Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 10-14-2012, 04:32 AM   #16
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885
Default Re: Guillermo Rigondeaux?

Rigo is amazing, its incredible watching him fight the more I box myself the more I appreciate just how good he is. The way he shows opponents the punch hes going to throw several times then lands it is just insane. Needs to be matched well to avoid being in boring fights due to his strict counter punching style.

I think Donaire beats him, Rigo has in all likelihood like alot of good Amateurs given his prime to the unpaid ranks.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #17
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Rigondeaux and Nonito would be the best match up at 122. Technically Rigo is probably the best fighter in the world and Nonito is one of the most exciting fighters in the world.

From what I have seen they are both calling each other out and are keen to fight each other, but if their promoters let it go ahead is another thing.

For mine Rigo beats Nonito on points easil. The only criticism I have of Rigo is that he sometimes swithes off in fights through the middle rounds, this would be Nonito's only chance and something Rigo couldn't afford to do.
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #18
StiffJab
Butcher Berridge
ESB Addict

vCash: 2746

Nonito wants no part of rigo

After his fight today he said he would fight anyone and was then asked the question about facing rigo. He said rigo is yet to prove himself

I think either Moreno or mares would give nonito a real gut check
StiffJab is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #19
swilson120
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Rigo is very fkn good so is donaire
swilson120 is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #20
Barrera
Cotto Crabwalk Enthusiast
ESB Addict

he has an amazing amateur career and even though this is the pros from what i have seen he has the skills to be the big guy in his division. his style matches well against donaire as donaire seems to look amazing against pressure fighters or come forward fighters

where as rigo is a defensive counter puncher, the one thing that will let rigo down is his chin, it has been tested a few times im not sure how good or bad it is yet but it could be his downfall
Barrera is offline  Top
Old 10-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #21
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrera View Post
he has an amazing amateur career and even though this is the pros from what i have seen he has the skills to be the big guy in his division. his style matches well against donaire as donaire seems to look amazing against pressure fighters or come forward fighters

where as rigo is a defensive counter puncher, the one thing that will let rigo down is his chin, it has been tested a few times im not sure how good or bad it is yet but it could be his downfall
Personally I think a bigger deal was made than should've in his last fight when he supposedly got "tagged". Steve Bunce once made a good point that in the same way cuban fighters often refuse to do staredowns they also show when they are hurt. Compared to most other countries where you try and hide how hurt you are it gives the impression alot of cuban fighters are chinny when it often isnt the case. That said after 300 odd fights regardless of headgear hes going to be suffering from wear and tear his resistance probably isn't great. If donaire can land some power shots I think he'd break rigo down.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #22
buster007
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166

when i see danaire talking about fighting this dude, he seems to always comment on the negatives of why the fight won't happen. but others talk about how relatively easy it would be to make it happen.

i suspect he would be far happier if it didn't go ahead.

what do u think?

fwiw, i have no clue on who would win. they r both super fighters. it could go either way without any shock at all.
buster007 is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #23
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster007 View Post
when i see danaire talking about fighting this dude, he seems to always comment on the negatives of why the fight won't happen. but others talk about how relatively easy it would be to make it happen.

i suspect he would be far happier if it didn't go ahead.

what do u think?

fwiw, i have no clue on who would win. they r both super fighters. it could go either way without any shock at all.
Rigondeaux is fighting in late Feb on HBO & then after that the fight vs Donaire may happen.
Tough fight to call & i expect an awkward clash of styles.
I lean to Donaire but not by alot.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 11:55 PM   #24
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy View Post
Rigondeaux is fighting in late Feb on HBO & then after that the fight vs Donaire may happen.
Tough fight to call & i expect an awkward clash of styles.
I lean to Donaire but not by alot.
I think it's a good fight if made. Personally think Donaire takes it.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 12:38 AM   #25
Sandman_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Nonentity has a great CV but his big wins have all been against smaller guys who were not at their best when he fought them.

Vic was not focussed or anywhere near his best when Donaire beat him. Montiel & Arce were well past their best when Donaire starched them (imo, and yes I know Montiel went in as a defending world champ - as did Vic of course).

I don't mean to be deliberately disrespectful because I acknowledge that Donaire's body of work over a sustained period of time now is entitled to respect (so much so that I'm only going to refer to him as "Nonentity" once in this post - oops, make that twice).

I'm just making the general point that no-one is ever as good as they look at their best and in Donaire's case I think that's particularly so in that his best wins have been against guys who themselves did not perform well when he faced them and who are natural flyweights.

I think bigger, stronger guys who are close to their best when they face him (which both Mares & Rigo are likely to be next year) will give Donaire big problems. I think I'd back both in against him when the time comes.

I'll finish by saying that if Donaire fights & beats both Mares & Rigo next year, he'll get my vote as fighter of the year and P4P #1 in the sport.
Sandman_ is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #26
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

That's the way you see it and fair enough. To say he picks on smaller guys isn't true. He started his career at fly weight who are these smaller guys?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_ View Post
Nonentity has a great CV but his big wins have all been against smaller guys who were not at their best when he fought them.

Vic was not focussed or anywhere near his best when Donaire beat him. Montiel & Arce were well past their best when Donaire starched them (imo, and yes I know Montiel went in as a defending world champ - as did Vic of course).

I don't mean to be deliberately disrespectful because I acknowledge that Donaire's body of work over a sustained period of time now is entitled to respect (so much so that I'm only going to refer to him as "Nonentity" once in this post - oops, make that twice).

I'm just making the general point that no-one is ever as good as they look at their best and in Donaire's case I think that's particularly so in that his best wins have been against guys who themselves did not perform well when he faced them and who are natural flyweights.

I think bigger, stronger guys who are close to their best when they face him (which both Mares & Rigo are likely to be next year) will give Donaire big problems. I think I'd back both in against him when the time comes.

I'll finish by saying that if Donaire fights & beats both Mares & Rigo next year, he'll get my vote as fighter of the year and P4P #1 in the sport.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #27
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side Guru

I think Donaire should fight Mares before Rigondeaux. If he beats Rigondeaux they will say '' Oh he was too green he hasn't been a pro that long '' or something like that.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 11:41 PM   #28
Sandman_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
That's the way you see it and fair enough. To say he picks on smaller guys isn't true. He started his career at fly weight who are these smaller guys?
Donaire was campaigning at junior bantam when he came down in weight & challenged Vic.

The smaller guys he's beaten are Vic, Montiel & Arce all of whom were at their best at junior bantam or lower. Those are the best three fighters Donaire has fought & he only fought one of them at their best weight (i.e. Vic).

Nonentity is now a junior featherweight. I'd like to see him prove that he's the best fighter in that weight division by beating the other two guys in the division who are capable of making a similar claim rather than having the media or fans simply annoint him as the best.

Me or you saying someone is the best at jr feather doesn't make it so. If Donaire fights and defeats Mares & Rigo next year, he's not only the best at jr feather, but he's also the best in the sport, imo. I can't give him much more credit than that.
Sandman_ is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 02:20 AM   #29
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Donaire started his Career at fly weight moved up to super fly then fought Vic at fly not super fly so how is he under sized?montiel started his career at fly same as Donaire and won titles at fly, super fly and was a unified champ at bantam when they fought at that weight. Your argument has more holes in it then a shrimp bucket.
Arce was a pay day (name). Check out Donaires record he has better names on it then Mares and Rig.
I do agree he should fight both those guys before he moves to feather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_ View Post
Donaire was campaigning at junior bantam when he came down in weight & challenged Vic.

The smaller guys he's beaten are Vic, Montiel & Arce all of whom were at their best at junior bantam or lower. Those are the best three fighters Donaire has fought & he only fought one of them at their best weight (i.e. Vic).

Nonentity is now a junior featherweight. I'd like to see him prove that he's the best fighter in that weight division by beating the other two guys in the division who are capable of making a similar claim rather than having the media or fans simply annoint him as the best.

Me or you saying someone is the best at jr feather doesn't make it so. If Donaire fights and defeats Mares & Rigo next year, he's not only the best at jr feather, but he's also the best in the sport, imo. I can't give him much more credit than that.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 03:01 AM   #30
Sandman_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Donaire started his Career at fly weight moved up to super fly then fought Vic at fly not super fly so how is he under sized?montiel started his career at fly same as Donaire and won titles at fly, super fly and was a unified champ at bantam when they fought at that weight. Your argument has more holes in it then a shrimp bucket.
Arce was a pay day (name). Check out Donaires record he has better names on it then Mares and Rig.
I do agree he should fight both those guys before he moves to feather.
I don't think you're following the logic of what I'm saying.

The thread topic is Rigo. My point is that Rigo & Abner Mares at 122 are going to come in close to their best at this weight.

Nonentity's best wins (imo) are against Vic, Montiel & Arce. They are much smaller guys. They were at their best at either 108 (Arce), 112 (Arce, Montiel & Vic) or 115 (Montiel & Vic).

That's at least two weight divisions south of where Nonentity will be meeting Mares or Rigo when & if he elects to take them on.

My point is that I think both Mares & Rigo have a great chance against Donaire because they are naturally bigger (and more suited to the weight they will be fighting at) than the best guys Nonentity has previously beaten (with the exception of Vic who was obviously well suited to the flyweight division).
Sandman_ is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum