Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #31
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Louis Vs. Larry Holmes, Someome is gettin KO'd for sure.

[quote=PhillyPhan69;14388591]If I were a betting man, I would say it say it is the

Louis would murder Mercer, or Witherspoon you have to know that..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 PM   #32
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

This isn't a gunslinger shoot out per se both men can box and Larry has a great jab but he's not noted for his power he's a outfighter that wears you down with a great jab and a great chin. Louis has dynamite in both hands an average chin slow plodding footwork but punches in bunches. Larry is a lot bigger than louis with a longer reach. so theres a lot of variables. If you put two guys with great power and shaky chins in there that would be a shootout

Last edited by Ricky42791; 12-12-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: punches in bunches*
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #33
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

[quote=TheSouthpaw;14388615]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
If I were a betting man, I would say it say it is the

Louis would murder Mercer, or Witherspoon you have to know that..
Perhaps, although he was given very tough nights from lesser fighters than them....but not by murder!

Likewise Holmes would totally outclass some of Joe's opponents....the point does not really equal much...

More to the point would Mercer & Spoon beat Galento & Abe Simon....

Spoon would be a tough nut for most ATG HW's...I think you sell him short...I would take Louis to stop Mercer in 6-8....
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2012, 11:38 PM   #34
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

It would be a shootout thats for sure
Old 12-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #35
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

[quote=PhillyPhan69;14388684][quote=TheSouthpaw;14388615]

Perhaps, although he was given very tough nights from lesser fighters than them....but not by murder!

Likewise Holmes would totally outclass some of Joe's opponents....the point does not really equal much...

More to the point would Mercer & Spoon beat Galento & Abe Simon....

Spoon would be a tough nut for most ATG HW's...I think you sell him short...I would take Louis to stop Mercer in 6-8....[/quote

You may have a point...
Old 12-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #36
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
It would be a shootout thats for sure
It would likely be anything but...Perhaps a brilliant technical fight with both guys respecting each other just enough to avoid danger spots...eliminating the KO opportunities. I would call this pretty close to a 50/50 fight my #1 & #3 ATG HW's....I doubt anyone is taking a prime version of them out (well outside of schmeling), let alone early!
Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #37
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
It would likely be anything but...Perhaps a brilliant technical fight with both guys respecting each other just enough to avoid danger spots...eliminating the KO opportunities. I would call this pretty close to a 50/50 fight my #1 & #3 ATG HW's....I doubt anyone is taking a prime version of them out (well outside of schmeling), let alone early!
At some point Philly these two are goin shot for shot, They cant hep it.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #38
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

A slugfest at some point..
Old 12-13-2012, 12:05 AM   #39
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyphan69 View Post
it would likely be anything but...perhaps a brilliant technical fight with both guys respecting each other just enough to avoid danger spots...eliminating the ko opportunities. I would call this pretty close to a 50/50 fight my #1 & #3 atg hw's....i doubt anyone is taking a prime version of them out (well outside of schmeling), let alone early!
thank you
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 12:47 AM   #40
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Ok..If you say so..
Old 12-13-2012, 01:22 AM   #41
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Ok..If you say so..
You are entitled to your opinion....you have not necesarily presented it real well in explaining why though? Joe could feasibly KO Holmes, the man is the best finnishe HW in history IMHO....But I believe it is more likely that holmes will navigate those trouble areas by keeping Louis off balance just enough to avoid them....Controlling some of the tempo w/ his jab, and dictating the range for good portions during the fight. Holmes probably has as good of a chance or better to stop Louis (as much as I hate to say it)...Holmes would captilize on anything not corrected from Schmeling I, but Louis's under rated footwork, and brilliant use of feints in closing the distance dictated by Holmes jab should be enough to discourage holmes from going all out....

Your scenerio is plausible to me only if!!!!!! Louis rocks Holmes, and Holmes who had a tendancy from time to time to engage in heavier exchange (when he would have been better suited tom out box his opponent)....then your scenerio would come to fruition...and I would still be at a loss to tell you who would come out of it worse for the wear....

It is possible, again I just don't find it to be among the most likely scenerios....

I will take Louis 9-6 over 15.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:53 AM   #42
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJim View Post
Holmes was somewhat of a sucker for a right hand...and if Renaldo Snipes could do it...
Silly reasoning

I could say that Louis was a sucker for a right hand...and if Braddock could deck him then the bigger, faster, better Holmes would finish him but I wouldn't cos it's silly.

I think Holmes takes a UD, by playing it smart, staying on the outside using his superior speed, reach and footwork to basically jab his way to victory although it would obviously be much more than that. I think the fight would probably be a bit of stinker bar a few moments here and there with Holmes constantly pumping the jab and 1-2 then moving while Louis plods in and tries to counter. Holmes has too much smarts and grit to be KO'd, I'd bet more money on Louis being stopped than Holmes.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 02:15 AM   #43
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

[quote=PhillyPhan69;14389076]You are entitled to your opinion....you have not necesarily presented it real well in explaining why though? Joe could feasibly KO Holmes, the man is the best finnishe HW in history IMHO....But I believe it is more likely that holmes will navigate those trouble areas by keeping Louis off balance just enough to avoid them....Controlling some of the tempo w/ his jab, and dictating the range for good portions during the fight. Holmes probably has as good of a chance or better to stop Louis (as much as I hate to say it)...Holmes would captilize on anything not corrected from Schmeling I, but Louis's under rated footwork, and brilliant use of feints in closing the distance dictated by Holmes jab should be enough to discourage holmes from going all out....

Your scenerio is plausible to me only if!!!!!! Louis rocks Holmes, and Holmes who had a tendancy from time to time to engage in heavier exchange (when he would have been better suited tom out box his opponent)....then your scenerio would come to fruition...and I would still be at a loss to tell you who would come out of it worse for the wear....

It is possible, again I just don't find it to be among the most likely scenerios....

I will take Louis 9-6 over 15.[/quote

You just dont see a KO happening.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:16 AM   #44
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Silly reasoning

I could say that Louis was a sucker for a right hand...and if Braddock could deck him then the bigger, faster, better Holmes would finish him but I wouldn't cos it's silly.

I think Holmes takes a UD, by playing it smart, staying on the outside using his superior speed, reach and footwork to basically jab his way to victory although it would obviously be much more than that. I think the fight would probably be a bit of stinker bar a few moments here and there with Holmes constantly pumping the jab and 1-2 then moving while Louis plods in and tries to counter. Holmes has too much smarts and grit to be KO'd, I'd bet more money on Louis being stopped than Holmes.
Ya but look at what Joe did to Braddock...
Old 12-13-2012, 02:19 AM   #45
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion....you have not necesarily presented it real well in explaining why though? Joe could feasibly KO Holmes, the man is the best finnishe HW in history IMHO....But I believe it is more likely that holmes will navigate those trouble areas by keeping Louis off balance just enough to avoid them....Controlling some of the tempo w/ his jab, and dictating the range for good portions during the fight. Holmes probably has as good of a chance or better to stop Louis (as much as I hate to say it)...Holmes would captilize on anything not corrected from Schmeling I, but Louis's under rated footwork, and brilliant use of feints in closing the distance dictated by Holmes jab should be enough to discourage holmes from going all out....

I will take Louis 9-6 over 15.

And Louis would rock Holmes Philly!..

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum