Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-22-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
brickfists
The Nonpareil
ESB Addict

vCash: 542
Default Which is harder for beginners ?

Hi guys, my missus is into mma and she wants to join a gym. she really like's bjj but has this idea that it is more difficult and dangerous for beginners than anything else so instead she is going to do kick boxing first.

Personally i think this is a stupid idea, imo striking is far more difficult and dangerous than grappling but she is convinced that's not the case.

I've tried to explain that while grappling if you feel uncomfortable you can just tap were as if your sparring its not so easy to just give up as its kind of frowned upon also if you're in a sub you can tap before damage is done but if you're sparring and a hard shot lands and cracks your rib you cant really stop it from cracking

She wants to start off in kickboxing because in her opinion its "easier" and it will make her more comfortable before moving into bjj

So opinions needed here guys am i wrong ? is grappling really more physically demanding and dangerous for beginners than striking ?
brickfists is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117
Default Re: Which is harder for beginners ?

There been some good dudes around that didnt do to much bjj but you are gonna end up on the ground sooner or later and its better to know some bjj when it hits the ground or some wrestling so that you can sprawl and keep it on the feet.
What she starts i recommend what she feels more comfortable with if she is good at kickboxing then keep going with it for a while or you can train both bjj and kickboxing at the same time
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Physically demanding - Wrestling! is by far the worst discipline to begin with, its just horrendous

It depends on your Mrs mindset, if she likes being hit, and some of us do , she'll find comfort in stand up, if she likes confined spaces and being choked she'll find comfort n JJ , that actually sounds pretty funny sorry mate!

My advice, begin with grappling of some sort but do not overlook striking, its very very easy to become too comfortable on the ground
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I think most people really underestimate the pain involved in striking. So many guys come in with so much enthusiasm and confidence, and then the VAST majority of them realize, that getting hit hurts so much more that they expected. Coupled with the extreme exhaustion they feel even after 1 round. They realize it's not half as "fun" as they imagined.
80% of people drop (maybe more) off the face of the earth when they finally step into the ring.

I'd say let her try it, cuz there's no better way to get a reality check - than actually trying it.
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
gigogreco
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

if you yourself know a bit of (kick)boxing and bjj, why dont you just go a couple of rounds with her yourself.?

youŽd have to make a bit uncomfortable for her, but if she is serious about, she might as well get used to that exact feeling.

i started out with boxing, nothing serious though and have later switched to mma, still nothing serious, but my experience is, that it takes much more time getting used to hard punches in your face, then rolling around on the floor.
gigogreco is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Grappling is much more natural and organic. Striking is unnatural and a lot of practice and sparring is taken to go against the nature of flinching, pulling back, standing in the pocket, working in centimetres etc Taking away the fear of being hit and badly hurt you can concentrate on the techniques in grappling.

Being a woman, she should start with BJJ which I think will be very beneficial for her.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

kickboxing is alot harder.. you can kickbox for ten years and still be a pretty useless kickboxer.
rusty nails is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #8
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

If your wife's a looker BJJ if she ain't Kickboxing. It’s basically a choice between your wife coming home with increasing amounts of facial damage or her rolling around with a load of muscular swarthy Brazilian guys?!

On a serious note, I know nothing about BJJ, but I wouldn’t say one is easier than the other. You’re talking about chalk and cheese; two totally different approaches to fighting, some people are more suited to one than the other. She should start with the style that she feels drawn to the most to give her a solid base to build on.

If it's not to compete I'd suggest Kickboxing cos it's hugely satisfying to walk out the gym having just kicked the shit out of the pads and bag for 10 rounds, a great work out and a great release. The thing with Kickboxing or Muay Thai is it doesn't take long to learn the basic strikes, so after a few tough months she'll feel empowered and feel like she’s progressing especially if she's the sporty type. As the other fellas have already said what takes the time is putting it all together to create a fluid effective style i.e. knowing when to use those weapons and learning how to comfortably defend against them. But if her goal is to compete that's a whole other thing as you can be a demon on the pads but a mouse in the ring, has she got the spirit, discipline and heart for it? Maybe she does, if so then good luck to her, but it ain’t an “easy” road that’s for sure.
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #9
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448

BJJ is far more technical than striking, because you don't have to worry about getting hit. Women are usually more detail oriented than men, and they like the feeling of being able to control larger men through superior technique and skill. The women I train with are really into it because they find this to be true.
RJJFan is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 09:15 PM   #10
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty nails View Post
kickboxing is alot harder.. you can kickbox for ten years and still be a pretty useless kickboxer.
Bullshit! All you need is a few coconuts and a synthesizer [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFwxnqXLAQ[/ame]
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
Bullshit! All you need is a few coconuts and a synthesizer [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Bullshit! All you need is a few coconuts and a synthesizer [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Muay Thai Katas are the best!

I also love the old school techniques. Now I know that I haven't seen many Thai fights as some of you guys, but I don't remember seeing anyone jumping and spin kicking someone's head off the way Van Damme did it. This new breed needs to learn from the past.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #13
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Now Rek, you know Harold Howard had a system...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5_EIikdFr8[/ame]

EDIT...Wrong vid...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vaw8t-wOMEA[/ame]
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 11:26 PM   #14
Overhill
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1437

Ladies become punchy fast. ..and mean.
Overhill is offline  Top
Old 12-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #15
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Now Rek, you know Harold Howard had a system...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

EDIT...Wrong vid...

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I have a system for you:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHiUQb5xg7A[/ame]
rekcutnevets is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum