Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKills View Post
So is Arthur Abraham a master of making his hands vanish?

punching power is relative to your strenght, but you need the technique and explosiveness to transfer the force into your opponent

strenght, explosivness and technique can be improved, thus so can power, although for an already peaked elite athlete....
Good post. That's the thing, most boxers never get near their true peak because of the outdated views of boxing trainers. Marquez incorporated some heavy weight lifting which is traditionally frowned upon, he hadn't done it before so he had massive benefits. If he had been training like that since the beginning of his career with periodised weight training he would've probably been a devastating puncher.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys333 View Post
you are right if you have better technique that gives you more power an if you have accuracy you will get the knock outs anyways because you can land the well timed shots your opponent doesnt see coming an i am also looking forward to GTA 5 even tho i am a 23 year old i just cant help meself i love them games
23 years old is young, I'm closer to 30 mate
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:43 PM   #18
Jak Boxer
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 450
vCash: 500
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

More likely that Pac's chin has deteriorated then Marquez suddenly gaining super powers.
Jak Boxer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
SpeedKills
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 354
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Good post. That's the thing, most boxers never get near their true peak because of the outdated views of boxing trainers. Marquez incorporated some heavy weight lifting which is traditionally frowned upon, he hadn't done it before so he had massive benefits. If he had been training like that since the beginning of his career with periodised weight training he would've probably been a devastating puncher.
yea, imo if you get in great shape through plyo's, calisthenics and then do some weight training you'll see much greater results than having been lifting weights from the beggining

A good regime, get in shape via calisthenics, lift some weights, then go back to calisthenics and plyo's and you'll have a great mix of power and speed
SpeedKills is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #20
tonys333
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 575
vCash: 189
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
23 years old is young, I'm closer to 30 mate

well that makes me feel better my girlfriend told me i was getting to old for my playstation i said i wont play it as much once i have completed gta 5 when its out
tonys333 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #21
tonys333
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 575
vCash: 189
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak Boxer View Post
More likely that Pac's chin has deteriorated then Marquez suddenly gaining super powers.

i was thinking pacs chin could have deteriorated after the 3rd round knock down but he was fine straight away an he also did take alot of big hits in that fight an didnt go down the punch that did knock him out was a great punch an would have knocked alot of people out i think pac can still take a shot.
tonys333 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 PM   #22
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,914
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Obviously. But power of punches can obviously be improved, if you don't think so you probably also suspect people of being witches and you think they should be burned at the stake.
That's a big jump in logic, dw
john garfield is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 6,661
vCash: 75
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvk2007 View Post
All i have ever heard is that punching power is genetics and that building muscle will not increase power, yet everyone keeps saying that Marquez improve his power because he put on muscle.....
Who's "everyone?" Only some delusional Pactards have been saying this.

The rest of us realize that JMM simply trained hard, and properly.


- and "punching power" is much more than genetics, so you are wrong twice.


But Thanks for playing "YDKSAB." Jane has some lovely parting gifts for you on the way out.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 12-13-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 PM   #24
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKills View Post
yea, imo if you get in great shape through plyo's, calisthenics and then do some weight training you'll see much greater results than having been lifting weights from the beggining

A good regime, get in shape via calisthenics, lift some weights, then go back to calisthenics and plyo's and you'll have a great mix of power and speed
Well yeah, you need to cycle everything, that's what periodisation is.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #25
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonys333 View Post
well that makes me feel better my girlfriend told me i was getting to old for my playstation i said i wont play it as much once i have completed gta 5 when its out
I reckon it will take years to 100% that baby so you've got some time left Also you're never too old for your playstation, video games are in the same realm as movies or any other form of entertainment these days. Next time she asks you to take her to the movies tell her she's too old for entertainment, that'll sort her
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #26
igor_otsky
Undefeated
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: you is you is
Posts: 6,862
vCash: 75
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cableaddict View Post
Who's "everyone?" Only some delusional Pactards have been saying this.

The rest of us realize that JMM simply trained hard, and properly.


- and "punching power" is much more than genetics, so you are wrong twice.
you forgot to thank Heredia. JMM greatly improved when he hired Memo.
igor_otsky is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #27
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,182
vCash: 500
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
That's a big jump in logic, dw
Not really, you'd have to ignore 40 years of research and believe that boxing athletes are different to other athletes to believe that punching power can't be improved. Which would make you a backwards moron in my books, on the same level as any superstitious person because that's what you're essentially saying; it's magic and predetermined. Genetic expression is easily altered by many factors, nurture has a far larger impact than nature. Everything is developed from something and can be improved to a great extent.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #28
tonys333
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Liverpool
Posts: 575
vCash: 189
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
I reckon it will take years to 100% that baby so you've got some time left Also you're never too old for your playstation, video games are in the same realm as movies or any other form of entertainment these days. Next time she asks you to take her to the movies tell her she's too old for entertainment, that'll sort her
ye it will its going to be amazing i like the 3 protag idea too it will add a new twist to the game an ye life would be boring if i couldnt play my playstion once in a while an that sounds like a good idea i will do that an see what type of reaction i get
tonys333 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #29
Skilletscuz
mma champ Ronda Rousey
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Fighting emo retards with logic
Posts: 2,781
vCash: 75
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Power/Force = Mass x Speed

its a pretty simple equation

Other than that, in Boxing, its all about the application of the striking technique using that Power/Force generated. And its also about the ratio of that power/force the fighter is willing to commit at any certain moment.
Skilletscuz is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #30
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,005
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

I don't think Marquez was a harder puncher. He was clearly looking for a knockout though, contrary to the other 3 fights. He was sitting down on every shot and throwing each one with the intention of laying Pac cold.

The KO blow was a combination of Juan throwing the perfect punch and Pac lunging into the shot face first.

The first knockdown was a haymaker that Juan set up perfectly and it caught Pac at a weird angle that he couldn't see. It'd have been more surprising if Pac didn't go down from that shot.

Marquez throwing with more conviction than ever against Pac + Pac fighting recklessly = Pac getting KTFO by Marquez.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013