boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-2012, 04:11 AM   #61
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
Default Re: the method

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
....kool..I'll try to find it online one day...books writin' by actual fighters are a treat i recond..
..another good i have is 'Sting Like A Bee' by Jose Torres..and neat insight into Muhamed Ali..
..I've also got 'A-Z of Boxing' by Henry Cooper...
..the best one I have is 'In the Days of the Giants'..by Bill Doherty..now the is a classic..a true in sight into Aussie boxing at the turn of the 19th century..a proper gem..
..I love hittin' the sports section in any 2nd hand book shop i come across..
If you have not already read the real deal get a hold of it great read. Also a book called the hardest game one of my favorite boxing books.
Crusher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #62
Bugger
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Default Re: the method

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
....kool..I'll try to find it online one day...books writin' by actual fighters are a treat i recond..
..another good i have is 'Sting Like A Bee' by Jose Torres..and neat insight into Muhamed Ali..
..I've also got 'A-Z of Boxing' by Henry Cooper...
..the best one I have is 'In the Days of the Giants'..by Bill Doherty..now the is a classic..a true in sight into Aussie boxing at the turn of the 19th century..a proper gem..
..I love hittin' the sports section in any 2nd hand book shop i come across..
You're a lucky fella, id like to read that myself one day. I was looking at buying a copy about a year ago... the only copy i found was over $100. Some of the older boxing books are incredibly expensive.
Bugger is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #63
Da Voice
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In your couch, stealn' your change
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Default Re: the method

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
You're a lucky fella, id like to read that myself one day. I was looking at buying a copy about a year ago... the only copy i found was over $100. Some of the older boxing books are incredibly expensive.
I'll send you mine for 50 bucks + postage (Xmas special)
Da Voice is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #64
Da Voice
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In your couch, stealn' your change
Posts: 2,356
vCash: 500
Default Re: the method - johnny famechon

Before you blow 50 bucks, being a nice bloke that I am, I feel I should warn you there's numerous inaccuracies in it.
Da Voice is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #65
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Default Re: the method

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
You're a lucky fella, id like to read that myself one day. I was looking at buying a copy about a year ago... the only copy i found was over $100. Some of the older boxing books are incredibly expensive.

..mate if you can get the book buy it..it's like a boxing fans ultimate fairytale/love story..
..a great insight into the early days of Aussie boxing..there's a chapter on blokes like Peter Jackson..and a few of the other big names of the day..

..anyhow..like to chat but gotta run..off to nightshift..later!..cheers..
darkhorse is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:09 PM   #66
atigerofold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Respect-ville.
Posts: 318
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the method - johnny famechon

There are a few other ROTE exercises that fit with the Method, I should share these with you.

I mentioned the excercise that Amby applied to beat Leg weariness. I forgot earlier to describe one to two rounds we spent in ROTE style (repetition of the exercise) dancing (footworK) around and accross the ring.

After we did a round of ducking and catching, there were other ROTE excercises that linked to catching and ducking punches. Amby would chase one boxer with his (Ambys) left hook, forcing his boxer to canter clockwise (to the left) catching adhoc left hooks with the right hand moving from chin to temple; the focus was on rapid exit and away to a safe distance from an attacking opponent.(clockwise) Second exercise was rapid movement -cantering to your right, anti-clockwise....Amby would chase you and try to hit you with his right cross. Often you can actually walk to your right away from an authodox attacker, because they find it hard to travel in an orbital, anti-clockwise, mode (You have to actually get out of your chair and do this - hhahaha, or see it and work with it, for this to become clearer....) Amby would chase you and try to hit you with a right cross. Often the several finales of both these smilar excercises was the boxer hitting his back to the ropes (regularly) , and then ducking under the next punch thrown.

Palmer would then get you to travel diagnally across the ring, shaped up, hopping and stepping up as if you were attacking; then he would get to you JUMP backwards - starting at one side of the ring, he would attack you with a colosal right cross - you would JUMP backwards (in boxing defence stance) and allow the punch to fall short...he'd run at you again, this time - with his swooshing left hook, again you would jump back and let the lefthook fall short, and by this stage your back usually had hit the ropes; he would throw a right cross and you would duck under this, and rapidly get away from your back to the ropes . These exercises were done with such authenticity and relevance to the real ring. It was high pressure foot work, and critical/strategic ring movement work.

It seems to me that these type of exercises/drills are not practised these days; largly, boxers want to walk up....maybe they think that retreating to a safe place (in manners described above) is somehow lacking testoserone, or weak. I tend to believe that retreat is strategic (very much like chess, moving your knight away and out of the way, whilst the opponent makes another few moves, and then bingo, your knight is moved back to the same square to kill the chess piece that is placed back there without thought....) Making punches miss and fall short, is a good way to set up an attack.

Remember, that the main focus of these exercises is....practising to NOT GET HIT.

Last edited by atigerofold; 12-22-2012 at 09:33 PM.
atigerofold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #67
young griffo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,561
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the method

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Talking of books , did anyone read the black Ajax ?

Also Jim Driscoll got had a few books out where he elaborated more on his tactics when he fought Freddie Welsh , btw I saw on amazon the other day probably on of my favourite boxing books ever was going for a song " fighting was my business " by Jimmy Wilde , lads buy either of these books and your in for a treat .
The George Macdonald Fraser book?

If so I did and it's one of the best pieces of historic fiction I've ever read. I was familiar with Tom Molineaux previously and his epic fights with Tom Cribb but Fraser's attention to period detail and blend of great action and humour made this story a classic and one I'd urge anyone with even a passing interest in Broughton or London rules bareknuckle fighters or even anyone who likes a good read to have a look.
young griffo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #68
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 6,247
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the method - johnny famechon

That's the one Griff , probably the most enjoyable sports related book I've ever read mate , a rare old treat .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:52 AM   #69
atigerofold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Respect-ville.
Posts: 318
vCash: 1000
Default Re: the method - johnny famechon

Should I stop providing my descriptions of defensive tactics here ?
Are they of value to anyone?
I dont want to waste my time providing this to nobody.

Perhaps someone could tell me, or tell me to fark off, if I am of no value in raving on he with my descriptions of defensive stategies.
atigerofold is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:15 AM   #70
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Default Re: the method - johnny famechon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atigerofold View Post
There are a few other ROTE exercises that fit with the Method, I should share these with you.

I mentioned the excercise that Amby applied to beat Leg weariness. I forgot earlier to describe one to two rounds we spent in ROTE style (repetition of the exercise) dancing (footworK) around and accross the ring.

After we did a round of ducking and catching, there were other ROTE excercises that linked to catching and ducking punches. Amby would chase one boxer with his (Ambys) left hook, forcing his boxer to canter clockwise (to the left) catching adhoc left hooks with the right hand moving from chin to temple; the focus was on rapid exit and away to a safe distance from an attacking opponent.(clockwise) Second exercise was rapid movement -cantering to your right, anti-clockwise....Amby would chase you and try to hit you with his right cross. Often you can actually walk to your right away from an authodox attacker, because they find it hard to travel in an orbital, anti-clockwise, mode (You have to actually get out of your chair and do this - hhahaha, or see it and work with it, for this to become clearer....) Amby would chase you and try to hit you with a right cross. Often the several finales of both these smilar excercises was the boxer hitting his back to the ropes (regularly) , and then ducking under the next punch thrown.

Palmer would then get you to travel diagnally across the ring, shaped up, hopping and stepping up as if you were attacking; then he would get to you JUMP backwards - starting at one side of the ring, he would attack you with a colosal right cross - you would JUMP backwards (in boxing defence stance) and allow the punch to fall short...he'd run at you again, this time - with his swooshing left hook, again you would jump back and let the lefthook fall short, and by this stage your back usually had hit the ropes; he would throw a right cross and you would duck under this, and rapidly get away from your back to the ropes . These exercises were done with such authenticity and relevance to the real ring. It was high pressure foot work, and critical/strategic ring movement work.

It seems to me that these type of exercises/drills are not practised these days; largly, boxers want to walk up....maybe they think that retreating to a safe place (in manners described above) is somehow lacking testoserone, or weak. I tend to believe that retreat is strategic (very much like chess, moving your knight away and out of the way, whilst the opponent makes another few moves, and then bingo, your knight is moved back to the same square to kill the chess piece that is placed back there without thought....) Making punches miss and fall short, is a good way to set up an attack.

Remember, that the main focus of these exercises is....practising to NOT GET HIT.
..thanks for sharing that mate..that's quality information..
darkhorse is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:18 AM   #71
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Default Re: the method - johnny famechon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atigerofold View Post
Should I stop providing my descriptions of defensive tactics here ?
Are they of value to anyone?
I dont want to waste my time providing this to nobody.

Perhaps someone could tell me, or tell me to fark off, if I am of no value in raving on he with my descriptions of defensive stategies.

..smash it out mate..it's fuggin' gold..I appreciate it anyway..
darkhorse is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #72
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Default Re: the method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Also Floyd Patterson has one very good!
..I've always had a soft spot for Floyd Patterson..a kind of quiet achiever,but when you look at his record it's pretty impressive..and..he wasn't a giant either..but he was a brilliant boxer..
[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Patterson[/ame]
..that's the wikipedia link..it's worth a look..for anyone who's interested..
darkhorse is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #73
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
Default Re: the method

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
..I've always had a soft spot for Floyd Patterson..a kind of quiet achiever,but when you look at his record it's pretty impressive..and..he wasn't a giant either..but he was a brilliant boxer..
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
..that's the wikipedia link..it's worth a look..for anyone who's interested..
Nice little bio. On a side note did you see Floyds adopted son Tracey Harris Patterson working the corner of Hyland on the PAC v Marquez under card. Handy little fighter himself back in the day.
Crusher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #74
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Default Re: the method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Nice little bio. On a side note did you see Floyds adopted son Tracey Harris Patterson working the corner of Hyland on the PAC v Marquez under card. Handy little fighter himself back in the day.
..mate..I missed the Pac/JMM..can you believe that I couldn't find anywhere showin' it on the Gold Coast!!!!!!!!!!!!..I left me run to late..just assumed it would be in most pubs..****!!!!..I'm still cryin'

..but yeah..Tracey Harris Patterson was a decent sort of a boxer in his own right..and just lookin' at his record on Box-Rec..he faced some pretty hany opposition..includin' a pair of title fights against Gatti and maybe the biggy was knockin' off the undefeated Eddie Hopson..not real shabby at all..
darkhorse is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:47 AM   #75
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
Default Re: the method

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
..mate..I missed the Pac/JMM..can you believe that I couldn't find anywhere showin' it on the Gold Coast!!!!!!!!!!!!..I left me run to late..just assumed it would be in most pubs..****!!!!..I'm still cryin'

..but yeah..Tracey Harris Patterson was a decent sort of a boxer in his own right..and just lookin' at his record on Box-Rec..he faced some pretty hany opposition..includin' a pair of title fights against Gatti and maybe the biggy was knockin' off the undefeated Eddie Hopson..not real shabby at all..
He was a little past it for Gatti at super feather but a win and a draw with hall of famer Zaragoza was pretty good. 2 weight world champ best weight super bantam.
Can't believe no one showing it on the Gold Coast you must of been ropeable

Last edited by Crusher; 12-23-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Crusher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015