Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 12-19-2012, 05:44 PM   #46
Boxing&Blues
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: the method

atigerofold:

did you have a specific stretching routine that you did with mr. palmer? and how important do you feel flexibility is for defense and boxing in general?
Boxing&Blues is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2012, 07:27 PM   #47
atigerofold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

7 days a week, monday - friday nights, an saturday and sunday mornings, three to four rounds of aesometrics/stretching style were done.
You can see Palmer on Youtube doing some of the arm stretching and touch toes with a few boxers in the ring. It is only a glimpse of what he did for those three rounds. There was also floorwork stretching done (vigorous) in a still, pushup posture, kicking up with each leg to each side, trying to reach a higher point near to the upper torso;... In the ring, it was efficient arm, shoulder, and chest stretching and touching toes to a quick rythmn. The hand movement of reaching forward and pulling back to tax the shoulders and chest was highly beneficial to creating rapid hand speed and aesometric fitness. There was NOT ONE weight instrument at Palmers...all just naturaly human conducted hand speed work..oh, and, a couple of medicin balls for assistant trainers to throw at you to catch as we did sit up floor exercise.

I remember becoming very leg weary in my first few fights, (sometimes deadlegged, and my hip joints would ache terribly after the third round, I told Amby, and he introduced a streching exercise for me at the gym where I would stand with my back to the corner of the ring, hands up ontop of the top ropes, then raise and force upwards with my knees to chest, giving a lot of work to my hips/joints. (very hard to do for three minutes!) I did this most nights, and it made the pain go away, and made me much more agile in the ring...and no dead leggedness. Apart from the one hour and a quarter I would train each night, I would run each morning - one kilometre down a 30 degree hill, then turn and run back up that hill, sprinting two lamposts, jogging one, etc.....

As to stretching for calmness, or loosening up, or stretching to cure slight pain in joints and muscles, it was done, but usually at the start of the night's work at the gym. What I described Amby doing above in aesometrics, was usually in the last three rounds of the night at a gym. I hope this makes sense.

Your part question: Flexibility as an important factor in defense and boxing? Fitness and physical flexibility are as equally important as being able to see, diagnose, react and act to your opponent's tactics in a boxing ring. Mental flexibility is a whole different question. Mental strength/stability must be applied to the belief and support of the plan....the plan is, to not get hit, and hit.

Last edited by atigerofold; 12-19-2012 at 08:03 PM.
atigerofold is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #48
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atigerofold View Post
I remember Pat Leglise; he had a great career.
Only saw a few of his fights in Melbourne; cannot remember if he threw the
formidable right lead uppercut, judging on the series of 23 fights he won in a row,
I would guess that he didnt throw it....then again, he won a large amount of his fights on knockouts.(half of them in fact)

There are so many ways to throw punches, and many directions to throw them in, attacking, retreating, side stepping, countering etc etc.

I think that a fighter learns to manage the style and action of his best punches; he usually is taught by opponents/sparring partners on what he can get away with......but I think the method instructions assist in providing knowledge about what is historically, preferred safe action.

I thought of another strategic punch that Palmer taught; dont know if this is in the Method, (I gave my signed copy away) this punch was a devastating blow, probably correctly termed as a counter punch; it was timed and thrown as a direct straight right cross 'inside' an opponents leading left hook.....this was particularly effective when the opponent threw his left hook without covering his chin (with right hand). The vigillant wait was on, as you waited, waited (finger on the trigger) as the opponent's left hook began; the arrow went through to the bulls eye, as your right cross travelled through, to the unprotected chin; it often gave you a sense that you were like a theif in the night throwing this punch. (and) This counter punch was highly punitive in its delivery, in picking up on a blatant defense mistake by the thrower of the lead left hook (who lazily, or uncaringly, did not bother to cover his chin whilst left hooking) This timed, "clever" right cross, usually caused a knockdown.
I am surprised you don't remember it my friend . I think you will when I tell you about it! The result wasn't good . Wide world of sports used it as part of the opener to its show for years.
Pat was an up and coming star who throw a lead uppercut against American Choo Choo Charlie brown and was was koed with one punch.
boxon123 is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #49
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: The method - johnny famechon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Above View Post
atigerofold you really need to post more often around here. Nice to hear someone who actually knows what theyre talking about instead of some of the lunatics we constantly hear.
x2
..I think I know this bloke anyway..
darkhorse is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #50
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

..a brilliant book out I come across was 'Championship Fighting'..by Jack Dempsey..
..what a pearler of a instructional boxing book..writen along similar lines and writen by the man himself..
..I actually copied 3/4's of the book by hand...(didn't get time to finish it as the bloke wanted it back as it was a family heirloom)...haha
Old 12-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #51
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Great thread, pin it!!!!
swingin is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2012, 04:00 AM   #52
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
..a brilliant book out I come across was 'Championship Fighting'..by Jack Dempsey..
..what a pearler of a instructional boxing book..writen along similar lines and writen by the man himself..
..I actually copied 3/4's of the book by hand...(didn't get time to finish it as the bloke wanted it back as it was a family heirloom)...haha
Also Floyd Patterson has one very good!
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2012, 04:26 AM   #53
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Also Floyd Patterson has one very good!
..do you recall the name of it?..I wouldn't mind havin' a look..maybe try to find it online...
Old 12-21-2012, 04:36 AM   #54
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
..do you recall the name of it?..I wouldn't mind havin' a look..maybe try to find it online...
I think it's called Floyd Paterson's boxing basics. Where in the process of moving so it's packed away in one of the boxes at the moment.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2012, 04:44 AM   #55
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Talking of books , did anyone read the black Ajax ?

Also Jim Driscoll got had a few books out where he elaborated more on his tactics when he fought Freddie Welsh , btw I saw on amazon the other day probably on of my favourite boxing books ever was going for a song " fighting was my business " by Jimmy Wilde , lads buy either of these books and your in for a treat .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 AM   #56
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
I think it's called Floyd Paterson's boxing basics. Where in the process of moving so it's packed away in one of the boxes at the moment.
....kool..I'll try to find it online one day...books writin' by actual fighters are a treat i recond..
..another good i have is 'Sting Like A Bee' by Jose Torres..and neat insight into Muhamed Ali..
..I've also got 'A-Z of Boxing' by Henry Cooper...
..the best one I have is 'In the Days of the Giants'..by Bill Doherty..now the is a classic..a true in sight into Aussie boxing at the turn of the 19th century..a proper gem..
..I love hittin' the sports section in any 2nd hand book shop i come across..
Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #57
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: the method - johnny famechon

if anyone can get this posted, it would be much appreciated. it is a highlights reel of jersey joe walcotts footwork. we cant get it from oz for whatever reason..

'jersey joe walcotts style and grace', its called.
swingin is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 01:04 AM   #58
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Tried to post it sal but it won't copy and paste for some reason .copyright issues probably .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 01:35 AM   #59
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044

Great thread guys.
Sox is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 02:19 AM   #60
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Talking of books , did anyone read the black Ajax ?

Also Jim Driscoll got had a few books out where he elaborated more on his tactics when he fought Freddie Welsh , btw I saw on amazon the other day probably on of my favourite boxing books ever was going for a song " fighting was my business " by Jimmy Wilde , lads buy either of these books and your in for a treat .
..cheers Josey..thanks for the tip..sounds like a couple of good additions to the libary..

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum