Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #16
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835
Default Re: What makes you jizz? A 12 round boxing masterclass or a straight blowout?

Body punching is another thing that's great to see when done right. Leo Santa Cruz is on this week isn't he
LHL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 03:56 AM   #17
Paup snith
P4P most avoided champ
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: What makes you jizz? A 12 round boxing masterclass or a straight blowout?

Makes me laugh how many people on here say they want to see a masterclass. I bet ALL of you have lambasted a fighter for having little or no power. Malignaggi gets a lot of stick for this. It goes along the lines of.."oh he can hold his hands up sure, but he's got no power"
I like many types of fights personally. As someone mentioned earlier, Hopkins' dominance over pavlik was punch perfect, froch v pascal was a genuine iron chinned war, pacquiao's KO of hatton was a devastating show of power (notwithstanding Ricky's questionable punch resistance), The way Mayweather totally tamed Marquez was brilliant. All of these fights had elemetns of boxing that i find overwhelming and exciting.
Having that equalising power is something i find captivating about fighters though, especially when their skill set is far inferior to their opponent. I mean when abraham KO'd taylor, i think that was his only hope in the fight. I know taylor was diminished at that point, but it has been proven in subsequent fights that a good fighter can neutralise KO power to a point, but you can never be sure until that bell has rung! It creates totaly suspense for me during a fight.
I can't say i've ever spunked my pants when i've watched a fight though.
Paup snith is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #18
ei.goud

ei.goud is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 AM   #19
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

i think paulie is great, always have done.

i liked ian napa a lot too
doug.ie is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 AM   #20
Paup snith
P4P most avoided champ
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
i think paulie is great, always have done.

i liked ian napa a lot too
Napa was a great mover. But the old problem was that he had to have it for the full distance consistently and became shop worn. A bit of pop and he might have moved on a bit. Pauile is great to watch, and fair enough he's won a world title, so to a certain extent is the exception to the rule, but some battles he has had may have been entirely different had he have had power to put some guys off. Were his problems down to brittle hands?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #21
TheUzi
MISSION INCOMPLETE
ESB Addict

vCash: 315

I like to see a schooling topped off with a mid/late stoppage OR someone who's getting schooled turn it all around with a perfect power shot!!
TheUzi is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #22
ryanmorton
Journeyman

Iv loved fights like morales vs pacquaio or barrera vs pacquaio or vs morales etc because they were just 12 rounds of counter punching and brawls with loads of big shots being landed same as benn vs eubank but my favourite fighter i constintly watch is Roy Jones Jr cos as far as i am concerned you will never see a boxer with skill or brains like that for a long long time! People like him and Sugar Ray Leonard turned boxing from a sport almost into an art
ryanmorton is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #23
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Agree with whoever said a late finish is the way to do it.

I like to see a competitive opening, before one fighter starts to take control and show their quality, then moving it up a gear and forcing the stoppage. Marquez did this brilliantly against Katsidis who it has to be said fought a great fight.
JonnyBGoode is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #24
ApatheticLeader
is bringing ***y back.
East Side Guru

vCash: 187

I love masterclasses that end in late stoppages.
ApatheticLeader is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 06:05 AM   #25
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Martinez against Chavez Jr was one that nearly ended badly for the "dominant" fighter.

Martinez after boxing superbly for 11 rounds and making the bigger man look positively average, comes out swinging in the 12th and nearly gets KO'd! That would have been a travesty my heart was in my mouth at the time.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #26
Paup snith
P4P most avoided champ
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post
Martinez against Chavez Jr was one that nearly ended badly for the "dominant" fighter.

Martinez after boxing superbly for 11 rounds and making the bigger man look positively average, comes out swinging in the 12th and nearly gets KO'd! That would have been a travesty my heart was in my mouth at the time.
Good shout. Would have been a travesty indeed, but is that the intriguing thing about boxing?? If man united are blasting someone 5-0, with 2 minutes to go there is no chance of a comeback. In boxing even 2:59 of the final round is enough time to turn it around!!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #27
JonnyBGoode
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paup snith View Post
Good shout. Would have been a travesty indeed, but is that the intriguing thing about boxing?? If man united are blasting someone 5-0, with 2 minutes to go there is no chance of a comeback. In boxing even 2:59 of the final round is enough time to turn it around!!
Definitely mate

There are differing views on "masterclass" though.

Calzaghe dominated Lacy and put on a masterclass of skills, footwork, technique etc. By the end he was just laughing in his face and unloading at will, it was amazing to watch.

Bellew against McKenzie 2 wasn't a master class. I think Tony boxed clever and did the right thing but it wasn't exciting to view. Similarly you could say Wlad put on a bit of a masterclass against Haye but I was bored stiff and he was never in any danger of actually exciting anyone throughout the whole fight despite being dominant.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:34 AM   #28
Paup snith
P4P most avoided champ
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGoode View Post
Definitely mate

There are differing views on "masterclass" though.

Calzaghe dominated Lacy and put on a masterclass of skills, footwork, technique etc. By the end he was just laughing in his face and unloading at will, it was amazing to watch.

Bellew against McKenzie 2 wasn't a master class. I think Tony boxed clever and did the right thing but it wasn't exciting to view. Similarly you could say Wlad put on a bit of a masterclass against Haye but I was bored stiff and he was never in any danger of actually exciting anyone throughout the whole fight despite being dominant.
Absolutely. I was bored off my tits watching bellew v mckenzie, but understood totally why he boxed like that, and appreciated the skill i was seeing to a certain extent.
I like Calzaghe because of his boxing brain and adjustments he could make mid fight to swing things in his favour, like he did v Kessler most notably. Calzaghe is a perfect example for me of someone who could make a 12 round fight enetertaining without neccesarily having one punch KO power at the higher level.
Don't get me started on the heavyweights!! ****ing boring ****ers these days mate
Old 12-14-2012, 07:19 AM   #29
Little Tyson
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
a guy specialized in blowouts getting a lesson for twelve rounds
Probably the worse type of fight this is.

I think if you say you like "a 12 round boxing masterclass" more you are quite blatantly lying. Nothing beats a war, its what makes boxing, if boxing was just "masterclasses" and no one ever put there balls on the line no one would like the sport.
Little Tyson is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 07:26 AM   #30
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApatheticLeader View Post
I love masterclasses that end in late stoppages.
Yep... the TKO12 just rounds it off nicely.

Separately, I love seeing drug cheats get their shit pushed in. So Berto losing to Guerrero went down very nicely.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum