Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
Mimo

vCash: 500
Default Does anyone not run?

Personally I run but I was just wondering if anyone doesn't incorporate it into their training yet still has sufficient stamina for their fights? You often hear that roadwork is essential but I wanted to see if there are many people here who disagree.
Mimo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515
Default Re: Does anyone not run?

Nonito Donaire didnt run 1 m in his preparation for his last fight.
I mostly do sprints and intervals,and maybe have one long run a week just clear my thoughts.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

The Eliptical, Concept 2, Mountain Bike and Swimming is all I ever use.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimo View Post
Personally I run but I was just wondering if anyone doesn't incorporate it into their training yet still has sufficient stamina for their fights? You often hear that roadwork is essential but I wanted to see if there are many people here who disagree.
Old school coaches would have you believe road work (as in distance running) is essential, it is in no way essential.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Chavez had bad ankles and didn't run for a significant portion of his career, I believe from the late 1980s.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 568

Cycling and swimming. Rowing machine now and then. That's all.
withoutwire is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Who would believe running on your Back while laid down would beat them all, for getting Fit, and staying Fit. .
scrap is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Who would believe running on your Back while laid down would beat them all, for getting Fit, and staying Fit. .
great abs and whole body workout, i would do it but its too damn hard
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Old school coaches would have you believe road work (as in distance running) is essential, it is in no way essential.
I agree.

I sometimes do circuit / drill type sessions for our lads that are aimed to replace running (these are not strength circuits per se but I do put a in a few resistance / body weight exercises).

The way I see it, is that running is not very sport specific and does little for coordination, balance, agility.

Using various drills / exercises you can easily target the same components of fitness but get the added benefits of increasing coordination, balance, agility and various strength components.

With young amateurs that only train 3-4 times per week for an hour or so I think it is important to get as much bang for your buck as possible and in this case running doesn't cut it.
RichC is online now  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I've heard you refer to this many times Scrap and I've seen your machine. Looks interesting. When do we get to try it out for ourselves?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
I agree.

I sometimes do circuit / drill type sessions for our lads that are aimed to replace running (these are not strength circuits per se but I do put a in a few resistance / body weight exercises).

The way I see it, is that running is not very sport specific and does little for coordination, balance, agility.

Using various drills / exercises you can easily target the same components of fitness but get the added benefits of increasing coordination, balance, agility and various strength components.

With young amateurs that only train 3-4 times per week for an hour or so I think it is important to get as much bang for your buck as possible and in this case running doesn't cut it.
Running is very specific to Boxing.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #12
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
I've heard you refer to this many times Scrap and I've seen your machine. Looks interesting. When do we get to try it out for ourselves?
Got one at home if you fancy the trip. Had 10 years of Tests, had the idea in 84. Realised what it did very early, but like all things you have to have the Facts, and that costs money . Now we have them, it makes interesting reading Im told, havent read them just been told, even better than expected.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #13
Mimo

Whilst running has benefit my stamina and leg endurance I do seem to have quite weak ankles and feet in general.
Mimo is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #14
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Quote:
Got one at home if you fancy the trip. Had 10 years of Tests, had the idea in 84. Realised what it did very early, but like all things you have to have the Facts, and that costs money . Now we have them, it makes interesting reading Im told, havent read them just been told, even better than expected.
What was the initial idea based on? Was it due to the impact from running? I've looked in to it a few times and noticed that isn't the only benefit, but meant to ask what sparked the idea.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
What was the initial idea based on? Was it due to the impact from running? I've looked in to it a few times and noticed that isn't the only benefit, but meant to ask what sparked the idea.
Always from the 60s used elastic, so understood the principles of its resistances. It was a premier player 96 Walked in the gym on Crutches, well Hobbled. Club had released Him, Acl and petela Tendon, broken Knee. I said it would take time, He said Ive got 12 week before a medical to play for another Team div below, I said no chance, He said give it a go,. Thats when I came up with it idea. 12 week later He had pssed His medical and was playing again. Plus some of the other stuff it was doing, was unreal. First made a drawing of it in 84 in a traffic Jam on Park Lane .
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing