Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 12-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
Boxing&Blues
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default the method - johnny famechon

edit

Last edited by Boxing&Blues; 12-17-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Boxing&Blues is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
atigerofold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The method - johnny famechon

The book is good; but remember that the master - Ambrose Palmer, did not write it. Frank Quill and John Famechon wrote it; and whilst Fammo was still quite ill (after being hit by a car in Sydney.)

As a Palmer pupil, I did not think that the book is precisely detailed and revealed what Palmer actually delivered whilst teaching it. It seemed a bit short of some of Palmers teaching methods, in my view. I suppose this is to be expected from a different observer and deliverer. As a former boxer, trainer, I think that the book is still valuable as a teaching guide.

Famechon's boxing display as a pro boxer, oozed what The Methods results can produce.

Remember also, that The Method was much older that Ambrose Palmer; his dad taught him The Method and Palmer used it and boxed with it to protective perfection. The Method was taught by others also. My father learned The Method from young boxers at St.Vincents orphanage in the pre-war thirties; and some boxers promoted and taught it at Poppa Johnsons (Melbourne boxing trainer) in the early forties. Palmer started teaching the Method, in the early forties.

It is to be expected that different teachers of The Method, deliver it slightly differently, or describe it differently. There is a video on Youtube of Palmer delivering a small part of the drill work required in the delivery of The Method. What is missing in this video, is the defensive stategies behind every punch delivered. It does show the drills of ducking and catching punches, and where you should be when you come up from a ducked punch. I am sure you will find it if you search Ambrose Palmer boxing on Youtube. One of the great teaching skills Palmer had, which he used in his delivery of the Method, was to silently demonstrate or model the action he required. Palmer was a master in modelling and teaching boxing skills.

Last edited by atigerofold; 12-16-2012 at 11:42 PM.
atigerofold is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Da Voice
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing&Blues View Post
I'm really interested in this book. The little information I could find on it says that it's a tribute by famechon to his trainer and part instructional.

I thought I'd ask in here if anyone has any more information on it or even has the book.

Thanks
Available here @ $20 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Da Voice is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
swilson120
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Has anybody heard the song "the method" by tex Perkins and Tim rogers ?????
Fkn gold !!!!
swilson120 is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Boxing&Blues
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Last edited by Boxing&Blues; 12-17-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
atigerofold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

The Method, is a vast system of defensive boxing strategies. These strategies relate to stance, posture, punching moves, catching and blocking expected punches, randomly ducking punches, counter punching, building defensive style & technique into all boxing punches, building pace, foot placement and fluent movement accross the ring.....simplified, The Method's objective or philosophy ? is to hit, and not be hit.

I'll give you an example of building-in defensive strategies into one punch: Before you throw this punch, you must cater for the what ifs....the whatifs?..are usually the expected incoming blows that might be thrown in a countermove attack by your opponent. Simple punch for example: you throw a left jab, and you expect to be hit by either an incoming left jab, or right cross over your left lead.....Q: so what mechanism do you build into the left jab.... Answer: you hop up, and your back foot is about one foot behind your left foot, and it is used as the power foot leverage for your left jab; defensively you've tucked your chin in behind your left shoulder, and you hold your right hand rigidly over your chin..... You deliver your left jab solidly and rapidly (never tokenly). You remain alert, in wait for some expected return left jab from your opponent, or his right cross over the top of your left lead, and you remain highly alert for a sudden signal from him that he is going for a left hook as a return blow (as you throw your left lead) and, in this left hook case, you continue delivering you left jab, still tucking your chin behind your left lead, but moving your right hand sideways and over to cover your temple and diminish the power of his left hook (catch it and cover its power to the side of your head) So the defensive mechanism, or defensive counter move, is built in to the left lead punch. The finess in this strategy comes with your constant ROTE. (repitition of this exercise)

Another quick one: Palmer, and my dad, discouraged(more-so banned) the throwing of a right uppercut as a punch thrown as an initial blow, because if it is thrown initially as the lead punch, it opens up your chin for a left hook, or you can be destroyed by the opposition's quick stepback and left counter, or quick right cross thrown through to the keeper....it amazing how some boxers think that they can beat the hand of fate, and throw a lead right uppercut...foolish, high risk takers....) I have seen so many stupid fighters fly backwards onto their arse as they have tried to be successful in landing their lead right uppercut..... So the Method could also be regarded as the strategic science and risk management behind each move and punch.

Palmer delivered four rounds each night to his up and coming boys, and existing fighters.....If you are going to deliver or practise the Method, you should begin practise continually, the ducking and catching of punches as Palmer instigates in the video...that I recommended (previously). Having that stance, and that ability to catch punches, or duck them, builds the beginning of the mind set to not get hit, and to deliver counter blows and defensive attacks. Ducking punches and not being where your opponent thinks you were, is a great strategy to bamboozle any class of fighter....making em miss saps their energy too.....

Palmer's ROTE in catching punches was useful in saving the day/night...he called it 'tucking up'; often this tucking up method was used when a boxer had been delivered a bomb, and the tucking up and catching of following punches, helped him get through to the end of the round, and the finish of the fight. We dont see these protective strategies today.

I hope I have been of a slight help to you.

Last edited by atigerofold; 12-16-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
Rise Above
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 210

atigerofold you really need to post more often around here. Nice to hear someone who actually knows what theyre talking about instead of some of the lunatics we constantly hear.
Rise Above is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
atigerofold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Thanks for your comment RISE ABOVE.

Last edited by atigerofold; 12-17-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:59 PM   #9
Boxing&Blues
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atigerofold View Post

I hope I have been of a slight help to you.
Definitely

Is there anyone today that still uses the method?

Last edited by Boxing&Blues; 12-17-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #10
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Above View Post
atigerofold you really need to post more often around here. Nice to hear someone who actually knows what theyre talking about instead of some of the lunatics we constantly hear.
Riser aint that the truth , atogerofold my dad used to be a massive fan of Jimmy Wildes career and a lot of what your wrote in your excellent post is covered in a series of books entitled " The Art of Boxing" did your trainer /Dad teach you after understanding these specific methods ? Sometimes I feel "The art of boxing" has been lost through the passing of time .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #11
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Thumbs up Re: The method - johnny famechon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Riser aint that the truth , atogerofold my dad used to be a massive fan of Jimmy Wildes career and a lot of what your wrote in your excellent post is covered in a series of books entitled " The Art of Boxing" did your trainer /Dad teach you after understanding these specific methods ? Sometimes I feel "The art of boxing" has been lost through the passing of time .
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
It's a science Crusher as you know , I wasn't a pro but @ 50 years old I sometimes cringe when I see some so called mega stars who can't even shield , deflect or counterpunch correctly , these days boxing is all head down arse up milling with scant regard for defence .
Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
It's a science Crusher as you know , I wasn't a pro but @ 50 years old I sometimes cringe when I see some so called mega stars who can't even shield , deflect or counterpunch correctly , these days boxing is all head down arse up milling with scant regard for defence .
Couldn't agree more. Myself personally didn't start to start understanding the science of it until I trained with mike Mcallum what an education that was. He trained with Eddie futch, George Benton an Emanuel Steward among others.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #14
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: the method

Ha my mate tony feal was doing alright in the 78 Commonwealth games until he ran into Da body snatcher .
Old 12-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #15
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: the method

Quote:
Ha my mate tony feal was doing alright in the 78 Commonwealth games until he ran into Da body snatcher .
One of the greats. Mike won gold in 78 I think.
Crusher is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum