Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
The Spider

vCash:
Default UFC vision is for future events around Australia - inc at 60,000 seat venue

UFC officials want to hold between four to six events in Australia each year and stage a star-filled title fight in front of 60,000 fans at Melbourne's Etihad Stadium.

The UFC has bold plans for Australia. The world's biggest mixed martial arts organisation held a successful Queensland debut on Saturday at the Gold Coast Convention and Exhibition Centre.

UFC director of international development Marshall Zelaznik said while the company only had one event booked in Australia next year, they hoped to schedule more.

"The event will be in December. We are holding venues throughout the country and we will see how the schedule works out," Zelaznik said.

"But we are always looking and juggling our calendar. We could get another one here. We had two this year.

"We know this market could take four to six events (each year). It is just a matter of getting them here."

Zelaznik admitted the only way to get a legitimate UFC superstar on an Australian card, such as a George St-Pierre or Anderson Silva, would be to hold a stadium show under the roof at Melbourne's Etihad Stadium.

However, in Victoria MMA fights are not allowed to be staged inside a caged fence and must be held in a traditional boxing ring.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

>>> There have been murmurs the past few days of a push to get the ban of the use of a cage in Victoria lifted. This will be the reason. The push to get a major UFC event held at a Melbourne (Victoria) venue.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885
Default Re: UFC vision is for future events around Australia - inc at 60,000 seat venue

If they had a big ufc here it would probably be the first time I went to one depending on who was fighting.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: UFC vision is for future events around Australia - inc at 60,000 seat venue

I can see the laws changing in Victoria.

I have noticed the UFC has had interest in Australia. I didn't think it was this big. UFC might be expanding regional shows in many countries.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post

I have noticed the UFC has had interest in Australia. I didn't think it was this big. UFC might be expanding regional shows in many countries.
I guess they gave up on the UK and went for the aussies
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

^^No, just spreading the love.

Bigger events lie ahead!
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post

They will need to lobby the right people in the right manner to overturn Victoria's ban of cages. Smartly they are using 'improved fighter safety' as the platform, and pictures like this certainlyhelp the cause >>>

Old 12-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #7
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
They will need to lobby the right people in the right manner to overturn Victoria's ban of cages. Smartly they are using 'improved fighter safety' as the platform, and pictures like this certainlyhelp the cause >>>

In time I believe The UFC will do just that

Everybody wins, when The UFC comes to your town, your corner of the World.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #8
Primate
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

If there was a big show in Melbourne I'd definitely go.
Primate is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #9
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

It's probably because Australia isn't broke like the rest of the world and they - UFC can see dollar signs.
kel is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #10
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel View Post
It's probably because Australia isn't broke like the rest of the world and they - UFC can see dollar signs.
The strong Australian dollar is also an attraction. Nobody wanted to know us when our dollar was at $US 0.49. Now they are queuing up to visit here.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum