Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
caleb_forrest_g
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: nashville tennessee
Posts: 676
vCash: 500
Default Who had better lightweights WEC or UFC before the merger?

I seen that Anthony Pettis said WEC had better lightweights. And now lookin back i gotta agree. Benson was in WEC and came to the UFC and started dominating UFC guys. Pettis is doing the same thing, Cerrone as well. Just thought i would see what you guys thought about it.

Im talking about the time frame of the merger. Not when BJ Penn was dominating in sight lol.

UFC or WEC
caleb_forrest_g is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #2
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: sweden
Posts: 5,329
vCash: 117
Default Re: Who had better lightweights WEC or UFC before the merger?

WECs focus was the smaller guys like aldo, pettis, cruz, faber and so on and living of that.
So yes they had the better guys at LW and down thanks to that
greathamza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,713
vCash: 847
Default Re: Who had better lightweights WEC or UFC before the merger?

You have to give it to the UFC for depth, but the top WEC guys have proven to be superior/on par with the top UFC guys.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,481
vCash: 75
Default Re: Who had better lightweights WEC or UFC before the merger?

The thing is ...............

The WEC had prospects, not established top fighters, Pettis, Cerrone and Henderson in there WEC days were all "prospects", lets not forget Jamie Varner was the champion, and he beat Rob McCulloch for that title

My answer to your question is unequivocally the UFC, Penn, Sherk, Florian with an underbelly of Maynard, Guida, Edgar ............ and the list goes on, Henderson, Cerrone and Pettis have developed because they are now in mainstream top competition, if any of them 3 (at that time) would have fought any of the top 8 in the UFC they would of had a tough night!
thewinfella is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #5
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,481
vCash: 75
Default Re: Who had better lightweights WEC or UFC before the merger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
You have to give it to the UFC for depth, but the top WEC guys have proven to be superior/on par with the top UFC guys.
In time they have yes, at the time no!
thewinfella is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 5,458
vCash: 553
Default Re: Who had better lightweights WEC or UFC before the merger?

The WEC produced exciting fights, but all of those fighters are now better and in The UFC Some are FWs, etc.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 4,713
vCash: 847
Default Re: Who had better lightweights WEC or UFC before the merger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
In time they have yes, at the time no!
Well, I think both Bendo and Pettis, at the time of their fight, would have at least been competitive against any UFC LW.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,481
vCash: 75
Default Re: Who had better lightweights WEC or UFC before the merger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Well, I think both Bendo and Pettis, at the time of their fight, would have at least been competitive against any UFC LW.
Competitive or better?
thewinfella is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who had better lightweights WEC or UFC before the merger?

Real fans know that Strikeforce could rival the UFC for HW and fighters in general but lacking the same depth. Likewise, real fans knew that the WEC had a number of tasty fighters that could easily compete in the UFC - Aldo, Henderson, Pettis, Cerone etc

Who is better is a difficult question. Henderson is the champ and Pettis/Cerrone will determine the next contender. On the flipside I think Henderson lost his last fight to Edgar and Diaz beat the **** out of Cerrone while Guida bum ****ed Pettis.

Our only question should always be who is the champion by way of beating the best fighters out there. At present that is Benson Henderson.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #10
gigogreco
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 828
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who had better lightweights WEC or UFC before the merger?

impossible to say, as styles makes fights.
gigogreco is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #11
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,481
vCash: 75
Default Re: Who had better lightweights WEC or UFC before the merger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by achillesthegreat View Post
Real fans know that Strikeforce could rival the UFC for HW and fighters in general but lacking the same depth. Likewise, real fans knew that the WEC had a number of tasty fighters that could easily compete in the UFC - Aldo, Henderson, Pettis, Cerone etc

Who is better is a difficult question. Henderson is the champ and Pettis/Cerrone will determine the next contender. On the flipside I think Henderson lost his last fight to Edgar and Diaz beat the **** out of Cerrone while Guida bum ****ed Pettis.

Our only question should always be who is the champion by way of beating the best fighters out there. At present that is Benson Henderson.
Really?

One or two good fighters per division and that can somehow rival a whole division of established champions, former champions, former title contenders, prospects and gatekeepers?

I really don't see how
thewinfella is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:02 PM   #12
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 18,266
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who had better lightweights WEC or UFC before the merger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Really?

One or two good fighters per division and that can somehow rival a whole division of established champions, former champions, former title contenders, prospects and gatekeepers?

I really don't see how
I said the HW division and then fighters in general. The HW division had Overeem, Werdum, Cormier, Barnett, Silva etc In general I meant Shields, Diaz, Melendez etc
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013