final score...I do think there are some close rounds, but clearly score mancini the winner....Perhaps my bias (Mancini + body shots) is leading me to this card? So anyone feel like watching and posting thier cards????

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Following the fight there is major talk of a rematch...how come it never happened????
once the fight happened there was not much interest. Mancini had not fought for a long time and Hector won easily enough. I never thought Mancini won that fight.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #3
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Ditto, Camacho won despite fighting defensively. Mancini was the sentimental favourite and fought aggressively but I can't remember hm landing anything meaningful
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 AM   #4
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
once the fight happened there was not much interest. Mancini had not fought for a long time and Hector won easily enough. I never thought Mancini won that fight.
The only ones I have heard who thought that Camacho won easily enough were the announcers talking about Camacho 8-3 going into the final rounds (I hate idiot announcers). Did you re-watch it or do you remember what your scorecard was or anything to say that Camacho won easily enough??? he really only landed about 5 telling shots all fight....was his flicking jab enough to sway you to that assessment or was there something else that factors into that....Not meaning this to sound contrary as much as I am trying to see what others saw to make them feel on the opposite side...the 2 judges who favored camacho had it 7-5, so even they don't seem to say easy enough???? just wondering if that is the correct word you wanted to attach?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollox View Post
Ditto, Camacho won despite fighting defensively. Mancini was the sentimental favourite and fought aggressively but I can't remember hm landing anything meaningful
It is posted right here???? neither guy really landed anything telling....mancini probably landed a few more power shots during the course of the fight, while camacho landed a few more blazing combos....Outside of that most of the fight was a scenerio of Camacho back peddeling with a quick flicking jab, and mancini relentlessly stalking, landing a series of body blows...mancini certainly misses alot of punches due to camachos speed, but he is also throwing 3-4 times the ammount....Is this a case of prefering the flicking jabs to the body blows, or is there something else that sways you in thias one?
Old 12-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I haven't seen the fight since it happened which is over 20 years ago. I was hoping at the time that Mancini would give Camacho a thumping but as the fight went on I remember thinking that Camacho was always in control of the fight
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
The only ones I have heard who thought that Camacho won easily enough were the announcers talking about Camacho 8-3 going into the final rounds (I hate idiot announcers). Did you re-watch it or do you remember what your scorecard was or anything to say that Camacho won easily enough??? he really only landed about 5 telling shots all fight....was his flicking jab enough to sway you to that assessment or was there something else that factors into that....Not meaning this to sound contrary as much as I am trying to see what others saw to make them feel on the opposite side...the 2 judges who favored camacho had it 7-5, so even they don't seem to say easy enough???? just wondering if that is the correct word you wanted to attach?
Mancini was busy but not hitting clean, and Hector was controlling the action but not winning the rounds big. This was 1989 and after the Rosario fight where Hector did not take chances, but he did control rounds. I ordered the fight and it was on PPV I remember. I am glad there was not a rematch. Then the next fight for Mancini I was at. It was in Reno and it was Haugen vs. Mancini. Ray looked washed up there. In that fight Mancini made Haugen look like Roy Jones the way Haugen controlled the fight with speed and technique. If I am not mistaken. I have memory of this being on USA network or those guys were the announcers on the PPV, and they had Ray interviewed by Sean OGrady later on a program talking about the fight or on replay later, and I have a memory of Ray saying over and over "Never say never but?" As for a rematch. Then there was talk later of Mancini fighting Sean.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

I also thought Hector clearly took it, in the 8-4 or 7-5 range.

If anything I think I was looking for rounds to give Mancini.

You'd have to have a pretty big hard-on for Ray to think this was a robbery...
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 01-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

Mancini won that fight, hector ran and clinched the whole time. Boom boom wasnt very accurate at times but he punished his body and stuck to him like glue and fought 3 minutes of every round. Macho was so lazy felt like he threw under 20 punches per round lol
Ricky42791 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum