Old 12-23-2012, 04:02 AM   #76
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: the method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
He was a little past it for Gatti at super feather but a win and a draw with hall of famer Zaragoza was pretty good. 2 weight world champ best weight super bantam.
Can't believe no one showing it on the Gold Coast was showing it you must of been ropeable

..tell us about it....I ended up reading a round by round from the LA Galaxy..no one even done a round by round on here..
..I can't believe I missed the Hagler/Hearns of the new millienium..wasn't if i was workin' either..****!
..I cant move on..I think i'm gunna cut my wrists..
darkhorse is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2012, 04:18 AM   #77
old man
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: the method - johnny famechon

A boxer without sharp reflexes might find it too difficult to attempt a lot of strategies in the method.
He would get caught by the counter.
old man is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 04:35 AM   #78
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by atigerofold View Post
Should I stop providing my descriptions of defensive tactics here ?
Are they of value to anyone?
I dont want to waste my time providing this to nobody.

Perhaps someone could tell me, or tell me to fark off, if I am of no value in raving on he with my descriptions of defensive stategies.
No way , I really enjoy the read & this thread is one of the best I've read on any boxing site . Fantastic effort .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #79
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
No way , I really enjoy the read & this thread is one of the best I've read on any boxing site . Fantastic effort .
X2 great thread.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #80
atigerofold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
A boxer without sharp reflexes might find it too difficult to attempt a lot of strategies in the method.
He would get caught by the counter.

A boxer or fighter without sharp reflexes, should try to hone their skills and get up to the benchmark, or go and play cricket (any mans game),but I do think that there are those in the slow category that are better off practising the catching and ducking in the method. Rapid hand speed in attack is essential, and if you are a plodder, and cannot rise to the challenge to learn how to punch and move fast, then like I say, go and play cricket.

I was watching one of my Jack Russells a few weeks ago, he had come accross a small blue tongue lizard which was hiding out in a small crevice that he had made under the base brick layer on some of my garden steps.

It was facinating; Beau my JRussell, was a tiny bit scared at the blue tongues head bobbing in and out of the crevice, and would jump forward at the BTongue trying to bite at his head; the BlueTongue, would retreat back into his little cave right at the right moment, and let Beaus nostrils hit the brick wall, then Bluey would bite at Beau as he was retreating, this went on for a few days at different times.......Bluey always held his ground, but has moved out, I think, or found a dogless patch....no, the dogs didnt eat him, they always bring any kill to the front door. Blue, he was a shrewd defensive boxer for his size and deserved to be congratulated, when matched against such a formidable and tough opponent like Beau.
atigerofold is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 08:10 PM   #81
Boxing&Blues
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Should I stop providing my descriptions of defensive tactics here ?
Are they of value to anyone?
I dont want to waste my time providing this to nobody.

Perhaps someone could tell me, or tell me to fark off, if I am of no value in raving on he with my descriptions of defensive stategies.
NOOOOO. These are gold.

Do you still train fighters lol???
Boxing&Blues is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #82
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
yep. thread of the year. it just took you till dec the 20th or something to post it....

but love your work mate. keep at it.
swingin is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 01:09 AM   #83
atigerofold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I was training boxers in 1999-2001; then in 2011 and up until April 2012.

Breaking down boxing's strategic movements into small parcels/segments/micro-management, was a great way my dad used to teach the boxing method to me and my elder brother; initially, we could discuss and examine exactly what was needed to exist in order to attack, defend, predict and risk (with regards to each punch thown or each punch expected to be thrown by an opponent) At home, particularly after an intense sparring session at Palmers, we would debrief, and then play it out, what might have gone wrong, how we could have done better at some move......slowly,slowly....usually in our large kitchen. I think it is not just training, or a trainer that prescribes detailed instruction that is effective, it is the provision and necessity to practice, practice, practise.....ask..ask...and ask again......break it into pieces and play each piece out, slowly, slowly, debrief again to discuss the competency standard that you are at, and what else needs to be done to establish excellence.(faster, cleaner, fiercer, more practice, ROTE>)
Cheers.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:50 AM   #84
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

..I think the toughest thing training fighters these days is all the work you put into a kid,then they don't even fight or only have a couple of fights then you never see them again..it get to discouraging putting your heart and soul into a kid but deep down their hearts not in it..
...my old trainer was that jaded from it he reckons he waits until after a kid/adult has a fight before puttin' any time into them..
Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #85
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
..I think the toughest thing training fighters these days is all the work you put into a kid,then they don't even fight or only have a couple of fights then you never see them again..it get to discouraging putting your heart and soul into a kid but deep down their hearts not in it..
...my old trainer was that jaded from it he reckons he waits until after a kid/adult has a fight before puttin' any time into them..
Kids these days defiantly have a short attention Span.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #86
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: the method

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Voice View Post
I'll send you mine for 50 bucks + postage (Xmas special)
..I wouldn't mind taking that off you for $50 Anton..if that's alright...I'm livin' on the Goldy so i could meet you down your local and grab it mate..
..but I'm out of the country until the end of febuary if you can hold of until then..cheers..
Old 12-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #87
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
Kids these days defiantly have a short attention Span.
..I've had this conversation a few times with different trainers..I reckon it's about one in 20 kids who'll come through the door of your gym will have a fight..
..and probably a smaller percentage will actually have more than half a dozen fights..
..a tough gig trainin'..10 out of 10 for anyone prepared to commit to it..
Old 12-24-2012, 02:52 AM   #88
atigerofold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
That is a decent equation, to wait until a kid has had a fight; though, it is not realistic, that some other trainer might be standing in his corner for his first fight, when you have trained him.

It is a bit of a rarity these days, that kids who are descendants from their father, or grandfathers who boxed, come to a gym and say sign me up for a fight as soon as you think that I am competent. I am an exception to the flock I suppose, I fought pro at sixteen, and from the age of 14yrs whilst watching my elder brother, was highly keyed up, keen and ready to learn to steps up to the block and have my go at it.

I have found some blokes I have trained that are highly skilled and competent, and some of these, I have advised to immediately step straight into novice/prelim pro-boxing, but these blokes have dodged the invitation,(and obviously have their own busy lives and agenda's); some, no doubt are too spooked to actually ever want to take on boxing competitively. In trying to influence them, by honest feedback, they seem to enjoy the hot air blown up their arse as to how good they might be if they took up pro boxing, but wont run towards that hurdle. Gaining prowess by "Thinking about" how you could jump the hurdles should never be rewarded until you have actually jumped a hurdle.

Over my lifetime I have seen a dozen or so blokes that thrive in the gym, but never, ever, take on an offer to fight competitively. It is a shame.

Being a boxing trainer does not only require some technical expertise, but also some psychological presence; this presence does not always work, the youth today - compared to my day, are totally different.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #89
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That is a decent equation, to wait until a kid has had a fight; though, it is not realistic, that some other trainer might be standing in his corner for his first fight, when you have trained him.

It is a bit of a rarity these days, that kids who are descendants from their father, or grandfathers who boxed, come to a gym and say sign me up for a fight as soon as you think that I am competent. I am an exception to the flock I suppose, I fought pro at sixteen, and from the age of 14yrs whilst watching my elder brother, was highly keyed up, keen and ready to learn to steps up to the block and have my go at it.

I have found some blokes I have trained that are highly skilled and competent, and some of these, I have advised to immediately step straight into novice/prelim pro-boxing, but these blokes have dodged the invitation,(and obviously have their own busy lives and agenda's); some, no doubt are too spooked to actually ever want to take on boxing competitively. In trying to influence them, by honest feedback, they seem to enjoy the hot air blown up their arse as to how good they might be if they took up pro boxing, but wont run towards that hurdle. Gaining prowess by "Thinking about" how you could jump the hurdles should never be rewarded until you have actually jumped a hurdle.

Over my lifetime I have seen a dozen or so blokes that thrive in the gym, but never, ever, take on an offer to fight competitively. It is a shame.

Being a boxing trainer does not only require some technical expertise, but also some psychological presence; this presence does not always work, the youth today - compared to my day, are totally different.
..and as you well know mate..the skill level skyrockets with a kids confidence once they've taken the leap..
..and deadright to when you say it's ussually the offspring of fighters that are on the mission to replicate their dad or grandad..or uncle..

..and for the record..my old trainer is probably the most experienced trainer up in Townsville..I do understand him though..jaded and burnt out from bein' shit on over the years..
..anyhow..merry christmas from Africa mate..
Old 12-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #90
atigerofold
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

[Darkhorse.......anyhow..merry christmas from Africa mate..[/quote]
Have a good Christmas mate.
Kind Regards.

Last edited by atigerofold; 12-24-2012 at 04:35 PM.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum