Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #31
leftleftright
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 915
Default Re: I thought punching power could not be improved at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletscuz View Post
Power/Force = Mass x Speed

its a pretty simple equation

Other than that, in Boxing, its all about the application of the striking technique using that Power/Force generated. And its also about the ratio of that power/force the fighter is willing to commit at any certain moment.
And the acceleration was magnified by Pac diving in. Pac did a lot of the work, any version of Marquez throwing the KO punch would have had the same result.
leftleftright is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #32
AJ5
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Based on the training I saw it looks like they focused on building explosive strength opposed to a body builder's routine which isn't really functional for a boxer. So while I do think a lot of it is genetic, I do believe punching power can be improved through proper training and technique.
AJ5 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #33
Jaguar
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2225

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvk2007 View Post
All i have ever heard is that punching power is genetics and that building muscle will not increase power, yet everyone keeps saying that Marquez improve his power because he put on muscle. what is this shit?
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Here is a great article about developing punching power that you and most of the people on this site need to read: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Jaguar is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #34
victor879
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

You know what does increase punching power?

When a guy runs right into it with his chin up in the air.....
victor879 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #35
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

Here is a great article about developing punching power that you and most of the people on this site need to read: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
The amount of times I've seen a link to that retarded article... That hack doesn't understand a lot of simple principles, he's clueless. The internet
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #36
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

I just read it again.. it's embarrassing
"Show me an invention that makes my core lift weights".. holy ****
Old 12-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #37
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedKills View Post
So is Arthur Abraham a master of making his hands vanish?

punching power is relative to your strenght, but you need the technique and explosiveness to transfer the force into your opponent

strenght, explosivness and technique can be improved, thus so can power, although for an already peaked elite athlete....
Abraham's blessed with very heavy hands, SK. Has nothing to do with PEDs or lifting heavy weights. If it did that Greek lightweight that trained like an animal in OZ would have knocked down buildings.
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #38
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by victor879 View Post
You know what does increase punching power?

When a guy runs right into it with his chin up in the air.
BINGO! v
john garfield is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #39
ROACH
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Dealt with, if you're this big ****in puncher, why not post a video of you hitting a bag?

Weights may increase punching power to an extent, but there are certain individuals who are genetically inclined to hit hard.

Marquez happens to be one of those guys. His punching power is one of the reasons why he's such an effective counterpuncher.

As I've previously said, I've seen guys who were ardent weightlifters who had very good numbers, but for some reason were incredibly weak punchers, yet had many of the attributes that guys who lift weights too much do.

They were very hittable.

On the same token, I've seen guys that never lifted a weight in their life, but had monsterous punching power for their weight.

I don't know how much it contributes. It's hard to say. I've always been a hard puncher, but I've also lifted over 1000 lbs with my combined 3 lifts.

I don't lift weights now though, but I can still punch.
ROACH is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 09:02 PM   #40
fightu35

you can not per say improve punching power.you can make the power u have a tad sharper.the most famous thing I ever read was from Lee Haney 1 of the best bodybuilders in history who was hired to break Evander to heavyweight..and I quote " I was hired to bring EV to a higher weight but this had nothing to do with his punching power..u are born with your 'chin' and your punching power..big muscle have zero to do with power..power lifters use the steroid ********** name with held..lol which is very strong,and so are those guys,but they can not crack and egg,like at Bob Sapp..7' 300lbs and couldnt knock out a good cruiserweight...
fightu35 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #41
Capitan
Champion
East Side Guru

Perfect timing, perfect leverage and perfect position!!!
His central nervous system was shocked...Manny had no choice but go down!
Capitan is online now  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #42
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROACH View Post
Dealt with, if you're this big ****in puncher, why not post a video of you hitting a bag?

Weights may increase punching power to an extent, but there are certain individuals who are genetically inclined to hit hard.

Marquez happens to be one of those guys. His punching power is one of the reasons why he's such an effective counterpuncher.

As I've previously said, I've seen guys who were ardent weightlifters who had very good numbers, but for some reason were incredibly weak punchers, yet had many of the attributes that guys who lift weights too much do.

They were very hittable.

On the same token, I've seen guys that never lifted a weight in their life, but had monsterous punching power for their weight.

I don't know how much it contributes. It's hard to say. I've always been a hard puncher, but I've also lifted over 1000 lbs with my combined 3 lifts.

I don't lift weights now though, but I can still punch.

What have I personally got to do with the facts that I'm talking about? And how on earth are you going to be able to judge power from me hitting a bag?

Probably because they spent time in the weight room instead of perfecting their technique. Weights aren't going to make you punch hard on their own, you need to know how to punch first. Obviously.
Power also has a lot to do with strength to weight ratio, if you're building a lot of muscle you're going to decrease your punching power. You can be a great puncher without weights but that same guy could be a better puncher with some intelligent, periodised weight training that doesn't get in the way of his boxing training and doesn't make him put on too much mass.
P.S. 1000lbs on the three lifts isn't anywhere close to being bragworthy unless you weigh under 150.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:22 PM   #43
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
Abraham's blessed with very heavy hands, SK. Has nothing to do with PEDs or lifting heavy weights. If it did that Greek lightweight that trained like an animal in OZ would have knocked down buildings.
Blessed Praise be to Allah.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #44
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Response:
Absolutely idiotic. You misunderstand a lot of simple principles. You push into the ground with a punch. Itís Newtonís action-reaction that generates the force, exactly the same as a sprinter. Yes you stay on the ground but itís the same manner of generating force.
Your inside vs outside muscles thing doesnít make any sense. I assume when youíre referring to Ďinside musclesí that stabilise youíre talking about the multifidus and transverse abdominis? Yes stabilisation aides in transferring power but itís the large muscles (or outside muscles that you strangely like to call them) that are responsible for pure force, for global strength.
The core (which Iím not sure you really understand) is strengthened terrifically by heavy squats. In fact every heavy weight exercise requires maximal activation of stabilising muscles (Inside muscles), so a heavy squat is going to be far more beneficial for your core than some pointless sit-ups.
Technique is the number one thing for punching power but if each of the links of the kinetic chain are stronger then force generated is increased. Just because an exercise isnít completely sports specific doesnít mean that it doesnít have benefits that are transferrable.
Heavy weights increase neural activation and decrease inhibition from afferent receptors, allowing more force to be applied.
And the number one benefit to weight training is the effect it has on the tendons, tendons are responsible for power. Heavy weight training increases the stiffness of the tendons. A stiffer tendon is harder to stretch but recoils at a higher speed. You canít move without tendons, you need high muscle strength to stretch the tendons. A stiffer/thicker tendon produces far more power than a compliant (loose, thin) tendon. Go pick up a thick rubber band and a thin rubber band and stretch them. Thatís essentially what your tendons are.
Itís unbelievable the ignorance that gets passed around as expert opinion on the internet.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #45
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum