Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-18-2012, 12:55 AM   #31
Sugar Nick
He's A Good Boy
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: David Price-Tony Thompson 2 February in Liverpool

Come on Price. You're already 30. Time to fight top 20 or go away.

Tony Thompson has never impressed me. How he got 2 shots at a world title is just crazy.

Tony Thompson fights like old folks have ***,slow and sloppy.
Sugar Nick is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 05:33 AM   #32
itsa huge bitch
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by madballster View Post
I love how some here think fighting a veteran southpaw (outside of Audley) who was a title challenger not once but *TWICE* in his career is 'worthless' for Price -- a guy with 15 pro fights.

Even if Thompson is KOd in 3 rounds the fight can still be a valuable lesson for Price in terms of camp, preparation and gameplan.

Also guys (and Chef you should know this most of all) you fight who agrees to your terms. Price isn't the biggest money maker and can't offer huge purses to fighters. He probably fights the best guys he can get for the little money he can offer them. Props to Thompson for taking this fight.

And no, I'm not even a Brit. But I feel Price is doing the right thing here.
i think its pointless for two reasons..

thompson has no power to hurt price.

thompson is now to slow to out box price..

which = ko win for price inside 3-5 rounds.

im starting to notice a pattern that price does not like to get into the ring with heavy hitters or fighters who actually move..

im all for getting experiance mate but your not going to get it while being spoon fed knock outs so people can start stupid comparisons so the guy can be given a title shot..you should know this brah..
itsa huge bitch is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #33
joegrundy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Nick View Post
Come on Price. You're already 30. Time to fight top 20 or go away.

Tony Thompson has never impressed me. How he got 2 shots at a world title is just crazy.

Tony Thompson fights like old folks have ***,slow and sloppy.
Thompson is top 20, what are you on about?

Don't see how anyone can complain about this, he has only lost to Klitschko in the last 10 years.
joegrundy is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #34
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by joegrundy View Post
Thompson is top 20, what are you on about?

Don't see how anyone can complain about this, he has only lost to Klitschko in the last 10 years.
Who has he ever beaten. even when he was prime?
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #35
joegrundy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2592

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinovelvet View Post
David Price is a 15 fight novice who is learning the game.

He has already said he wants to progress slowly and be able to fight for a world title when he is ready. He even said he wants to be at the level that he not only wins the title he can keep it for a long time. He has only just hit British level and everyone wants him to fight Klitschko its a bit too much too quickly really.

Heavyweight prospects don't get the chance to build a good record. If Price fights Thompson in February, Chisora in early summer then gets one or two more fights against the likes of Helenius before the end of 2013 that is a brilliant year.

He should aim to fight Pulev early 2014 for me.
joegrundy is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 AM   #36
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF View Post
while we dont agree all the time, I totally agree with you on this..... Wlad fights Thompson as a MANDATORY and this board goes CRAZY in the match up.. "waste of time".."bullshit fight"...etc.....

now Price PICKS Thompson (not a mand) and these guys like it?

What a joke!
David Price has had about 14 fights

Use some common sense
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 06:35 AM   #37
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Dismantled Luan Krasniqi in front of his his home-crowd in Germany in the eliminator that got him the first Wlad fight. Probably his best win.

Thompson is not a world beater but heck, who do you want Price to fight at this point? Adamek? Haye? Even a chubby Arreola has tons more experience. These guys are light years ahead of him in development and would be too much too soon.

I wouldn't be so forgiving if Price was talking a big game and telling us how he's the best HW (like Fury is). But I don't recall Price ever running his mouth, he comes off as a very humble guy who's trying to take it step by step. Why the hate?
madballster is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 AM   #38
Rudolph
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Get off Price atm, this is actually a good career move right now
Rudolph is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 06:48 AM   #39
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF View Post
while we dont agree all the time, I totally agree with you on this..... Wlad fights Thompson as a MANDATORY and this board goes CRAZY in the match up.. "waste of time".."bullshit fight"...etc.....

now Price PICKS Thompson (not a mand) and these guys like it?

What a joke!
Well Chef, the sensible fans know it was a mandate and nothing else. Still, Thompson reeled off 5 consecutive wins, ALL BY KO, over 2 solid Blevel guys, and 3 world touring journeymen. And had he fought and beat Chambers(not likely, but possible) it'd been hard to deny the man his rematch, esp considering he did better than most in his first fight with Wlad.

And comparing Wlads criticism for fighting TNT, and Price's pass is like comparing oranges and grapefruits.
Price is making a step up here and for it he should be given credit. It's only his 15th fight, and not a bad choice.
Also, if Wlad was coming off a loss, or a long injury layoff, Thompson, even at 42, would be a solid tuenup or comeback fight, even for Wladimir.

As for the OP.....gotta go with Price.....likely by KO.....maybe faster than Wlad was able to do it.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 06:53 AM   #40
dinovelvet
Up Top To The Head
East Side Guru

vCash: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by madballster View Post
Dismantled Luan Krasniqi in front of his his home-crowd in Germany in the eliminator that got him the first Wlad fight. Probably his best win.

Thompson is not a world beater but heck, who do you want Price to fight at this point? Adamek? Haye? Even a chubby Arreola has tons more experience. These guys are light years ahead of him in development and would be too much too soon.

I wouldn't be so forgiving if Price was talking a big game and telling us how he's the best HW (like Fury is). But I don't recall Price ever running his mouth, he comes off as a very humble guy who's trying to take it step by step. Why the hate?
Im not hating him, i like him, im just being real. From what i see him and his camp aren't showing a lot of confidence. Price isn't some 14 fight novice, he has a long amatuer backround under his belt. He is going to be seriously unprepared when he steps up and no amount of Skeltons or Thompsons will make a difference to his development.
dinovelvet is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 06:56 AM   #41
lordgore
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1176

Quote:
Im not hating him, i like him, im just being real. From what i see him and his camp aren't showing a lot of confidence. Price isn't some 14 fight novice, he has a long amatuer backround under his belt. He is going to be seriously unprepared when he steps up and no amount of Skeltons or Thompsons will make a difference to his development.
This,and then you have the much ripped on Fury who had **** all AM experience and is likely fighting Adamek in march followed by the Arreola/Stiverne winner ... Price will fight Thompson and then Chisora ...
lordgore is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #42
Maggo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

He wont hear the final bell of round 3.

Price will chase him and work him down
Maggo is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 AM   #43
Vidic
Rest in Peace Manny
East Side Guru

Thompson is utter shite. But he's an acceptable fight for a 15-fight novice to take, considering the guy just had a shot at the HW world champion.

I personally think Price could move along faster but it's not out of the ordinary, look at the shit the knuckleheads on here give to Chisora who was fighting elite opponents in his 14th fight

Have a look at who someone like Wladimir Klitschko, or Vitali, or Povetkin, or any of these fighters were fighting after the same number of fights
Vidic is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #44
itsa huge bitch
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidic View Post
Thompson is utter shite. But he's an acceptable fight for a 15-fight novice to take, considering the guy just had a shot at the HW world champion.

I personally think Price could move along faster but it's not out of the ordinary, look at the shit the knuckleheads on here give to Chisora who was fighting elite opponents in his 14th fight

Have a look at who someone like Wladimir Klitschko, or Vitali, or Povetkin, or any of these fighters were fighting after the same number of fights
i agree with most of this...

though i hate when people bring up who wlad was fighting for his 15th fight..considering the time scale in which he had his first 15 fights in compared to price...if you compare who they have been beating in the same amount of time as a pro then thats a fair and legitimate camparison
itsa huge bitch is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #45
Chappy112
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3000

What the **** is it with people spouting shite about Price not fighting anyone, he's had 14 ****ing fights for god sake. This isn't a Canelo Alvarez or JCC Jr situation, he's stepping up bit by bit.

"He doesn't face heavy hitters." Well no shit, he's learning his trade, he needs his experience in the ring without the potential to get KO'd so then if he does make mistakes he can rectify them in the gym without have been brutally knocked out.

Let's just throw him in there with a banger now eh and then if he get's KO'd his career could be over.
Chappy112 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum