Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #1
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773
Default Small Wrists ?

Does it really matter how big your wrists are in boxing ? i'm about 6'1 and still growing do wrists grow as i grow or not, my wrist size is 6.49 inches, how is this for boxing i know the usual guy who is 6'1 usually has 8 inch wrists, my waist and ankles are wide though it's jut my wrist that is small does it mean small bone structure and breaking my hands or will they grow as i get older? And will training make them stronger? hitting the heavy bag ect

Last edited by Theron; 12-13-2012 at 11:03 PM.
Theron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 250
Default Re: Small Wrists ?

I have tiny wrists. They hurt and have got stingers/swelling all the time going on. It does seem like the small, boney nature of them are the issue.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #3
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

I've got thin wrists. My power isn't bad, but I am curious as to whether strengthening them allows for more follow through. I've heard fighters who move up in weight and carry their power do so because of the thickness of their wrists. Makes sense to me in theory, more mass and density means more of a medium for the force to travel through.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I've heard just hitting the heavy bag increases size and strength any truth you think ?
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 01:23 AM   #5
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Size has nothing to do with density. The density of your bones will increase when you hit the bags. That's an old wives tales about thickness of the wrist and punching, there's absolutely nothing behind it.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
Size has nothing to do with density. The density of your bones will increase when you hit the bags. That's an old wives tales about thickness of the wrist and punching, there's absolutely nothing behind it.
I thought that too as soon as i heard about this i thought about Sandy Sadler ho only had 6 inch wrists and Jimmy Wilde and they could hit hard as hell especially Sandy
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

But then again they were in the very very light weight classes...
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
gumbo2176
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Does it really matter how big your wrists are in boxing ? i'm about 6'1 and still growing do wrists grow as i grow or not, my wrist size is 6.49 inches, how is this for boxing i know the usual guy who is 6'1 usually has 8 inch wrists, my waist and ankles are wide though it's jut my wrist that is small does it mean small bone structure and breaking my hands or will they grow as i get older? And will training make them stronger? hitting the heavy bag ect

You mention hour height but don't say anything about your weight. If the other guy at 6'+ is heavier than you, it stands to reason he could have larger wrists than you. Out of curiosity, I measured my wrists and the left is 7.25 inches and the right(my dominant hand) is 7.5 inches round.

If you think your wrists may be prone to injury, try wrapping them better and farther up the arm for more support. That, and concentrate on your punching technique to not develop bad habits that could possibly cause injury.
gumbo2176 is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

i am 6 foot tall 165 pounds heavy and having very small wrists - 6.7 inch. i never had problem with them, its all in proper punching. i heard for many injuries on heavy bag because of bad technique, small wrists shouldnt be a problem.
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I heard that if your little finger is over 3.5 inches long you'll be able to punch harder than the average guy. Is this true?
viru§™ is online now  Top
Old 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #11
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
I heard that if your little finger is over 3.5 inches long you'll be able to punch harder than the average guy. Is this true?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:43 AM   #12
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo2176 View Post
You mention hour height but don't say anything about your weight. If the other guy at 6'+ is heavier than you, it stands to reason he could have larger wrists than you. Out of curiosity, I measured my wrists and the left is 7.25 inches and the right(my dominant hand) is 7.5 inches round.

If you think your wrists may be prone to injury, try wrapping them better and farther up the arm for more support. That, and concentrate on your punching technique to not develop bad habits that could possibly cause injury.
Right now i'm around 78 kgs but i havn't done anything for while and am out of shape, yeah i've never had an injury before but i heard people talking about this and was curious about it i don't really think it matters, the one thing that does stack up is there are no heavyweights i've found that have a 6-7 inch wrist and the guys that have 6 inch wrist like 6 1/4 wrists ect seem to be in the lower weight classes welter usually
Theron is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 04:47 AM   #13
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Right now i'm around 78 kgs but i havn't done anything for while and am out of shape, yeah i've never had an injury before but i heard people talking about this and was curious about it i don't really think it matters, the one thing that does stack up is there are no heavyweights i've found that have a 6-7 inch wrist it seems that the only guys around the 6-6.5 inch wrist seem to be around fetherweight
Uhh.. because they are smaller? Am I missing something?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #14
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Right now i'm around 78 kgs but i havn't done anything for while and am out of shape, yeah i've never had an injury before but i heard people talking about this and was curious about it i don't really think it matters, the one thing that does stack up is there are no heavyweights i've found that have a 6-7 inch wrist and the guys that have 6 inch wrist like 6 1/4 wrists ect seem to be in the lower weight classes welter usually
You've actually researched this? You've got too much time on your hands.

There's so many factors that can make up an injury for an individual. Ligament strength, tendon strength, flexibility, bone density, muscle strength, technique, just to name a few. In some cases like technique, you can put it down to this factor, but wrist size you can't.
viru§™ is online now  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
deadhead
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 550

I have small wrists, extremely small! I had a linked watch that never fit me then 3 months into boxing it started fitting snug. 9 months later it's nice and tight. It could be because i grew but my wrists always would hurt like a bitch the next after doing bag work or sparring, now not so much.
deadhead is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing