Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW
Toney By Decision 19 67.86%
Toney By KO/TKO 1 3.57%
Draw 0 0%
Eubank By Decision 8 28.57%
Eubank By KO/TKO 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2012, 07:10 PM   #31
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1000
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

If Eubank boxed like he did against Watson in their first fight, I don't see what James could do with him in all fairness. There was a lot of subtle skill in those first seven rounds against Watson (I) from Eubank, none more so than in the feet and ring generalship - and we know Toney much preferred an in-the-pocket fight. I had CE beating MW there in just about every minute, very comfortably (smirking poker face!) - basically everything Watson threw never really landed cleanly due to Eubank's eerily good 2-3inch head movement, (apart from a long right hand in the 3rd on a squatted, side-bending Chris).
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #32
travolt
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

Another point one can make is Eubank didn't have an inside game. He was always trying to box from the outside and was constantly thrusting his chin forward while protecting his body so he wouldn't get hit there.

In the video you posted one can see him swinging for the fences as this was saturday ballroom brawl, losing balance constantly.

Ther part on the ropes was hilarious.

If it was Toney instead of Watson in that rd, he would have killed him.
travolt is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:13 PM   #33
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Memphis
Posts: 4,389
vCash: 462
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

Toney can close the gap. He was cutting off Nunn pretty well. It's not lateral movement that bothers him. It's activity and athleticism. The shoulder roll is only good if they stand in front of the shoulder.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #34
Body Head
East Side Rape (CEO)
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,474
vCash: 75
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
Am I the only one who thought that Nunn-Toney was close before the stoppage?

Yeah, Toney was closing in on the scores. I had Nunn winning the first 7 rounds. Toney winning 8,9,10 and 11 with a knockdown, then came the knockout. If Nunn got up from the second knockdown and Toney went on to win the 12th round it would have been a draw 113-113.
Body Head is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #35
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1000
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

Nunn was cruising by Toney as much as Eubank was cruising by Watson, both fights within weeks of eachother. Interesting as well how Eubank famously knocked out Herol Graham in their first round of sparring a few weeks after Nunn-Kalambay.

Eubank always said Nunn was the fight he saw as the big one and last one.
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #36
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,555
vCash: 500
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by travolt View Post
Another point one can make is Eubank didn't have an inside game. He was always trying to box from the outside and was constantly thrusting his chin forward while protecting his body so he wouldn't get hit there.

In the video you posted one can see him swinging for the fences as this was saturday ballroom brawl, losing balance constantly.

Ther part on the ropes was hilarious.

If it was Toney instead of Watson in that rd, he would have killed him.
Except he was like that because of the way Watson had fought the previous rounds.Toney never really fought like that.Doesn't put that kind of pressure on.

that said, Eubank's stamina was erratic as hell and he probably would fade\need to bluff about, take rounds off at some point in most competitive fights he finds himself in etc Though i can't see Toney being the right kind of fighter to gas him out.Especially if he's not in the best shape himself.
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #37
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Salisbury, MD
Posts: 3,881
vCash: 1000
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by atberry View Post
Nunn was cruising by Toney as much as Eubank was cruising by Watson, both fights within weeks of eachother. Interesting as well how Eubank famously knocked out Herol Graham in their first round of sparring a few weeks after Nunn-Kalambay.

Eubank always said Nunn was the fight he saw as the big one and last one.
Stylistically I believe Nunn would cause Chris more problems than Toney!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:29 PM   #38
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1000
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
Stylistically I believe Nunn would cause Chris more problems than Toney!
No question. Eubank said in '89 that only two fighters could beat him - Herol Graham and Nunn. He felt he had a '55% chance' of beating Nunn and '45% chance' of beating Graham.
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:32 PM   #39
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1000
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

Mike McCallum today in Vegas gives his fighters DVD's of Eubank and asks them to study the ring generalship. That says a lot.
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #40
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,555
vCash: 500
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

at, Eubank couldn't consistently turn over the left hook.Does this ever get to you?
lora is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #41
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1000
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
at, Eubank couldn't consistently turn over the left hook.Does this ever get to you?
Not at all considering he had the worst body structure for doing so - high hips and short torso. Mostly his hook was very, very short, though, with a nice pivot.

-At
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #42
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1000
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

Did you know Chris Eubank shared a twin room with Dennis Milton at Atlantis Hotel & Casino before and after this fight:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTB2Z8uTJuM[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk5VBRZ1ooM[/ame]


I did. Think Milton was on the card too (must've been).
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #43
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Dallas,Texas.
Posts: 17,399
vCash: 1010
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

James Toney by decision.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 AM   #44
atberry
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 4,476
vCash: 1000
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

Eubank is quite the un-knockoutable, a little concerned with that vote
atberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #45
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 21,947
vCash: 1000
Default Re: James Toney vs Chris Eubank At SMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sas6789 View Post
Who comes out on top?
Eubanks would not go in the same room as Toney, let alone the same ring.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013