Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-13-2012, 03:57 PM   #61
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Louis Vs. Larry Holmes, Someome is gettin KO'd for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
Its not goin the distance ill promise you that.
Please share your observation with us....What flaw will louis expose....what weaknesses might he attack??? What will he do to put the normally durable Holmes onto the canvas early and then finnish him?
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 07:26 PM   #62
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

@Philly..the only weakness that MAY be exposed is that Larry will more than likely slow down around the 6th, endurance wise Joe has him beat, as soon as Larry shows a glimpse of being tired( just like he did against Spinks) louis will jump on him and you know, were talking about two of the hardest punchers in the HW division history, and the best pure boxer ever in Joe Louis, If Holmes doesnt make a mistake on his own, Joe will make sure he does. I never said hed put Holmes down early its gonna take some time.
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #63
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
Please share your observation with us....What flaw will louis expose....what weaknesses might he attack??? What will he do to put the normally durable Holmes onto the canvas early and then finnish him?
Simmer down dude, I never said this would be an easy fight by any means for either fighters...I just personally beieve theres no way its goin the distance.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #64
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
@Philly..the only weakness that MAY be exposed is that Larry will more than likely slow down around the 6th, endurance wise Joe has him beat, as soon as Larry shows a glimpse of being tired( just like he did against Spinks) louis will jump on him and you know, were talking about two of the hardest punchers in the HW division history, and the best pure boxer ever in Joe Louis, If Holmes doesnt make a mistake on his own, Joe will make sure he does. I never said hed put Holmes down early its gonna take some time.
In his prime, Larry did not fade. He actually usually turned up the heat in the middle to late rounds. Even when he was 36/37 against Spinks, he didn't really show any major stamina problems, it was more than Spinks focussed more on fighting in the 2nd half of the fight than the first half.

Against Norton, Holmes averaged 70 punches per round. That's an impressive work rate, and even more impressive he found the energy to go toe to toe with Norton in a give and take 15th round.

I'd favor Holmes to beat Louis by decision. Louis had problems with guys that were good movers and were quick, and Holmes was a very good mover with very fast hands. His jab would give Louis a lot of trouble and keep him from throwing the punches that he'd need to to win the fight.

Holmes also had the power to keep Louis honest. In my opinion Holmes would even have a good chance at dropping Louis, which happened in several other fights.

I just don't think Larry is a good match up for Louis. Taller, longer reacher, more mobile, at least on par for speed, iron chin, great stamina, good power, versatile, and very ring smart.

Louis had problems with guys who were good boxers, and Holmes was one of the best.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 08:41 PM   #65
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Larry was not prime against Spinks....and really was never known for fatigue issues....but if that is your pick, that is fine....I think Louis underrated foot movement, and timing will allow him to cause Larry problems from dictating both the range and pacing of the fight....I still think it goes to the cards, but Louis wins it on mine....If he lands just the right punch he could drop Holmes, but again I would not call that the likely scenerio...

Either way, at least you explained yourself, even if I disagree I give you credit for that.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #66
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
In his prime, Larry did not fade. He actually usually turned up the heat in the middle to late rounds. Even when he was 36/37 against Spinks, he didn't really show any major stamina problems, it was more than Spinks focussed more on fighting in the 2nd half of the fight than the first half.

Against Norton, Holmes averaged 70 punches per round. That's an impressive work rate, and even more impressive he found the energy to go toe to toe with Norton in a give and take 15th round.

I'd favor Holmes to beat Louis by decision. Louis had problems with guys that were good movers and were quick, and Holmes was a very good mover with very fast hands. His jab would give Louis a lot of trouble and keep him from throwing the punches that he'd need to to win the fight.

Holmes also had the power to keep Louis honest. In my opinion Holmes would even have a good chance at dropping Louis, which happened in several other fights.

I just don't think Larry is a good match up for Louis. Taller, longer reacher, more mobile, at least on par for speed, iron chin, great stamina, good power, versatile, and very ring smart.

Louis had problems with guys who were good boxers, and Holmes was one of the best.
I think he would treat him like a black Max Schmeling...the second time
Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 PM   #67
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Larry was not prime against Spinks....and really was never known for fatigue issues....but if that is your pick, that is fine....I think Louis underrated foot movement, and timing will allow him to cause Larry problems from dictating both the range and pacing of the fight....I still think it goes to the cards, but Louis wins it on mine....If he lands just the right punch he could drop Holmes, but again I would not call that the likely scenerio...

Either way, at least you explained yourself, even if I disagree I give you credit for that.

Thanks Philly, And I agree with you that Louis's timing and footwork is underrated...And it is possible Holmes gets dropped.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:29 PM   #68
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

I just hope for Holmes's sake his jab shows up on this night like it never has before.....
Old 12-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #69
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I think he would treat him like a black Max Schmeling...the second time
I think you have a problem with my opinions and are unwilling to take them seriously or to give any thoughful comment on them for whatever reason, despite me opinions being along the same lines as others who you commented on in a more thought out fashion.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #70
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Im sorry guys if I sound like im kissin ass but one thing I have to say about Phillyfan69 is dude knows his shit. He is one of the very few on the forum that I can NEVER stump, and I learn something new from this man just about everyday. My all time favorite is Joe Frazier, if there is anything you wanna know about him or any fighters from philly hes your man...Sorry to put you on blast like this Philly but had to be done.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #71
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:

This post is for you Philly.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:45 PM   #72
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I just hope for Holmes's sake his jab shows up on this night like it never has before.....
does not matter Louis was the greatest combo power puncher to live and had a great jab as well but an arsenal behind it. Louis liked chopping down the big guys and IMO he figure Larry out and lands the right hand to start things.

Tyson may have hit as hard with the right hand as Louis but Joe threw a 6-piece and had many varieties of each hand. There is no one in Holmes record, not 16 fight Witherspoon, 8 rd Gerry or the rest of the 10-13 and 14,15 and 16 fight guys he beat that could stand close to Joe Louis, even the experienced Norton who gave Holmes hell would be dispatched quicker by Louis then Shavers or Foreman, Joe hit as hard but followed up with killer instinct and power/combos

Louis was a different kind of animal
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #73
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
does not matter Louis was the greatest combo power puncher to live and had a great jab as well but an arsenal behind it. Louis liked chopping down the big guys and IMO he figure Larry out and lands the right hand to start things.

Tyson may have hit as hard with the right hand as Louis but Joe threw a 6-piece and had many varieties of each hand. There is no one in Holmes record, not 16 fight Witherspoon, 8 rd Gerry or the rest of the 10-13 and 14,15 and 16 fight guys he beat that could stand close to Joe Louis, even the experienced Norton who gave Holmes hell would be dispatched quicker by Louis then Shavers or Foreman, Joe hit as hard but followed up with killer instinct and power/combos

Louis was a different kind of animal
Which is exactly why I say there is no freakin way this fight goes the distance,,,,
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #74
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Joes arsenal was leaps and bounds over Holmes's...
Old 12-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #75
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Im sorry guys if I sound like im kissin ass but one thing I have to say about Phillyfan69 is dude knows his shit. He is one of the very few on the forum that I can NEVER stump, and I learn something new from this man just about everyday. My all time favorite is Joe Frazier, if there is anything you wanna know about him or any fighters from philly hes your man...Sorry to put you on blast like this Philly but had to be done.
Even I don't agree that I am in the upper echelon, here at ESB....I love and study boxing, but there are many who are better at analysing and articulating thier thoughts....Not sure what you are thinking....It might just be that I am one of the few that is giving you a chance.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum