Old 12-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #378
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666
Default Re: Discuss fighters Jones Jr ducked in his prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post

Good god, that is quite shocking and very worrying that this sick weirdo whos been trying to get my attention is about.
You just never know. Thanks for the tip KO. Now I know why they call him Tranny
It's no surprise that banny ducked a bare knuckle fist fight with HEADBANGER
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM   #379
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishny View Post
Collins had been retired FOR TWO YEARS when this video was taken!

Collins had NEVER fought above supermiddleweight.

Do you really think Jones fighting a retired SMW would enhance his legacy??

Who did Jones fight next after this vid was made??

Thats right Reggie Johnson, who was IBF champ at LHW and had a win over...guess who???? Steve Collins.

And Roy destroyed him.
Johnson and Collins was a SD when they were both young and before Collins came into his own. Collins was a better SMW than MW, and as said earlier, some fighters cant perform as well in different weight divisions.
Collins retired as a champ and yes Jones taking the challenge would have enhanced his legacy. His fight with Tito was watched and Tito was a retired WW coming off a loss unlike Collins who was a similar weight to Jones when he retired!!
bailey is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #380
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=bailey;14386682]
Quote:
Right, getting there. So you admit Toney wasnt as good a SMW win as Eubank
Probably people based in America.
Look R Burns against K Mitchell was an exciting British match up, but didnt set things alight abroad, I dont expect.
Toney didnt do much at SMW and that is the point. Whilst Eubank and Benn were rematching in a massive fight, Toney was training for Prather. That tells alot
Nice and sporting of Benn, most talk well of Jones, he was a talented fighter, but he didnt seem to want to face certain fighters and prove to be the real main man of a division
Eh no, BBC ran a documentary about Jones being the best fighter in the world back in the last 90s after he beat Telesco.

And the BRITISH boxing correspondents were saying how he'd beat Benn,Eubank and Collins!

Jones was a worldwide phenomenon, just like Mayweather and Pacquiao have been for the past decade.

As for these people he ducked. This thread has proven that he pretty much didnt duck any of the them.

Benn-Don King politics.

Eubank-Personally admitted he never wanted to fight Jones in his prime.

And you have Collins calling out Jones TWO YEARS after Collins had retired at a division below. And this was before Jones went on to destroy the man who beat Collins back when Collins wasnt...ya know...RETIRED.

Nunn basically didnt fight at SMW when Jones did.

Theres as much proof indicating DM ducked Jones as Jones did him, Jones has a far better resume than DM.

In fact Jones had a far better resume than any of Collins, Eubank and Benn

The guy won world titles in FOUR different weight divisions. Went 15 years undefeated, beat numerous HOF fighters.
irishny is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #381
BatTheMan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaNazVegas View Post
Fair nok
Måske du også finder et en dag.
BatTheMan is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 PM   #382
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEADBANGER View Post
VivaNazVegas is particularly poor poster

Posters of this ilk belong on 'ignore'
Agreed. He is a disgrace to ESB
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
It's no surprise that banny ducked a bare knuckle fist fight with HEADBANGER
Yes I heard he shamed himself on here that day
bailey is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #383
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Johnson and Collins was a SD when they were both young and before Collins came into his own. Collins was a better SMW than MW, and as said earlier, some fighters cant perform as well in different weight divisions.
Collins retired as a champ and yes Jones taking the challenge would have enhanced his legacy. His fight with Tito was watched and Tito was a retired WW coming off a loss unlike Collins who was a similar weight to Jones when he retired!!
Im a HUGE RJJ fan and even I think that Tito fight was pathetic!!

NO-ONE believes Jones beating Tito did anything for his legacy...NO ONE!

You say Toney never did anything at SMW.....Ill tell you one thing...he did a shit load more than Collins ever did at LHW!!!

Collins was a retired SMW and you think Jones fighting him for a LHW title,2 years after Collins had last fought would have improved his legacy??

ARE YOU HIGH???
irishny is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #384
banny
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfsHctqvMwc[/ame]
banny is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #385
RICKY BALBOA
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattons Hook View Post
To be fair Jones v Mclellan was gonna be made, Benn was the sacrificial lamb who turned out to be a wolf.
Benn was WBC champ at the time and was supposed to be having a unification fight with WBA champ, Michael Nunn, but Don King told Benn he'd lose 100K of his purse for some reason and Benn wasn't having any of it.

So King took the ump and tried to be the wise guy by telling Benn he would only receive the same money if he fought "Mini Mike Tyson", Mclellan - Benn said "bring it on".

Benn's will that night was truly extraordinary by any fighter's standard of any era but that fight will forever be remembered for the trajedy that happened to Mclellan.
RICKY BALBOA is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #386
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:

Eh no, BBC ran a documentary about Jones being the best fighter in the world back in the last 90s after he beat Telesco.
He was highly thought of. Thing is they hadnt had his test results that came out against Hall then.
Even so, that program is an opinion
Quote:
And the BRITISH boxing correspondents were saying how he'd beat Benn,Eubank and Collins!
Maybe he would have done, but he didnt try and prove that, which is the point of the thread.
Still there are question marks now, as to whether Jones was clean, and these same fighters would probably say different now.
Just read what Froch who admired him had to say

Quote:
Froch was left shattered when Jones’ career ended in shame as a drugs cheat. The Brit said: “I was very, very annoyed. I put him on a pedestal. Unbeaten, a super-middleweight moving up to heavyweight and winning world titles.
“Pound of pound the best at the time, no one could hit him, he could punch, he could box, he could do everything and usually did in the ring.
“He hardly ever lost a round and then to find out he was cheating on drugs was quite devastating because I was a massive fan.
“You look back and you think was he that good or was he given an extra boost by something else?
“Were drugs giving him thee edge on his way to the top? Was it giving him the edge in hand speed, was it meaning he could go 12 rounds easy?
“Some of his fights were close late on. The guys he was fighting were looking tired and he was still looking sharp — was that down to drugs?
“If he was still sharp because he was cheating, then that is unfair because you never know he might have come unstuck in those final two or three rounds.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Quote:
Jones was a worldwide phenomenon, just like Mayweather and Pacquiao have been for the past decade.

As for these people he ducked. This thread has proven that he pretty much didnt duck any of the them.

Benn-Don King politics.
This thread hasnt proved that at all
Quote:
Eubank-Personally admitted he never wanted to fight Jones in his prime.
Eubank
Quote:
I would not have dodged. I would have taken the fight. Would have i have won the fight? Highly unlikely. What would have been for sure was that he would have come away from the fight and got hurt, and i would have been hurt probably far more than he was. It would of been a war. Technically we would have been well-matched, so our pure grit would have started to come into play. I believe we both had powerful wills, so I feel that fight would have ended up running on pure instinct. That can be an exceptionally violent occurrence. Interestingly, i was told that Roy Jones was rumoured to have said that the only fighter he had reservations about facing was me. I dont remember any of my critics saying much about that.
Quote:
And you have Collins calling out Jones TWO YEARS after Collins had retired at a division below. And this was before Jones went on to destroy the man who beat Collins back when Collins wasnt...ya know...RETIRED.
So now you have excuses for Jones not fighting Collins because Jones beat a fighter at LHW that Collins lost a debateable SD to at MW when he was young , yeah and Jones lost to McClellan as an amateur who Benn beat
Quote:
Nunn basically didnt fight at SMW when Jones did.
Jones definately didnt want to fight him at LHW. He relinquished a belt rather than fight him
Quote:
Theres as much proof indicating DM ducked Jones as Jones did him, Jones has a far better resume than DM.
At LHW their resumes are of a similar level, but DM beat the man. Jones never did and that makes the difference
Quote:
In fact Jones had a far better resume than any of Collins, Eubank and Benn
Maybe when they retired, but not when they were active. Hopkins was a novice when Jones fought him and couldnt win a world title at his next attempt.
Eubank when he retired had beaten Benn who Jones didnt fight and Rocchigiani who Jones didnt fight
Quote:
The guy won world titles in FOUR different weight divisions. Went 15 years undefeated, beat numerous HOF fighters
Yet all through that

Was Roy Jones a paper champion in the divisions he won world title fights in, between winning the MW title up to his fight at HW with Ruiz?
Read on....

At MW Jones won a vacant title against a then unknown unaccomplished fighter in Hopkins. Should Jones have been declared as the MW champ for this win or should that honour have gone to J Jackson who although also won a vacant title fought at a higher level and won his vacant title against a then higher rated more accomplished fighter in H Graham.
Should Jones have been declared as the man at MW?

At SMW Jones beat Toney who wasnt a great SMW and didnt have a very good SMW resume. N Benn and C Eubank were more accomplished champions who were fighting at a higher level.
Should Jones have been declared as the man at SMW?

At LHW it is without a doubt that Michalczewski was the man at LHW.
The Ring LHW title disappeared in the 80s and reappeared in the 90s where it just handed its belt to R Jones, but if the line of you have to beat the man to be the man had been followed, the belt should have been handed to Michalczewski for his victory over V Hill. Dariusz was the WBO LHW champ but he also won and vacated the IBF & WBA belts before Jones won them. Also Michalczewski beat Rocchigiani who was wrongly stripped of his WBC belt.
So Michalczewski had claim to every one of Jones belts and should have been Ring champ.
Michalczewski was the MAN at LHW.
Should Jones have been declared as the man at LHW?

At HW Jones beat Ruiz but I doubt anyone felt Jones was the man at HW with L Lewis as champ. Still same question to the fans. I remember a comment that Ruiz beat Holyfield who drew with Lewis.
Should Jones have been declared as the man at HW?

It does appear that Jones fought some good fighters but never against the top man of any division up to his fight with Ruiz and was only ever a paper champion in these divisions. Also Jones was fighting alot of gimmes and beaten fighters.
bailey is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #387
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Im a HUGE RJJ fan and even I think that Tito fight was pathetic!!

NO-ONE believes Jones beating Tito did anything for his legacy...NO ONE!

You say Toney never did anything at SMW.....Ill tell you one thing...he did a shit load more than Collins ever did at LHW!!!
He didnt do as well as Collins at SMW and the shit load more you think Toney did at LHW, knowing Collins didnt fight at LHW doesnt look good, when Toney at LHW after fighting Jones had 2 LHW fights which was a loss to a 14 fight novice and a loss to D Thadzi . Top stuff irishny
Quote:
Collins was a retired SMW and you think Jones fighting him for a LHW title,2 years after Collins had last fought would have improved his legacy??
Why then is Wards team calling out 40 year old over 2 years retired Calzaghe? Because it would enhance his legacy if he got the win
bailey is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #388
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

Listen this level of trolling has to stop.

Are you saying,that if Jones, fought a guy who had been retired for 2 years,and who had Never fought at LHW,that it would have improved his legacy??

Seriously, you'll have to use all your trolling techniques to explain that one. You think a retired SMW who has a loss on his record to a guy Jones hammered would enhance Jones legacy?????

Explain.

As for the worldwide phenomenon....DID YOU LIVE IN THE 90S?????

Jones was a friggin superstar! I dont give a shit what this thread says. I grew up in Ireland and everyone knew who Jones was,just like they know who Mayweather and Pacquiao are now!
irishny is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #389
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post
Did he really post that
We shouldn't be surprised really.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #390
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Listen this level of trolling has to stop.

Are you saying,that if Jones, fought a guy who had been retired for 2 years,and who had Never fought at LHW,that it would have improved his legacy??

Seriously, you'll have to use all your trolling techniques to explain that one. You think a retired SMW who has a loss on his record to a guy Jones hammered would enhance Jones legacy?????

Explain.

As for the worldwide phenomenon....DID YOU LIVE IN THE 90S?????

Jones was a friggin superstar! I dont give a shit what this thread says. I grew up in Ireland and everyone knew who Jones was,just like they know who Mayweather and Pacquiao are now!

Jones was never a superstar, as shown by his poor PPV figures
knockout artist is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum