Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 12-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #121
Angol
Francisco Scaramanga
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: *Grzegorz Proksa*

aye, i saw on his fb page that he was back in training. im sure i read here that proksa taught himself to box, is that correct?

proksa vs barker, makes sense. i would personally like to see that fight. proksa would need a win, though. cant see where else there is to go for him, should he lose. perhaps a matchup with ndam, wouldnt be a bad matchup in (in terms of two fighters coming off losses).

i like proksa, although he does remind me of a young polish guy from a small village haha (no offence, to you guys). you know, overly religious, speaking with a weird accent, his mild form of ADHD (in his mannerisms, etc).
Angol is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 PM   #122
Faerun
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1171

Barker will stop him
Faerun is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #123
gregy741
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angol View Post
aye, i saw on his fb page that he was back in training. im sure i read here that proksa taught himself to box, is that correct?

proksa vs barker, makes sense. i would personally like to see that fight. proksa would need a win, though. cant see where else there is to go for him, should he lose. perhaps a matchup with ndam, wouldnt be a bad matchup in (in terms of two fighters coming off losses).

i like proksa, although he does remind me of a young polish guy from a small village haha (no offence, to you guys). you know, overly religious, speaking with a weird accent, his mild form of ADHD (in his mannerisms, etc).
you would be surprised,but he is actually in bank management board member..
well i dont know if i put it correctly..in any case he is one of bank manager in his private life
gregy741 is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 06:45 AM   #124
Angol
Francisco Scaramanga
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregy741 View Post
you would be surprised,but he is actually in bank management board member..
well i dont know if i put it correctly..in any case he is one of bank manager in his private life
that is surprising, I still see him in the same light, though. the winner of barker vs proksa to fight Murray ( when he loses to Martinez)?
Angol is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #125
Angol
Francisco Scaramanga
ESB Full Member

just seen an update on proksa's fb page, any poles here that can translate roughly what was said?
Angol is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #126
damian38
El Chicano- #1 GGG fan
East Side Guru

Węgierska Górka, it's difficult to pronounce in the US and England?.

They're learning. They come into the dressing room and ask how to pronounce it. They're getting better.

What's so special about this place?

Everything. The first time I came here, I knew it would be my place on earth. You know how it is? When you achieve something, people look at you differently, something starts to bother them. Jealousy, and all. It's different here. Here, I have support. I train, run around, and I hear: "Go, go. Good luck in your next fight". It's a small district, everyone recognises me.

I saw a TV interview you gave. The logo of Bank Spółdzielczy in the backround. Then I read, you're a board member. A boxer in a bank board?

It was like this. In one of my fights I broke my hand and had a 7 month layoff. I had different thoughts. What would I do if I couldn't box again, something like that. I started looking into economy, reading books. I knew the bank manager, we used to run together. He invited me, I bought some shares. Then he chose me to become a board member and I got enough votes to get in.

Are you training now?

I can't. This week and the next (the interview took place 28 December) we need to close next year's budget.

The bank's?

Not only the bank's. I'm my own manager and I talk myself with potential sponsors. I can't train hard, when I'm thinking about the person in front of me, who could be my future sponsor. When I train, I think about how to beat up the opponent in the ring.

In "MaleMan" you said that boxing was like chess. Do you watch the opponent long before your fights?.

Yes. Even the facial expressions are important.I need to know, how the guy will react to a punch. His expressions, his hand movement, how he moves on his feet. Everything. In the ring you have to be a good actor. Some people are good at hiding what they feel. Often I watch the opponent and write down a few of his flaws. Then thanks to his flaws I win my fights. People see 2 guys in the ring, but it goes much deeper.

I heard someone at SkySports mention you. You know what they said?

I would like to know.

That Proksa is over-rated.

The English have a specific ego. The same during World War II. Obviously they won, not the Polish pilots. To them, we're marginal, and they're the best on the world. That was always how it was and will be. I'm not bothered with those kind of opinions.

You like history?

Yes, of course.

Which era?

The 20 years between the 2 World Wars.

Just like Marcin Najman.

How so?

He also likes that era.

I hoped you would compare me to serious boxers (laugh).

Are there a lot in Poland? Serious boxers?

Proffesional boxing in Poland is starting to build, but we already have some good fighters. We don't have a problem with PR. Someone comes out and says "hey, I'm the best", he'd hit someone at the weigh-in and he's automatically famous. But his achievements are much worse. Today, we have maybe not 10, but at least 5 guys who are coming up in the world rankings. Artur Szpilka, Mateusz Masternak, European Champion. Sosnowski, Wach, Piotr Wilczewski. And so on. The sport half is there. What's missing is some luck and money.

Before, there was Gołota.Do you think that if he had a better psychologist, that people would today put him in one row with Ali or Tyson?

No. A boxer's psyche can't be changed. Either you have it, or you don't. Gołota didn't. I know that if something was wrong with mine, nobody would be able to help me. Maybe help my private life. But in the ring? No.

Are you worried that more people are turning towards MMA? That they see better organized cards and will turn to it?

Let them. The more young people choose sport the better

Is it bad?

I thing that today's young people are crippled.

Tough words.

But true. Today's youth is crippled, they can't do anything. I train some boys here, and maybe 10 of them can do the exercise right. The rest doesn't belong here.

[BWhy's that?[/b]

Mentality and all these new technologies. It's easier to beat someone at XBox than in the ring. And God forbid that they get hurt. You can't get hurt before a computer. In the ring, you feel the pain.

Not long ago Adamek felt the pain. You didn't name him in your list of top Polish boxers. Tell me, who won the fight…

Cunningham.

You didn't let me finish.

I feel bad for Cunninghamowi. I was robbed once and I felt awful. I'll say this - a boxing fight is 12 rounds 3 minutes each. Not 10 seconds of each round.

Robberies are common in boxing?

To some degree they were always in boxing. Maybe not that much these days, but business is still more important that sport rivalries. It has to be said clear.

You have something in common with Adamek.

What? I don't see similarites.

People say that both of you decided to fight for a title too quickly. He had no chance with Vitali Klitschko, you with Giennadij Gołovkin. You could of waited..

Listen, I've dreamed of a fight like that since I was six. The only mistake was the date of the fight. I was preparing to fight a southpaw, and suddenly I get the word that I'm fighting an orthodox Kazach. And I have 5 weeks to get ready. It was not enough. But I got some valuable experience from this.

You like to dance?

What a change in subject. Dancing?

Yes.

No, not at all. I don't have many opportunities anyway.

I'm asking, because most boxers go straight in the ring. Concentrated. And you do something like a dance. It's like you're in a trance.

It's just my way of relaxing. Physically and mentally. That's why I'm never stressed or tentative in the ring. And happy. This is my way of showing that boxing is my passion. I love the moments when I reach the top and get past certain barriers.

During your fights you also dance. Low hands, dodging punches, relying on reflexes. Like you're trying to provoke. To say "it's me, Proksa, I'm that good.".

it's not like that. I'm not trying to show my opponent anything. That's just my style in the ring. I've developed this with hard work and years of training. And I try to be ready for every situation. Punches can come from many angles and directions.

Andrzej Kostyra always says your hands are always too low.

I respect Andrzej, I think he knows why I fight like I do. My style is unique in Polish boxing, and everyone needs some time to accept new things. Some like it, some don't. I can say that I like the color brown, but you don't.
damian38 is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #127
damian38
El Chicano- #1 GGG fan
East Side Guru

Are you bothered by others' opinions?

Not at all. The most important thing to me is what I do. Those who know me know what kind of person I am. And others? It's different - a few hours ago in Węgierska Górka we had an opening of a new building and someone asked me what I do for a living. I said I'm a boxer. The person reacted stranegly, maybe because he thinks of boxing the same as of martial arts from american films.

Before Golovkin, your career was teemed with wins, your European title and suddenly a loss. Against Kerry Hope, who no one believed in. What does an athelete feel in such a moment?

I've been boxing for years, and I know how when I won a fight. After the last bell I thought I won. But I was fighting in England, with 4 English judges. After the scoring was announced, I felt pain inside.

You couldn't sleep for a long time?

I couldn't. I spent the nights awake. Right until my promoter announced the rematch.

Was it thinking, what I could of done better?

It was pain you couldn't describe in words. At least I can't. Maybe I'm not eloquent enough to describe it. I remember I took nightime walks around Węgierska Górka.

You suffered a bad cut in the fight, which gave you problems with your vision. If it wasn't for the cut, would you have won before the final bell?

Maybe even quicker than in the rematch. I had him worked out. That fighter never had anything over me.

What happens, when you can see through only one eye?

Instinct kicks in. And earlier fear, that the referee will stop the fight and you'll lose in a silly way. Because of some stupid cut or injury. I was afraid, I kept whiping my eye, I fought with different tactics.

I saw that during that fight you talked in the ring with Hope

Yes I did.

Remember what you said?

Not anymore.

And one more thing. After your knockout win in the rematch, you approach Hope and tell him…

He should be proud of himself. And that the title is coming back where it should be.

Where it was since your win over Sebastian Sylvestre. It was incredible - October 2011,nobody gave you any chances, you were confident, and then you come out, sorry - dancing out into the ring - and your opponent has no arguments over you. Total domination. And the boxing world hears about Grzegorz Proksa.

To me it was special, because Sylvestre is German.

You don't like Germans?

No (laugh).

That's interesting. You like history, so you probably know that Węgierska Górka…

Was another Westerplatte. It fended off Hitler's army for a long time. And after I beat Sylvestre, it was euphoria. To beat a German, a former champion, i his home town, in such style before the last bell. Someone then said, hey Rysiu Riedel sing, that only moments are beautiful in life? It was one of those moments. Maybe even the most beautiful.

Did you listen to this in the dressing room before the fight?

The whole CD of "Dżem". "Naiwne pytania", "Złoty paw" was played too. "Sen o Victorii" wasn't, because I changed it, it was too slow. Everyone in the dressing room was singing. In my dressing room before fights, there must always be happiness and laughter. Total relaxation, jokes, best not to think of the fight yet. Everything you could, you did during training. You won't think of anything new. You won't fool yourself.

You talk about "Dżem". Any other songs?

I listened to Pink Floyd, the CD "The Wall". The songs reminded me of my childhood, my dad. Every song I listen to reminds me of a different moment in life. Often to moments that happened years ago.

Shame that "Dżem" wasn't yet in the Polish dressing room. How is it that such a succesful boxer hasn't yet fought in Poland? There was Las Vegas, now mostly England.

It's about the finsanses. It's the biggest problem. You came to do this interview? From Wisła to Węgierska Górka. You didn't come here because you like me so much or that you want to do this interview. You came here, because it's your job. If you have to talk to someone tommorrow, and have a headache, then you don't. But if your boss says: "listen, go to him, it's great material for an interview", then you go. I have it the same way. I have a job, from which I'm later judged. Media, fans. I'd like to fight in Poland, but for a good price.

Maybe Proksa wants too much.

No, of course not. It's not some huge sum of moeny. I want to be treated right. I don't want to be pushed over. Do you understand now?

Yes.

It hurts like hell that I can't fight in Poland. My fans, who travel to watch my fights, have to pay for expensive plane tickets. Well, maybe not anymore, since it's cheaper to fly to London than to Gdańsk. But they have to travel, pay for a hotel, for this and that. And I'm most happy that they can witness happy moments. That they can get out of their everyday life. My fights are a sort of novelty for them.

Do you see this?

Yes. And it makes me happy.

Where would yoy be today, if it wasn't for boxing? Have you given this some thought?

I'd think of something.

Maybe we'd be reading about the Pole from Węgierska Górka, who's winning the Tour de France?

I don't think so. I love cycling, but it's an expensive sport. Too much for me.

Expensive and riddled with doping. Some say that after Armstrong it's not been the same.

Hard to say, because Armstrong was an inspiration for me. The 90's, it was him, but also Miguel Indurain, a Spaniard from the group Banesto. He was fantastic. Then there was Bjarne Riis, Eric Zabel, a great sprinter. Then Armstrong, and his book "Every Second Counts". Something incredible, beating barriers, fighting against people who are against you. And his cheating? It's sad. But do you watch the Tour de France?

Many years. Especially the mountain segments.

It's very demanding and eating only macaroni won't help you. You have to take some stuff into your body, because it's fearsome. I know this, because I once started in an amateur race and if I didn't get some cheese from a local man, I wouldn't have made itł.

Was it a long race?

Something like 160 kms. In the mountains.

Not bad. It would of taken me at least 6 hours.

You know how much it took me? Four something. Four twenty something. I saw experienced cyclists walking up the uphill lengths. And I kept on riding. I'm only sad that I didn't sign up to the race on time. I raced the rest, just without a number. I went on and finished the race in good time.

That's what you have? Consequently keep going?

Yes.

What's your goal in boxing for now?

Get back the European Campionship. Then another world title shot.

Your son will follow in your footsteps?

He plays football.

So there's perspective. In Poland you don't have to play well to earn a lot.

So he should scam the fans? I try to keep him away from boxing, but I see that he has a thing for it. He even has a fight under his belt.

A win?

He boxed when he was about six. Abroad, because in Poland he couldn't yet. In his age group there's no judging. It's always a draw, regardless of what happens in the ring. But he dropped his opponent in the second round. In my view he won (laugh).

I see you're raising your son through sports.

I'm a father, who tries to teach his child good values.

What's most important?

(a moment of silence). I think friendship. Honesty. Or maybe faith, yes, faith as first.

Faith in what?

In yourself and God.
damian38 is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #128
Angol
Francisco Scaramanga
ESB Full Member

dzieki bardzo

interesting interview. its interesting to learn more about proksa, as a person. i had no idea he would be outspoken, yet in an articulate way. some pretty funny points in there, about najman in particular
Angol is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #129
damian38
El Chicano- #1 GGG fan
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angol View Post
dzieki bardzo

interesting interview. its interesting to learn more about proksa, as a person. i had no idea he would be outspoken, yet in an articulate way. some pretty funny points in there, about najman in particular
said some true things about Adamek too

I see a similarity between Super G and Sergio: both used to cycle and both have that weird, slick southpaw style

do all former cyclists who turn pro boxer have that style?
damian38 is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #130
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Great interview thanks alot for translating.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #131
ogii3
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Very good article. Good job by the reporter and huge respect to Gregorz! I am huge fan of him since i saw him fighting Silvester. Very smart and relaxed guy, who is kind of inspirational for every boxer with his way of thinking. And sounds very realistic, don't make cheap excuses.
ogii3 is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #132
znaak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thanks for the translation. Maybe just as interesting to read his interviews as to watch his fights.

Last time I was in Poland he unfortunately left the camp the same day as I arrived. Would've loved to get some rounds with him.
znaak is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #133
Angol
Francisco Scaramanga
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damian38 View Post
said some true things about Adamek too

I see a similarity between Super G and Sergio: both used to cycle and both have that weird, slick southpaw style

do all former cyclists who turn pro boxer have that style?
I see your point both could probably still make light middle, just for another similarity...

As for his words on adamek, and golota, props to proksa for going against the grain, somewhat. He could have come out full of praise, for polands two most famous boxers, with the usual lip service. But, he chose to be pragmatic, he appears to speak his mind, but actually makes some sense... A rare thing amongst boxers, these days...
Angol is offline  Top
Old 01-05-2013, 12:27 AM   #134
KERRIGAN
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 356

Great interview.

Proksa is an interesting guy, I hope he can bounce back after the GGG fight.
KERRIGAN is offline  Top
Old 01-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #135
Angol
Francisco Scaramanga
ESB Full Member

looks like proksa is about to return, judging by the post on his FB page...
Angol is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum