Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 03-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #1
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Shozo Saijo- Eerily similar to Arguello

Minus the power. Don't get me wrong, the guy could hit, and his awesome stoppage win in his 3rd fight with Pimentel is a testament to that, but he didn't posess the one punch KO power of Arguello. Almost everything else though seemed eerily similar. From his length and proportions, the height he held his right hand when throwing the left, and especially his variety of punches when he had an opponent hurt. He'd rotate from body to head in a similar fashion to how Arguello did. Very impressive fighter. Haven't seen as much of him as someone like Raging
B(_)LL, but from what I've seen, I've been very impressed.

Anyone else seen this guy in action?
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Shozo Saijo- Eerily similar to Arguello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Minus the power. Don't get me wrong, the guy could hit, and his awesome stoppage win in his 3rd fight with Pimentel is a testament to that, but he didn't posess the one punch KO power of Arguello. Almost everything else though seemed eerily similar. From his length and proportions, the height he held his right hand when throwing the left, and especially his variety of punches when he had an opponent hurt. He'd rotate from body to head in a similar fashion to how Arguello did. Very impressive fighter. Haven't seen as much of him as someone like Raging
B(_)LL, but from what I've seen, I've been very impressed.

Anyone else seen this guy in action?
Sweet Pea,

I am happy to hear someone finally bring up Sho`s name, he is one guy you NEVER hear about today yet he was one heck of a fighter. A buddy of mine who boxed and saw many, many great fights on the west coast in the 60s,70s said he was robbed in the first Pimentel fight which he saw at the Olympic, he really should be 3-0 against him.

He was also beating the living daylights out of everyone they put in the gym with him in his preparation for his title fight with Raul Rojas, who he trounced in as one-sided a fight as you will ever see, and Rojas was no creampuff either and he beat him twice. I have every film available on him and I love watching this guy, drop me a pm if you`re interested in getting a hold of some of his fights.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raging B(_)LL
Sweet Pea,

I am happy to hear someone finally bring up Sho`s name, he is one guy you NEVER hear about today yet he was one heck of a fighter. A buddy of mine who boxed and saw many, many great fights on the west coast in the 60s,70s said he was robbed in the first Pimentel fight which he saw at the Olympic, he really should be 3-0 against him.

He was also beating the living daylights out of everyone they put in the gym with him in his preparation for his title fight with Raul Rojas, who he trounced in as one-sided a fight as you will ever see, and Rojas was no creampuff either and he beat him twice. I have every film available on him and I love watching this guy, drop me a pm if you`re interested in getting a hold of some of his fights.
Done.

Do you think he compares favorably in his style to Arguello also? Or does other footage of him show a different side?
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 03-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #4
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea
Done.

Do you think he compares favorably in his style to Arguello also? Or does other footage of him show a different side?
Your comparison with Arguello is a good one for the most part, with the one big difference being Sho`s willingness to get in close and slug it out thus sacrificing his advantages in height and reach over his opponent. Alex never did this, he was the epitome of patience in the ring whereas Sho had that japanese fire in him and would tear into his man if he had him hurt of was hurt himself... never one to back down Sho was.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum