Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: living rent free in Buster 007's head
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 700
Default Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

Im getting excited and nervous as this fight gets closer. Excellent article IMO.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]


Geale vs Mundine 2: Road to redemption



[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]





Anthony Mundine is the only fighter in Australia history, and possibly internationally, to have had all of his fights broadcast on PPV. The simple fact is that Anthony Mundine equals money.
Mundine reportedly made $700,000 from his boxing debut against Gerard Zohs way back in 2000. It was similar money to what he would have made only a year earlier for a full season with the St George Illawarra Dragons.
Daniel Geale, on the other hand, would have been lucky to make a few thousand dollars from his debut fight, despite being a former Olympian and Commonwealth Games [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] medallist.
In fact it would have only been in his last few fights that Geale would have even ticked past the $700,000 [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Mundine earned on his debut, which is ultimately the very reason we have arrived at Geale vs Mundine 2.
Daniel Geale is one of Australia’s greatest fighters. He currently holds the IBF Middleweight Title and was disgracefully stripped of the WBA Middleweight Title only weeks after winning it.
He has gone to Germany twice and has come away with two world titles against top notch fighters in Sebastian Sylvester and Felix Sturm.
Yet despite all of this Geale can still walk down the street and the large majority will have no idea who he is. Geale doesn’t yet have the profile to match his in-ring ability, which was shown in reports that only 3000 pay per view sales were recorded for his recent Middleweight unification fight with Sturm.
But that’s all set to change with this fight.
See Anthony “The Man” Mundine hasn’t fought his way to an IBF Middleweight World Title shot with Daniel Geale, he has been given the opportunity for two reasons.
A) As mentioned earlier, Anthony Mundine equals money. He is a compelling figure that draws publicity wherever he walks, and whether to see him [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or knocked out, we all pay to see him fight.
B) Mundine is seen as being on the downward spiral. Knocked out by Garth Wood and most recently in action against journeyman Bronco “Superman” McKart. The fact is Mundine is very beatable these days, especially to a fighter on the level of Geale.
In boxing, fights are made with a variety of factors in mind. The ultimate formula that prevails is risk versus reward. It’s the very reason fighters such as Roy Jones and Shane Mosley [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] to get fights. They can sell tickets, yet they are also very beatable.
Geale could have made a defence against a tougher but largely unknown fighter and made half of what he will make against Mundine.
Yet by taking the Mundine fight he will make a good payday and “scratch the itch” that is his loss to Mundine in their first fight back in 2009, all the while increasing his ever-growing profile given the public interest and press coverage the fight will achieve.
Geale was unlucky to lose his IBO Middleweight Title against Mundine back in 2009 by way of split decision. There is an unwritten rule in boxing that in a close fight the decision tends to go the way of the champion. The challenger must win decisively to wrestle the title away, however Mundine got the result via split decision.
Geale’s camp filed a protest and the IBO had three independent judges score the fight, all of whom scored it in favour of Geale. Therefore the IBO commanded an immediate rematch between the pair. Mundine responded by vacating the title.
So if Mundine wasn’t interested in the rematch in 2009, then why now?
The reason – he has no other options.
His recent excursion to the United States was a disaster. He sold an embarrassingly low number of tickets and raised little interest.
All the challenges to Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao and others went nowhere, as they were always going too. The journey even caused the end of his long term association with Khoder Nassar.
Mundine even turned down the one legitimate chance he had at taking on the world, his interim WBA title shot against Austin Trout, the very man who recently toppled Miguel Cotto. It could have been Mundine, if only he took the chance.
The fight with Geale is Mundine’s very last shot at achieving his lofty ambitions. An IBF Middleweight Title is sure to open doors and will be the first reputable world title in his collection.
For this very reason alone, no one should discount Anthony Mundine.
He is hungry, he is desperate and he will give everything that he has in this fight. This Mundine is dangerous, he simply has nothing to lose. It is his Rocky moment, and a shot he probably doesn’t deserve.
Some of Mundine’s best performances have been on the biggest occasions, his fights with Danny Green and Antwun Echols case in point. He has spoken previously about struggling to get up for fights against opposition not on his level, which will not be a concern this time around.
For Mundine it is his last chance to leave a legacy that will be respected. For now there lies an asterix next to his name with the line “How good could he have been”.
For all his talent, freakish ability and three world titles he has never truly fulfilled his potential, however he now rides the road to redemption, to leave the talk and bravado at the door and show his true character and show the world just how good a fighter he is.
A win for Mundine and new life is generated in a career that right now looks a flickering light.
A win for Geale and the country will have a hero whose standing and profile will match the size of his in-ring feats.
Strap yourselves in ladies and gentleman, it’s going to be a blast!
Follow Adam on Twitter at @adamsantarossa
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2012, 08:19 PM   #2
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Adam on Twitter at @adamsantarossa
Take a bow Adam Santarossa
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,959
vCash: 75
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

A very unbiased and informative read
kel is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rural OZ
Posts: 5,451
vCash: 1044
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

Good read.
Sox is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
patrick
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 313
vCash: 500
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

Excellent read. Touched on a lot of relevant points.

I still can't see Mundine, as hungry as he may be, having enough left to defeat Geale.

At least I wont have to see the garden gnome in his corner so the spew bag can stay in the medicine cabinet.
patrick is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
stiflers mum
Gartlett nuthugger #1
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: living rent free in Buster 007's head
Posts: 9,431
vCash: 700
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox View Post
Good read.
This bit has me worried.

For this very reason alone, no one should discount Anthony Mundine.
He is hungry, he is desperate and he will give everything that he has in this fight. This Mundine is dangerous, he simply has nothing to lose. It is his Rocky moment, and a shot he probably doesn’t deserve.


It will be unjust if Mundine wins this. Im an atheist but I will pray for Geale to win this fight.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OLYMPUS
Posts: 9,705
vCash: 346
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

Why would it be unjust if he won?
TCboxa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
goodnight
The Ayatula of Rockenrula
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: too many places
Posts: 1,197
vCash: 2391
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
Why would it be unjust if he won?
because hes a cunt.
goodnight is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:39 PM   #9
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OLYMPUS
Posts: 9,705
vCash: 346
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

he has done alot for boxing in AUS, he pretty much revived the sport. I dont think your being very greatful of all the good things he has done for the sport in AUS.
TCboxa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:51 PM   #10
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rural OZ
Posts: 5,451
vCash: 1044
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
This bit has me worried.

For this very reason alone, no one should discount Anthony Mundine.
He is hungry, he is desperate and he will give everything that he has in this fight. This Mundine is dangerous, he simply has nothing to lose. It is his Rocky moment, and a shot he probably doesn’t deserve.


It will be unjust if Mundine wins this. Im an atheist but I will pray for Geale to win this fight.
I'm not worried at all.
Mandy can train the house off, it won't make a difference.
It's all bullshit when people say he didn't take Geale seriously in the first fight.
Mandy looked good, Geale looked good. Except for the underhanded tactics and controversy surrounding the fight, it was excellent.

However, move forward 3 years, Geale has improved, Mandy has declined.
You can't turn back the clock.

Mandy can not win this fight.

Geale will put Mandy where he belongs once and for all.
Sox is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #11
TCboxa
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: OLYMPUS
Posts: 9,705
vCash: 346
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

just like a DVD is 12cm wide hay sox lol
TCboxa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #12
StiffJab
Butcher Berridge
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,949
vCash: 2746
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
he has done alot for boxing in AUS, he pretty much revived the sport. I dont think your being very greatful of all the good things he has done for the sport in AUS.
Boxing was never dead in Aus to begin with. When choc first started KT was still kicking it and people in Australia were watching.
StiffJab is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:29 AM   #13
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Rural OZ
Posts: 5,451
vCash: 1044
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
just like a DVD is 12cm wide hay sox lol
Correct, what's your point?
Sox is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #14
goodnight
The Ayatula of Rockenrula
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: too many places
Posts: 1,197
vCash: 2391
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
he has done alot for boxing in AUS, he pretty much revived the sport. I dont think your being very greatful of all the good things he has done for the sport in AUS.
'grateful' for what? Turning it into a sideshow. The only people grateful should be the argy tomato cans.
goodnight is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #15
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,188
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Geale v Mundine II Road to redemption

Geale wins a UD for me. Mundine won't keep up with Geale's workrate.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013