Old 12-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #421
VivaNazVegas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 585
Default Re: Discuss fighters Jones Jr ducked in his prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
He was an excellent poster, you're upset with him because he doesn't worship Roy Jones. If you read through his posts, you could see the guy had a fantastic knowledge of combat sports
He might have known a lot about combat sports in his personal life but on this forum he didn't display any of that.
He just said stupid stuff in order to piss off fanboys.
Roy Jones jr is the best boxer that ever live.
If he's not in your top 10 boxers of all time list then you don't know anything about boxing I'm afraid.
My theory is that MM did in fact have Roy Jones jr in his top 10, he just pretended to not have him there in order to piss off Roy Jones jr fans.
So he might have known a lot about the sport but he pretended to be an idiot in order to disrupt
VivaNazVegas is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #422
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by banny View Post
Zod laying down the facts like a BO53 as usual
Thanks
general zod is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 AM   #423
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
You saw it,got counted out and crawled back into your pit.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Please see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaNazVegas View Post
He might have known a lot about combat sports in his personal life but on this forum he didn't display any of that.
He just said stupid stuff in order to piss off fanboys.
Roy Jones jr is the best boxer that ever live.
If he's not in your top 10 boxers of all time list then you don't know anything about boxing I'm afraid.
My theory is that MM did in fact have Roy Jones jr in his top 10, he just pretended to not have him there in order to piss off Roy Jones jr fans.
So he might have known a lot about the sport but he pretended to be an idiot in order to disrupt

As I said, you don't like MM because he wasn't a Roy Jones fan.

Roy Jones top 10 boxers of all time based on what? Ability or achievement, or both?
knockout artist is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 AM   #424
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 191

A *gobbledygook responce a s usual.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 08:36 AM   #425
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Why thank you. Compliments from the fans is what keeps me going
Old 12-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #426
banny
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
banny is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 AM   #427
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=knockout artist;14390380]
Quote:
Great to see Bomber Graham get some appreciation on here. At his best, he took prime Mike Mccallum all the way, and deserved a win over Sumbu Kalambay.

Did you read his autobiography mate?
Hi pal, Herol was more than good enough to win a belt, he was desperately unlucky. If he was boxing today, he'd easily have a belt.

Naz idolised him from an early age, and tried to copy him in Brendan's gym.

He should have retired with millions. He ended up selling Jewellery on a market stall in Sheffield after he retired, but he now runs his own gym in Rotherham I believe. I know a few people that have met him, and they all say he's a lovely bloke. I also know that he's still in fantastic shape. A few years ago, he skipped for hours non stop for charity.

I can remember as a kid, that he came into the local working mens club on a charity night with Brendan. People lined up to have a swing at him. He had both hands tied behind his back, and nobody got close. I'd have been about 7 or 8 at the time. I never got to meet him.

I'd love to read his autobiography. I'm going to order it now you've mentioned it. I'd forgotten all about it. Have you read it?
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #428
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[quote=Loudon;14390594]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post

Hi pal, Herol was more than good enough to win a belt, he was desperately unlucky. If he was boxing today, he'd easily have a belt.

Naz idolised him from an early age, and tried to copy him in Brendan's gym.

He should have retired with millions. He ended up selling Jewellery on a market stall in Sheffield after he retired, but he now runs his own gym in Rotherham I believe. I know a few people that have met him, and they all say he's a lovely bloke. I also know that he's still in fantastic shape. A few years ago, he skipped for hours non stop for charity.

I can remember as a kid, that he came into the local working mens club on a charity night with Brendan. People lined up to have a swing at him. He had both hands tied behind his back, and nobody got close. I'd have been about 7 or 8 at the time. I never got to meet him.

I'd love to read his autobiography. I'm going to order it now you've mentioned it. I'd forgotten all about it. Have you read it?

Absolutely, he was unique. He revolutionised the way Ingle fighters are perceived, before Herol they always produced orthodox upright fighters. Herol changed everything, as a result we've had fighters like Naz, Wiitter and now Kell Brook, who all base their styles on what Herol did.

Yeah I read the book, and he talks in a lot of detail about his depression after boxing, he even tried to take his own life But he seems to have found peace these days.

That's class! He said they used to offer a fiver if anyone could land on him, and for every time he did it, he maybe got caught once or twice ever.

Definitely order it! It's a really good read
Old 12-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #429
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by general zod View Post
Jones says that the Benn fight couldn't happen because King wanted options
He was ready to make the fight but King didn't want to make it
(link now dead)

I find it hard to believe someone who has chamged his story on two seperate occasions
Hi pal,

I respect your opinion.

The various links I've read are good enough for me.

You originally posted the great links in your thread titled Benn, Jones, King. That told both sides of the story, and it read to me like Roy wasn't desperate to fight Nigel, but Don definitely wanted options.

I've also read The Man Called Roy Jones, that I think you posted? Possibly from The Dark Trade?

I'm sure you did? But I also saw them on another forum too.

As I said mentioned last week, I've heard Stan Levin say years ago, he didn't want Roy dealing with King.

Also, I posted you that link last week that had Fred saying he didn't want Roy fighting Don's fighters at 168 from 1995.

I also came across this, that I found interesting. By all accounts Stan was a lovely man, and he was both hated and respected by guys like King.

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 09:08 AM   #430
general zod
Into Darkness
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
The Benn negotiations were in 1995 when he was with Levin. He fought Gonzalez in 2001. Like I say Levin didn't want Roy tied in with King. Six years later, Roy may have had a different opinion, and also, what would the options have been for a Trinidad fight in 2001? I've no idea. But in the end, the fight didn't get made til 2008.
Jones always did what he wanted to do whether Levin agreed or not. It's the reason why Levin would walk out on him back in 00

A good example would be to read up on how Jones treated Levin during the whole Collins fiasco back in 99

Jones needed to make the Tito fight because his contract had been cancelled by HBO after his lacklustre performance against Tarver. From that point onwards it was Jones's opponents who decided if Jones's fights would get picked up by the network

Ruiz:
Quote:
Part of the reason Jones relinquished the WBA title was to get out from underneath King's control. In his contract for the Ruiz bout, Jones would have to have King as his promoter as long as he defended the title.

Tito:
One option
King would let him buy his way out of the option so Jones and Calzaghe could promote their fight themselves
Quote:
Jones is doing the bout without the involvement of Don King, who promoted the Trinidad fight and had an option on Jones' next bout. "Roy explained to Don that he wanted to fulfill his dream of promoting the fight on his own with Joe," said Wirt, who worked as an [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] for King's company for a decade until leaving several months ago. "Don was gracious enough to allow that to happen. We're definitely open to doing business with Don in the future."

Quote:
Fair enough, but we know from your links that Don wanted options.
We know Jones said that

Jones has said a lot of thing over the years. Like I said before I tend to take a lot of what Jones says "with a pinch of salt."
general zod is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #431
banny
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Loudon and General Zod running the show like true gents and legends
banny is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #432
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by general zod View Post
As long as Nunn was willing to move down to 168 then there should have been no problem.

His HBO contract made him one of the highest paid, non hw, boxers in the sport and he wanted even more money to fight Nunn??
I think it's pretty clear that Roy didn't want to fight Micheal.

But I made the observation that Micheal only fought twice at 168 while Roy was there, in response to the 13 guys that were supposed to be all deserving of a fight between 1994-1996.

Could he have come down to 168 for Roy, when he was fighting as high as 195?

It doesn't matter, because Roy should have fought him when he was his mandatory in 1997 at 175.

So I agree with you. I agree he should have fought him, and it looks to me like he didn't want to.

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #433
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=knockout artist;14390620]
Quote:

Absolutely, he was unique. He revolutionised the way Ingle fighters are perceived, before Herol they always produced orthodox upright fighters. Herol changed everything, as a result we've had fighters like Naz, Wiitter and now Kell Brook, who all base their styles on what Herol did.

Yeah I read the book, and he talks in a lot of detail about his depression after boxing, he even tried to take his own life But he seems to have found peace these days.

That's class! He said they used to offer a fiver if anyone could land on him, and for every time he did it, he maybe got caught once or twice ever.

Definitely order it! It's a really good read
I can't wait to read it now mate! Ha! I remember when I first heard about it, I really wanted it, but I've just forgotten about it.

I'm on it now.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 09:19 AM   #434
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by banny View Post
Loudon and General Zod running the show like true gents and legends
The man's a legend! His links are fantastic and he knows a hell of a lot about boxing. I've learnt a lot from him sice joining ESB.

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 09:30 AM   #435
banny
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
The man's a legend! His links are fantastic and he knows a hell of a lot about boxing. I've learnt a lot from him sice joining ESB.

Regards, Loudon.
Defo, I have learnt a lot from General and your good self about boxing in general, it has made me really appreciate some of the special fighters we have had in the rich history of boxing. I doth my cap to you both

Last edited by banny; 12-13-2012 at 09:54 AM.
banny is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum