BatTheMan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Discuss fighters Jones Jr ducked in his prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Bat are you having a laugh?
Well I am here to have fun and perhaps learn a bit.
Quote:

No he wasn't offered the fight, HBO just wanted to stage the double header because they liked DM's shorts!

Also Brad Jacobs met HBO for lunch and tried to get Kohll on the phone to ask him his thoughts on Germany's chances of winning the World Cup the following year.
It was just that you said DM was offered a Jones fight. Now that we have established that he didn't let's move on.

Two important questions are raised by this:

1: How much was DM offered for this undercard slot?

2: Was there a guaranteed shot at Jones after this fight? Knowing that Jones was near impossible to negotiate, that would be a key-point if I was manager.
BatTheMan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 04:37 PM   #527
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
The hardest task for Joe was making weight a t SMW, when he moved up , training got easier, he felt better.. He was at his prime and was throwing record high punches in the latter half of his career. He could of carried on but packed up cos the competition got stiffer.
You just got owned something cruel.
How was the competition to get stiffer? Dawson lost to Pascal, Tarver was easily handled by Hopkins who Calzaghe beat. Who else was there? Nobody.
Thats owned boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishny View Post
So Bailey,are you still trying to argue that a retired SMW like Collins would have added to Jones legacy?
You bet, you still didnt answer my example to it.
Why are Wards team calling out 40 year old, 4 years retired Calzaghe, when they could have fought a unification with Bute? You know why!
Quote:
I'm not stalling at all. I'm just wondering why you're asking out of the blue, and why you're asking in a certain tone>

Why would I claim to be from Sheffield?

I'm from Intake, and I also used to live in Dronfield for a while. Why do you want to know?
Took you a long time to find the answer Loudon.
Tell me which fighters who werent world champs from back in the 90s that you can recall, who came from Sheffield.
Quick answer, not a long search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1 View Post

Wow Failey your really treading water here ..Jones was never given anything ,and seems your the only one that's fooled by titles .Since when did the WBO account for anything ? It never did ! And Jones won those belts in the ring against fighters DM refused to fight ! You really need to stick to Calzaghe topics !Your boxing Rec knowledge has failed you here !
Fighters that DM refused to fight. Like who? Rocchigiani, oh no that was Jones , who didnt want to fight the Rocch or DM
bailey is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #528
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

deleted
bailey is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #529
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Bailey,

I'll try and find some. Not that it will make any difference with you.

I'm saying that HBO wanted the unification fight with Reggie over the Collins one.

Ha! Here's Otis popping up again. What's this got to do with anything? We're talking about the position that Collins was in in 1999.

Possibly. In 1999 Reggie was seen as a big fight. After Reggie, people associated DM has Roy's only other opponent that had the remaining belt. The longer the fight went without being mde, the more people talked about it. I agree that DM was the bigger fight in the end, but in 1999 I'm not so sure.

I mentioned it, because I know what you're like.

If Roy had've beaten Collins but not fought Reggie, what would you be saying now?

Probably something on the lines of "Collins had already being beaten by Reggie Johnson. Why didn't Roy fight the guy who beat Collins? The Collins win meant nothing."

I think that's a pretty good guess of what you'd have said. You can't win with guys like you. You wouldn't have been satisfied if he'd have beaten Lewis.

We know that you hold Eubank's losses to Thompson in higher regard than Roy's win over Ruiz.

It would have been in Britain wouldn't it. He'd just fought Benn and Eubank and was popular.

You're trying to wriggle out of the question.

Steve Collins was a great fighter. But in 1999 when he got in the ring with Roy, he'd done nothing for a while. Roy was fighting at 175, and his objective was to unify the division.

AT THE TIME, a fight with Reggie to unify at 175 was BIGGER than a fight with a retired 168 fighter.

Simple as that! That's not being disrespectful to Steve, but that's how it was AT THE TIME.

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO, IS GO TO PAGE SIX OF THIS THREAD, AND LOOK AT POST 78.

I'm not going to re post it, when it will take you literally about 20 seconds to find it.

Page 6, post 78. How hard can that be?

Yes he was. Read up on it.

You admitted that Hop priced himself out, and didn't want the fight.

You then said, Roy didn't take up the offers of fighting those two guys. You were referring to Hop and DM, because Roy fought Reggie and Telesco.

So, if Hop priced himself out, there was no offer for Roy to take up was there?

You can can mention the Ring mag all day long.

When DM was pushed in an interview about when he was fighting Roy, the only thing he could say was "Talk to my management."

Brad Jacobs and the guys at HBO could never get to talk to Kohl, and he refused the idea of a double header which was stupid!

Mmm, I wonder why this was?

You also have this as well as the links on post 78.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Also, we know what DM did after talks broke down.

He had the opportunity to fight Roy in America, it's pretty obvious that he wasn't interested. Talk is cheap. He can say anything to a magazine. When push came to shove, Peter Kohl never sat down with Jacobs and HBO to make that fight.

He stayed in Germany and continued to fight b class opposition who Roy had toyed with.
Replied to this, but computer went down.
In short I was reffering to Collins and DM not Hopkins, I dont think Hopkins wanted it.
Rest is a bit weak and you dodged the O Grant example as if that fight never happened.
Odd you dont remember Collins in the papers, looking for a Jones fight and it being hyped, strange you dont recall these things
bailey is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #530
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Are you for real?

WHY DID THEY WANT TO DO THE DOUBLE HEADER???

YOU DON'T NEED SHERLOCK HOLMES TO WORK IT OUT!

What do you think would have happened after the double header?

They'd have been an even bigger demand for the fight than what there already was at the time. It was a good idea to hype the fight.

You've seen the video of Roy from last week.

I've just posted an article today where Murad talks about it. You're getting pretty desperate now.
So you couldnt answer Bats questions and you cant debate against how DM was stripped and only given 30 days after just beating the champ, before he would have to defend that title.
Loudon will come out with something ridiculous about he could have fought in America against a nobody for less money and no title or something stupid
bailey is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #531
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Ha! Exactly!
Quick reply Loudon. Tell me what fighters from the 90s can you recall, who were not world champs, but quite big in Sheffield
bailey is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 05:27 PM   #532
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 93

Loudon, this bat the man goomba is trolling you something horrible. He knows the details, and hes just trying to wind you up cos you're a fan of Roy.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #533
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatTheMan View Post
Well I am here to have fun and perhaps learn a bit.

It was just that you said DM was offered a Jones fight. Now that we have established that he didn't let's move on.

Two important questions are raised by this:

1: How much was DM offered for this undercard slot?

2: Was there a guaranteed shot at Jones after this fight? Knowing that Jones was near impossible to negotiate, that would be a key-point if I was manager.
1. They never got that far, because it was instantly dismissed.

2. Why else would they have wanted the double header?

It's safe to assume that they'd have discussed details of the fight, before they went through with the double header.

If DM wanted Roy, and the double header would have promoted the fight, then why would Kohl have turned it down? He was a successful businessman. There was only one reason for turning it down, and it's obvious what that reason was.
Loudon is online now  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #534
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
How was the competition to get stiffer? Dawson lost to Pascal, Tarver was easily handled by Hopkins who Calzaghe beat. Who else was there? Nobody.
Thats owned boy

Why are Wards team calling out 40 year old, 4 years retired Calzaghe, when they could have fought a unification with Bute? You know why!
Tell me which fighters who werent world champs from back in the 90s that you can recall, who came from Sheffield.

Fighters that DM refused to fight. Like who? Rocchigiani, oh no that was Jones , who didnt want to fight the Rocch or DM
If Ward fought Calzaghe now, he'd be derided left and right by everyone in the boxing industry(and rightfully so) for fighting a long retired fighter.

By the way,do you at leaqst admit that Ward is the man at SMW,now that hes easily beaten 3 of the top 5 SMW in the world?

You deride what Toney did at 168...tell me,what did Collins do at 175?

And thats when he was fighting...let alone when he had been retired for 2 years.

Instead of fighting Collins, Jones went on to fight someone who was still active(Collins wasnt), a light heavyweight champ(something Collins never was) and who had a win over Collins!

Also when Collins did come back for what many believed was a warm up match,after which he'd fight Jones, he collapsed in training.
irishny is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #535
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

This is why you should stick to Joe Calzaghe topics ! If you don't know than there is nothing more to discuss !
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #536
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
I will have to check the german sources some time later.

Bat here is the quote :

Record Breaker [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] has revealed why he may abandon one of his titles - he doesn't want to do business with DON KING.

The newly crowned [Only registered and activated users can see links. ], [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] champion is also furious at being forced to fight TWICE within 45 days.

A court ruling has allowed No. 1 challenger William Guthrie to demand a championship fight before July 19th.

Now Michalczewski - the first man in history to own all three belts at his weight - has threatened to abandon the IBF title.

The Polish-born German's promoter Klaus-Peter Kohl said: "Guthrie is Don King's man and we don't want to do any business with him."

Kohl has said he is hoping an arrangement on juggling title defences can be worked out with the WBO and WBA.

Undefeated WBO champion Michalczewski won the IBF and WBA crowns after destroying Virgil Hill in a 12- round thriller on Friday night.

Michalczewski, who has 28 knockouts to his credit and 34 straight victories, pounded Hill from the third round.

And in the end succeeded in pulling off one of boxings greatest upsets with a unanimous decision.

North Dakota fighter Hill was left gutted with the shock defeat - only the second of his career.

His last defeat was to Thomas Hearns SIX years ago.
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #537
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Quote:
Did I claim a duck? Direct me to that post please.

And Toney lost 30 lbs in a couple of weeks before Jones.
The title of the thead says fighters Jones ducked... So i am assuming fighters you list would be a duck?

And I have heard the Toney weight excuse many times and been over it many times, it is bullshit.. Roy Jones beat the crap out of him while he was considered one of the best fighters in the world, nothing would change that. He deserves credit for it.

Last edited by Mind Reader; 12-13-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Mind Reader is online now  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 06:14 PM   #538
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Thats owned boy

You make me laugh.

I've been out earlier. I'm not sat at my PC all night, and I'm trying to answer my replies in order.

I'm now 32, and nearly 33.

I grew up watching Herol, Naz, Ryan Rhodes, Johnny Nelson etc. I can remember the full monty from the arena in 97, and when Rhodes lost to Grant in 98.

When I was about 15 Brendan had Pele Reid a former kick boxer who was exciting to watch, but he fizzled out.

Buster Keeton is respected as is Clinton Woods. Glynn Rhodes used to fight from Brendan's stable but he never fulfilled his potential. When he retired he became a trainer and he trained Herol for his comeback in the mid 90's.

He's now a successful promoter and trainer in Sheffield and he has Ross the Boss Burkinshaw in his stable as well as my mate John the Fireball Fewkes, who made his comeback last week in Barnsley after two years out.

Please tell me what I've ever said, what's made you doubt that I'm from Sheffield?

By the way, when Brendan moved to Sheffield in the 60's, he stayed with my aunty and uncle for a while, before he got set up.

He was always extremely grateful to them, and he once attended my aunts birthday party in the 80's.

I could have walked through the doors of the gym at Wincobank whenever I wanted, and I'd have been welcomed with open arms. But my mum and Dad never wanted me to go. They wouldn't even get me a punchbag. Ha!

I can remember thinking in 98, that I should down, just for fitness. But I was embarrassed and I thought I was too old, and I'd get laughed at. What an idiot! It's the worst mistake I ever made.

So there you are.

Why would Zod pretend to be from Leeds?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #539
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru

Good old British documentary on Roy Jones.

Reminds people of just how highly regarded he was back in the day.

irishny is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #540
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Replied to this, but computer went down.
In short I was reffering to Collins and DM not Hopkins, I dont think Hopkins wanted it.
Rest is a bit weak and you dodged the O Grant example as if that fight never happened.
Odd you dont remember Collins in the papers, looking for a Jones fight and it being hyped, strange you dont recall these things
Of course I remember, but it wasn't big news in America.

You know that Collins wasn't going to get a shot in 99.

How many more times?

He was a retired 168 fighter.

Reggie was the IBF 175 champion. After Frazier people wanted a unification match with Reggie.

Who in the States would have wanted Roy to fight Collins instead?

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum