Toney UD
Mod-Mania is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

This one has been done a few times....Toney comes out by the majority.....My pick has always been Eubank....7-5/8-4

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW3zWZ12ZZY[/ame]
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
Mod-Mania
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
This one has been done a few times....Toney comes out by the majority.....My pick has always been Eubank....7-5/8-4

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
What do you believe Eubank has that could get the better of Toney? The only advantage Eubank has is power but that wouldn't be an issue since Toney has a great chin. He may well beat the Toney who fought Tiberi but that's the only time imo
Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mod-Mania View Post
What do you believe Eubank has that could get the better of Toney? The only advantage Eubank has is power but that wouldn't be an issue since Toney has a great chin. He may well beat the Toney who fought Tiberi but that's the only time imo

Or the shitty shell who Jones dominated at Eubanks best weight ?

I pick Toney though, not alot but a bit better at most things.
Hattons Hook is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
First I believe Toney is way over rated....I think he was very good/ border line great (similar to how I feel about Eubank, as well), but not nearly as unbeatable (well, many think he would simply beat any one not named RJJ) as some make him out to be.

Both are brilliant (IMHO) counter punchers, and I don't think this would be an exciting fight in any way....perhaps in the mold of RJJ/Hop's in that I don't believe either will risk a whole lot...Due to that I think Chris would be the busier fighter...I always felt Toney did himself a diservice by taking off far to many rounds and minutes at times inside of rounds, going back to McCallum and beyond. I think Chris's reflexes would frustrate Toney to a similar degree that RJJ did....I am not sure I would say Chris is more powerful, but in this fight the power of both would be negated by both chins and likely won't be a major factor....I like Chris's timing, speed, reflexes and athleticism to trump Toney's better fundementals, and defensive skills.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You're right , it would either be a technical chess-match or a boring fight, depending on what type of fight you like.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #8
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Toney UD
Your answer does not elaborate reasons for why...so in return why do you think Toney would beat Eubank? Toney might be able to get the 30 y/o that lost Collins but that is about it!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattons Hook View Post
You're right , it would either be a technical chess-match or a boring fight, depending on what type of fight you like.
I am not sure if boring is the right word, but no it probably would not be fan friendly with minimal risk assumed on either side. Brilliant perhaps, but likely only enjoyed by .....not sure how to phrase it?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Toney would've struggled with Eubank's movement. Eubank also had a TERRIFIC stiff jab - a Eubank/Toney fight would 100% depend on whether James could read it to avoid and counter or he'd be grinded down.
atberry is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #11
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I am not sure if boring is the right word, but no it probably would not be fan friendly with minimal risk assumed on either side. Brilliant perhaps, but likely only enjoyed by .....not sure how to phrase it?

You've said it right already. It'd be a fight for the purists.Not a chance of a knockout or a shut-out for either fighter.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
Mod-Mania
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Your answer does not elaborate reasons for why...so in return why do you think Toney would beat Eubank? Toney might be able to get the 30 y/o that lost Collins but that is about it!
Because like i said apart from punching power Toney has an advantage in most other things which should be enough to him the decision imo. As for Toney only being able to get to the Eubank that lost to Collins, what about the one that just got past Ray Close in 2 fights or even worse the one that got a gift decision against fat boy club fighter Dan Schommer?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
Hattons Hook
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Because like i said apart from punching power Toney has an advantage in most other things which should be enough to him the decision imo. As for Toney only being able to get to the Eubank that lost to Collins, what about the one that just got past Ray Close in 2 fights or even worse the one that got a gift decision against fat boy club fighter Dan Schommer?

You can take everyones worst nights though cant you. Toney was in plenty of stinkers.It's usual in these fantasy match ups to assume they're at their best at that weight.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I assume???? that you have an anti- Chris agenda??? That is fine, I am just not interested in dealing w/ that disguised as a discussion. Chris has the power punching advantage (not sure how many agree)...and then you give every other area...without listing one....boxing is very rarely quite that simple, but if that works for you....(" Fighter a will beat fighter b becasues...well he is better at most things, is not an analysis.)

As for the second part, you mentioned Tiberi, I merely mentoned Collins as a rebuttal to show that, it was a flawed statement from a logic position....Meaning we are taking the best version of both and placing them in a hypothetical....Your criticism on Eubanks further shows you didn't really want reasons or a discussion....as much as you wanted to further an agenda...

Toney is a fine pick, I just still don't know why you pick him....except of course that he is better at most things whatever that might mean????
Old 12-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
Mod-Mania
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattons Hook View Post
You can take everyones worst nights though cant you. Toney was in plenty of stinkers.It's usual in these fantasy match ups to assume they're at their best at that weight.
Yeah i know and i've given my reasons twice as to why i pick Toney. I only put Eubanks "worst nights" because philly said Toney would only get to the Eubank who fought Collins.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum