Old 12-15-2012, 05:50 AM   #571
BatTheMan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Discuss fighters Jones Jr ducked in his prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudon View Post
Bat, you're putting up a good fight, and that's good, because I love debating, but it's all there in black and white.

I read quite a lot of your posts on other subjects, before I started debating with you, so I know you're not an idiot. It seems quite clear to everyone but you and Bailey (who'd swear that black was white) what went on.

I'm assuming you're just having a bit of fun.

It's obvious that the double header would have promoted the fight, and made it a huge event.

Murad has told us roughly what DM was making.

Now are you seriously implying (after reading 5 articles and watching a video) that you think the double header would have been only for €500K with no guaranteed shot after?

Ha!

Kohl dismissed the double header straight away which was stupid, because it proved that Roy and HBO wanted to hype he fight to make it big. It's literally the worst hing he could have done.
I'm quite sure now that you do not have any credible source telling us that Kohl dismissed the offer without looking at it.

Quote:
Let's put things into perspective.

Murad has told us what he was roughly fighting for.

Now go and pull up his resume.

He was fighting for not a lot of money, against B Class opposition in Germany, he then gets offered a chance to promote a fight with Roy in a double header, then Kohl takes offence (conveniently) and says DM's too good to fight on an undercard. Really Peter? You're guy's above fighting on an undercard, yet he fights nobodies in Germany for €1M. Ha! That's what I'd have said if I'd have been there. It's laughable!
But how can you say that when you do not know the offer? You dont know the offer!

Quote:
Kohl's a successful businessman. He would never have mad a decision like that, UNLESS it was an excuse because DM didn't want the fight.
Or maybe he just had no guaranteed shot at Jones afterwards?

Would you take the undercard slot for less than you make normally without a guaranteed Jones-shot?

I sure would not knowing Jones elusiveness at the negotiating table. Who's to say that Jones wouldn't back out and tell everyone that he'd now pursue a shot at Holyfield/Tyson/Lewis instead?

I'd say Kohl would be a terrible businessman if just took such an offer.

Quote:
He continued to fight nobodies after the talks broke down.

What does that say to you? I know what it says to me.

It's as clear as the nose on my face.

Kohl put up the roadblock, because they didn't want it.

If you can't work that out, go and see your Doctor.

People are going to start calling you Dailey soon, the Danish Bailey.

Regards, Loudon.
Or Jones just did not want to commit. That's another possible explanation for those of us who don't take the words from one of the parties as gospel.
BatTheMan is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #572
BatTheMan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Head View Post
Loudon, which Middleweight/Super Middleweight in the 90's would give Jones the most problems...or is there any fighter you'd take over Jones in the 90's?
Nunn would IMO be the best bet to topple Jones.
BatTheMan is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #573
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

green eyed monster syndrome - asking who the greatest fighter of his era 'ducked' when most of the names people come up with will be european fighters who never went over to make the fight happen!

20 years on and the 'rules' remain the same - if you want to fight the best boxers on the planet, you need to get your ass on a plane and make it happen or be doomed to euro obscurity
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 AM   #574
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Head View Post
Loudon, which Middleweight/Super Middleweight in the 90's would give Jones the most problems...or is there any fighter you'd take over Jones in the 90's?

Roy wasn't at his absolute peak until he was in his mid 20's at 168.

I think there's a lot of fighters that would have given him trouble.

I think a younger Mike McCallum would have given him all he could handle. But Mike's peak was at 154. So they would have been at different weights.

But I think a younger 160 version of Mike, like the one Toney fought would have troubled him.

I think Herol Bomber Graham would also have caused him a lot of trouble. Although Bomber's peak was in the 80's really.

A young Micheal Nunn would have caused him a lot of trouble at 160, but not so much at 168, and I think he'd faded quite a lot at 175.

Jackson and the G-Man would have been dangerous.

At 168,

I think Eubank would have been a little awkward.

I think Benn would have charged him and been dangerous for about 4/5 rounds.

Liles would definitely have troubled Roy being a southpaw with his attributes.

I Honestly don't believe that Collins or Calzaghe would have caused him that much trouble when he was in his peak.

DM at 175 would have caused him a bit of trouble, but I'd have picked Roy to outpoint him in the end.

Styles make fights. I think he'd have had his hands full with the fighters I've mentioned, especially Nunn and McCallum earlier.

But without being biased, I honestly think he'd have beaten them all.

I think people tend to forget just how fast he was, especially at 160.

I think his speed would have caused lots of problems, and neutralised a lot of their attacks.

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #575
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvizzz View Post
I know this may sound crazy, but consider this.... Loudon and Bailey are the same person. A mega troll who is skizo... Talking to himself...
I heard a guy called silencer used set up questions and answer them himself through his alt account!! Every sort of nutjob passes through this place. Hahaha
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #576
Hotsauce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

who was roy jones promoter?
Hotsauce is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #577
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
who was roy jones promoter?
promoted himself for most of his career from memory
Old 12-15-2012, 10:29 AM   #578
Hotsauce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
promoted himself for most of his career from memory
is that why he wasn't on ppv?
Hotsauce is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #579
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
is that why he wasn't on ppv?
it's probably why he was never a $$ PPV fighter, yeah
Old 12-15-2012, 10:46 AM   #580
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=round15;14402354]

Quote:
Dariusz Michalczewski & Graciano Rocchigianni.

Hi mate,

Go to post 78 on this thread to read about DM.

Roch was supposed to be fighting Roy in 2000, and Telesco was Roy's replacement.

Quote:
I was hoping to see Roy Jones Jr fight these two guys even if it meant him going to their yards to get the job done. Thought Roy should have braved up and cleaned up the division with fights against each. They didn't have to be in close proximity to one another but he should have these guys on his resume.

Would have also been nice to be talking about Jones' trilogies with Toney and Hopkins. Easily could have happened with both. 3 fights total is not satisfactory especially with one a rematch that came decades past the due date.

This doesn't make an ounce of sense to me. How could Roy have had a trilogy with Toney and Hopkins? Unless you think that Hop would have won an earlier rematch, it doesn't make sense.

Trilogies come when two fighters have a close fight, and then there's a call for a rematch. If both fighters are 1-1 then a rubber match is the decider, or they may have been controversy surrounding the result.

Roy embarrassed James Toney. There was no need to fight him again. I think if he had have done, then the result would have been the same, if Roy was peak.

But there was never any need to rematch him in the first place. I respect your opinion, but I can't understand your thinking.

Quote:
Chris Byrd is another guy I would have liked to have seen him fight too. Two guys with different use of speed and tactics, angles and counter punches.
I think that would have been an intruiging fight.

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #581
jaois138
Dinamita
ESB Full Member

vCash: 676

It's not that he didn't fight nobody. It's just that he made them look like nobody. Y'ALL MUST OF FORGOT!!! [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWdT_bso2qE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWdT_bso2qE[/ame]
jaois138 is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #582
Loudon
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=BatTheMan;14403346]

Quote:
I'm quite sure now that you do not have any credible source telling us that Kohl dismissed the offer without looking at it.
What are you talking about? The proposed double header led to a fight that was worth in the region of $6M

Kohl dismissed the proposal

Quote:
But how can you say that when you do not know the offer? You dont know the offer
I don't know the offer? Kohl turned down the proposal. It was nothing to do with how much money DM was going to get paid. He turned down the idea of it, by saying DM wasn't an undercard fighter which was retarded.

DM was getting paid $1M-$1.5M

The double header was a good idea to hype the fight, to make it big.

Kohl turned down the opportunity, and then DM continued fighting guys like Hall for the same money he'd been on.

Now what does that say to you??

Quote:
Or maybe he just had no guaranteed shot at Jones afterwards?
Don't be an idiot! Why the **** would HBO want to stage a double header, if they weren't definitely going to make the fight afterwards?

Quote:
Would you take the undercard slot for less than you make normally without a guaranteed Jones-shot?
Of course it was guaranteed you fool! Again, why the **** would HBO want to pay for a double header to promote a fight, but then NOT go through with it? Ha! You're being ridiculous!

The fight with Roy was worth about $6M to DM.

Quote:
I sure would not knowing Jones elusiveness at the negotiating table. Who's to say that Jones wouldn't back out and tell everyone that he'd now pursue a shot at Holyfield/Tyson/Lewis instead?
Because at the time, the fight with DM was Roy's main objective. Murad approached those fighters two years after these talks were held.

Quote:
I'd say Kohl would be a terrible businessman if just took such an offer.
What offer?

At the end of the rainbow, there was a potential $6M and a chance to win his old belts back.

The opportunity was turned down, to instead carry on fighting guys like Hall and Harmon for $1M-1.5M

Wake the **** up!

According to Kohl, DM was too good to appear on an undercard with Roy, even though it would have hyped the fight for a huge unification showdown.

Apparently DM was too proud.

Funny how he then went on to fight Richard Hall twice.

Too proud to promote a fight with the best fighter in the world, but he was ok fighting Harmon and Hall. Right, I've got you! Makes perfect sense.

Kohl was either the WORST BUSINESSMAN who's ever been in business, or DM didn't want the fight. Which one are you going with?

Quote:
Or Jones just did not want to commit. That's another possible explanation for those of us who don't take the words from one of the parties as gospel.
Commit?? He sent Brad Jacobs to have talks with Kohl and HBO to try and MAKE the fight!

He fought on HBO 25 times. Of course he was commited, they paid him a fortune, and everybody wanted the fight.

You haven't got a clue.

Nobody could come to the conclusion that you have, after reading those 5 articles and watching that video.

So I'm assuming you're winding me up, for a laugh?

Nobody could be this daft.

You really are the Danish Bailey.

You and him would be the greatest lawyers that had ever lived.

You should get in contact with him. You could both make millions.

Regards, Loudon.
Loudon is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #583
Hotsauce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
it's probably why he was never a $$ PPV fighter, yeah
thanks for the info
Hotsauce is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #584
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatesrats View Post
Julian Jackson
Gerald McClellan
Nigel Benn
Chris Eubanks
Lamar Parks
This!

Add Michalczewski and Collins to the list as well.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2012, 02:49 PM   #585
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
This!

Add Michalczewski and Collins to the list as well.
Yea,and superman and incredible hulk as well.
Gtfo.LOL
pecho26 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum