Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #76
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: The Transnational Boxing Rankings

Well, you can certainly believe that Wlad should be HW champion. I think that is reasonable. Thinking that Wlad should be HW champion "regardless of the rules" is obviously not reasonable. That is, that statement suggests that Wlad should be ruled HW champion because of special dispensation. That is not a sensible point of view.

There is no way to crown Wladimir the HW champion based upon TBR rules. This, unsurprisingly, is due to the duel rule of him and his brother. For details, see here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2012, 12:32 AM   #77
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Saying that McGrain, he could have been crowned a champ going into the rankings just like Dawson, ward, Martinez and Igarashi all were.

Before vitali had returned the top 3 was wlad, iggy and Peter. Wlad had just beaten 1 and would soon beat the other.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 05:56 AM   #78
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

True, but not related to the debate at hand; Wlad needs to beat the divisional #1 contender in order to be crowned TBR champion. That's all there is to say about it really. As soon as you start retrospectively (in the sense "he was #1 contender if") crowning champions what you have to hand is a mess, instead of the total clarity we have now.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 08:00 AM   #79
pong
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

stopped buying or following the ring when they sacked the board will refer to these rankings now. keep at it takes time to get respect
pong is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #80
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3414

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
The Trans Rankings active membership is as follows; in alphabetical order:

Adam Abramowitz is the founder and head writer for Saturday Night Boxing. In addition, he is the moderator of the online Saturday Night Boxing community, featuring discussion and opinion from over 50,000 boxing fans around the world. Abramowitz lives in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the United States.

Ramon Aranda is the founder and editor-in-chief at 3 More Rounds. He also co-hosts the 3MR Podcast and is a contributor to Primer Round Magazine. Originally from Los Angeles, he currently lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.

Sidney Boquiren has covered the Japanese boxing scene since 2010. He began writing for The Boxing Bulletin, and then joined Bad Left Hook when the sites merged. His work has also been featured in Boxing Magazine, one of the major publications on the sport in Japan. Boquiren is based in Tokyo, Japan.

Jake Donovan is the Managing Editor of Boxing Scene. Donovan is based out of the southeast United States, but was born and raised in New York where he began his writing career in 1997.

Oliver Fennell is a British boxing writer based in Bangkok. He has covered boxing since 2000, most notably for UKWeeklyMagazine and Boxing News, for whom he is currently the Thai correspondent. His specialties are the heavyweight division, and British, American, and Asian boxing. Oliver has also covered many boxing topics and matches for a range of newspapers and websites and is a contributor and editor for the BoxRec database.

Andrew Fruman is a Canadian boxing writer based in Toronto. He writes for The Cruelest Sport and The Living Daylights, and is an assistant editor for Bad Left Hook. He is a member of the International Boxing Research Organization and a contributor and editor for the BoxRec database.

Stewart Howe (Tech) is a prime mover behind the British Boxing Hall of Fame and has worked closely with boxing personalities on both sides of the ropes and on both sides of the Atlantic. He is also website designer/artist and a founding member of the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board. Howe lives in London, England.

Jason Karp is a columnist and analyst. A regular contributor to The Cruelest Sport, his work has also appeared on Bad Left Hook and The Boxing Bulletin. Karp lives in Toronto, Ontario.

Ronan Keenan is a freelance writer based in Dublin, Ireland. His boxing writing has appeared on sites such as The Sweet Science, Boxing Scene, Seconds Out and Fox Sports. He is a member of the Boxing Writers Association of America and his work has been recognized by Barney Nagler Writing Awards on multiple occasions.

Kelsey McCarson is a boxing writer for The Sweet Science and a member of the International Boxing Research Organization. Kelsey has a B.A. in English from the University of Houston. He lives and works just outside of Houston, trains at his local amateur boxing gym, and is working on a book chronicling boxing’s heavyweight champions.

Alex McClintock started writing about boxing on the Queensberry Rules blog. He is now the Deputy Editor and has written about boxing and other subjects for The Ringwebsite, The Sweet Science, Men’s Fitness, and The Guardian. Alex started boxing after he became a fan and is 4-1 as an amateur.

Matt McGrain, a boxing historian, analyst, and lifelong student of the sport, is a writer for East Side Boxing and Boxing.com. McGrain lives in the Highlands of Scotland in a messy apartment.
Fixed.
des3995 is online now  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #81
des3995
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3414

In all seriousness, I love this idea, and will support as best as I can. Keep the updates coming and keep up the good work boys.
des3995 is online now  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #82
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Incidentally I caved and purchased the latest rind mag, they reckon Floyd v Guerrero crowns a new lineage at 147.
What a surprise. I'm shocked.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #83
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
True, but not related to the debate at hand; Wlad needs to beat the divisional #1 contender in order to be crowned TBR champion. That's all there is to say about it really. As soon as you start retrospectively (in the sense "he was #1 contender if") crowning champions what you have to hand is a mess, instead of the total clarity we have now.
But hasn't the board already retrospectively crowned champions in the divsion? Those who were listed as champ when the rankings were released?
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #84
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
But hasn't the board already retrospectively crowned champions in the divsion? Those who were listed as champ when the rankings were released?
Yes, so I'm stressing the difference between retrospectively crowning a champion based upon what would have been the case (had Vitali not un-retired, whatever else) and retrospectively crowning champions based upon what did happen.

To be clear: Wladimir Klitschko never defeated a #1 contender when he was ranked as #2 or a #2 contender when ranked as #1. This is the ONLY way a Transnational champion can be crowned. That being the case there is literally no argument for crowning him TBR champion.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #85
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yes, so I'm stressing the difference between retrospectively crowning a champion based upon what would have been the case (had Vitali not un-retired, whatever else) and retrospectively crowning champions based upon what did happen.

To be clear: Wladimir Klitschko never defeated a #1 contender when he was ranked as #2 or a #2 contender when ranked as #1. This is the ONLY way a Transnational champion can be crowned. That being the case there is literally no argument for crowning him TBR champion.
Did pongsaklek?

Btw I'm not being an arse here I just can't recall the origin of the flyweight lineage from top of my head.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 11:42 AM   #86
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Kameda, 2010 I believe.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #87
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Quote:
Kameda, 2010 I believe.
Well I know he beat Koki who beat Naito who beat pong but pong had a long reign as champ before that and considering he never unified I'm just wondering where the lineage originated.

I'm sure stoney will know as this is his bread and butter.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #88
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Koki Kamada would have been #2, wouldn't he?

EDIT: Apologies, I didn't know there was another page
Jack is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #89
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

Looking at boxrec igarashis claim originates with Miguel canto. Whilst I don't for one second doubt he was the number 1 flyweight, did he ever beat the number 2 whilst there?

Hopefully stoney can clarify.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #90
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Koki Kamada would have been #2, wouldn't he?
Yeah.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum