Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #61
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 22,374
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jeffries Admits Munroe Did Not Merit Title Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Who said it was a fix? Do you have any names? The new reports say it was an action fight with heavy punches landed. McCoy was a good fighter, with wins over name heavies.





According to the ref, it was a bit of both. We know you are not fair minded on this and other topics is not your bag. The important Corbett match for Jeffries was the first fight. Corbett was in top shape, 33, and his own people consider it his best ring effort.

Who says so?

It seems certain that McCoy faked the knockout loss to win bets.
Thats Box rec


[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]



"The adoration was short-lived, as his next fight, a five-round knockout over [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_McCoy"]Kid McCoy[/ame], was widely believed to be a fix."


"August 30 - James J. Corbett KOs Kid McCoy, five rounds, Madison Square Garden. Rumors surface that McCoy took a dive. The question is never satisfactorily answered. The same day the Horton law, governing boxing in New York since 1896, is repealed by the Lewis Law. Boxing will continue in New York on a [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] membership basis only until 1911."



The two in retirement below.


[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTbHplYRhYA[/ame]

It seems certain that [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] faked the knockout
loss to win bets
CBZ

"The Corbett fight was the subject of controversy, as the ending was suspect and Corbett's estranged wife claimed the bout was fixed. That became the general opinion among New York sportwriters "
In your previous post ,you made three threeads I ripped them to pieces , you havent even referred to them here!
Par for the course really.

Do you know, the only reason I bother baiting you is for the entertainment value. You are beyond a joke, you are farcical.

Last edited by mcvey; 12-14-2012 at 06:16 PM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #62
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,988
vCash: 685
Default Re: Jeffries Admits Munroe Did Not Merit Title Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza View Post
Who said it was a fix? Do you have any names? The new reports say it was an action fight with heavy punches landed. McCoy was a good fighter, with wins over name heavies.





According to the ref, it was a bit of both. We know you are not fair minded on this and other topics is not your bag. The important Corbett match for Jeffries was the first fight. Corbett was in top shape, 33, and his own people consider it his best ring effort.
It is an interesting thought though. McCoy was clearly the leading contender around the time of McCoy - Corbett, it seems. Quite clearly, imo.

This win, pretty much does legitimise the Corbett Jeffries II fight if it is on the level, especially after Corbett Jeffries I. In fact, it may even be one of Corbett's best wins, quality of opponent wise. Though i suppose that Others might point to the delay between this fight and the Jeffries corbett, but i must admit, i am not that big on fighters losing their status due to inactivity, like others are. I think status needs to be earned by beating others with status.

Of course, if it is a fake, what does this mean? Should McCoy really keep the no 1 status in light of a fake loss. Is there enough evidence to call it a fake. How bad would a Jeffries McCoy fight look if it had been taken after a corbett loss?
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #63
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,530
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jeffries Admits Munroe Did Not Merit Title Chance

My book, In the Ring With James J. Jeffries, devotes a chapter to the Corbett-McCoy fight. The Horton law was not repealed as a result of this fight. It was already repealed, with such law set to go into effect Sept. 1. Hence lots of fights were happening before the repeal went into effect, because they knew that New York money was about to be gone. Corbett and McCoy had been previously scheduled to fight before Jim's father went insane and killed his wife and himself. Whether the fight was fixed or not remains unclear. I do not think there is any definitive evidence. Corbett denied it in his autobiography. The sportswriters who saw the fight believed it was legitimate. One said if it was fixed then it was the acme of acting. Keep in mind also that Corbett was bigger than McCoy, and was very sharp at that time - only some months after he gave Jeffries hell. Their wives accused them of fixing it, but they were estranged at the time. Plus, there were aspects to the wives' stories that didn't make sense or were contradictory. Still, many back then, including today, want to believe the worst. Many prefer the sensational. Sells more newspapers. Sometimes it is true, though. I lean towards thinking it was on the up and up, but maybe I'm naive.
apollack is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #64
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 22,374
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jeffries Admits Munroe Did Not Merit Title Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
It is an interesting thought though. McCoy was clearly the leading contender around the time of McCoy - Corbett, it seems. Quite clearly, imo.

This win, pretty much does legitimise the Corbett Jeffries II fight if it is on the level, especially after Corbett Jeffries I. In fact, it may even be one of Corbett's best wins, quality of opponent wise. Though i suppose that Others might point to the delay between this fight and the Jeffries corbett, but i must admit, i am not that big on fighters losing their status due to inactivity, like others are. I think status needs to be earned by beating others with status.

Of course, if it is a fake, what does this mean? Should McCoy really keep the no 1 status in light of a fake loss. Is there enough evidence to call it a fake. How bad would a Jeffries McCoy fight look if it had been taken after a corbett loss?

Pollack believes the fight was legit, either way ,I don't think its that important really.

For arguments sake, let's say it was on the up and up, it's still three years before Corbett fought Jeffries with no fight in between.That makes it ONE win for Corbett in nine and a half years.
We have a three years retired ex champion who is a month off thirty seven years old, challenging a prime active champ, nearly ten years his junior ,who has a twenty seven pounds weight advantage over him.
given these disadvantages, what sort of an fight would you expect him to put up?

As it was it took Jeffries ten rounds to finish him.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #65
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 22,374
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jeffries Admits Munroe Did Not Merit Title Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollack View Post
My book, In the Ring With James J. Jeffries, devotes a chapter to the Corbett-McCoy fight. The Horton law was not repealed as a result of this fight. It was already repealed, with such law set to go into effect Sept. 1. Hence lots of fights were happening before the repeal went into effect, because they knew that New York money was about to be gone. Corbett and McCoy had been previously scheduled to fight before Jim's father went insane and killed his wife and himself. Whether the fight was fixed or not remains unclear. I do not think there is any definitive evidence. Corbett denied it in his autobiography. The sportswriters who saw the fight believed it was legitimate. One said if it was fixed then it was the acme of acting. Keep in mind also that Corbett was bigger than McCoy, and was very sharp at that time - only some months after he gave Jeffries hell. Their wives accused them of fixing it, but they were estranged at the time. Plus, there were aspects to the wives' stories that didn't make sense or were contradictory. Still, many back then, including today, want to believe the worst. Many prefer the sensational. Sells more newspapers. Sometimes it is true, though. I lean towards thinking it was on the up and up, but maybe I'm naive.
Whether you are naive or not it matters little,Corbett was palpably finished when he fought Jeffries the second time , as such I can give Jeffries little kudos for the win.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #66
mattdonnellon
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,937
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jeffries Admits Munroe Did Not Merit Title Chance

Never could figure the truth of Corbett-McCoy myself, if for real its probably Corbett's best win as McCoy was as Boilermaker stated just about the number one contender. I suppose as such it's hard to see why he'd throw the fight. As to the substance of the thread nobody knew better than Jeff that Munroe wasn't up to much, and he wasn't. He was however well ballyhooed and this fooled a lot of the public and indeed some sportswriters.
mattdonnellon is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #67
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Garden Of England
Posts: 22,374
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Jeffries Admits Munroe Did Not Merit Title Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdonnellon View Post
Never could figure the truth of Corbett-McCoy myself, if for real its probably Corbett's best win as McCoy was as Boilermaker stated just about the number one contender. I suppose as such it's hard to see why he'd throw the fight. As to the substance of the thread nobody knew better than Jeff that Munroe wasn't up to much, and he wasn't. He was however well ballyhooed and this fooled a lot of the public and indeed some sportswriters.
A balanced opinion, makes a pleasant change here.
mcvey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013