Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Nafflad26
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Any chance of Sky refusing to show prizefighters? They've had their time.

Just wondered if Sky will ever refuse to show prizefighters they are becoming boring now and are about a year past their sell by date. I hope matchroom aren't going to fill their sky dates up with poor substandard prizefighters containing fighters with mostly losing records.
Nafflad26 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Any chance of Sky refusing to show prizefighters? They've had their time.

I detest Prizefighter, but as long as it pulls in decent rating figures SKY will continue to show it.
Boxalot is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Marlow
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 960
Default Re: Any chance of Sky refusing to show prizefighters? They've had their time.

A tv thread from you, give over this never happens.
Marlow is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

Prizefighter is controversial. Some people really like them because they're exciting and the fights are exciting. Lots of people or "purists" as they're called hate them because they think it's just a gimmick. I can see why both sides feel the way they do, there's a lot to like and hate about Prizefighter.

I definitely agree though that they've become tiresome. In my opinion, there's far too many, far too often. I think Prizefighter would be good if they only had 1 event a year, maybe in the summer. Then that's it, Sky should give them a rest for while afterwards. Having one 5 or 6 a year like they do now just cheapens the whole premise and it becomes stale.

Sky and Matchroom should stop doing them for a while and only bring it when fans are hungry for it again. Right now we're bloated off it.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Smoggy7188
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Least there is only 5 of them this year.
Smoggy7188 is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
I Shot JR
Belt holder
ESB Addict

They should shake up the format and have four decent fighters competing over two six round bouts. I think the format as is is rather tired.
I Shot JR is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Joe.Boxer
Chinchecker
ESB Addict

vCash: 240

Would be far better if some bareknuckle and unlicensed fighters entered.
Joe.Boxer is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #8
Vyborg1917
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 161

Matchroom's current stable seems incapable of filling the designated dates, so unfortunately we're stuck with them.
Vyborg1917 is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #9
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Shot JR View Post
They should shake up the format and have four decent fighters competing over two six round bouts. I think the format as is is rather tired.
If you did that with some prospects coming into double digits it would good for their development rather than handing them survivors and glass jawed lithuanians
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

The length of the bouts is what makes them such an unedifying spectacle. Boxers tend to have a better chance than pressure fighters, and plain aggression is enough to win a fight, rather than effective assault.

Also, prizefighter is shit. It was always shit.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #11
Marlow
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
The length of the bouts is what makes them such an unedifying spectacle. Boxers tend to have a better chance than pressure fighters, and plain aggression is enough to win a fight, rather than effective assault.

Also, prizefighter is shit. It was always shit.
Obsession by Calvin Klein.
Marlow is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 01:42 PM   #12
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Obsession by Calvin Klein.
Oh, hilarious - it's like you're trying to make a running joke, but in fact you're not especially funny.

PF IS shit. No denying it. Incidentally, I give Hearn a lot of credit for how he's building Frampton.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
Marlow
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Oh, hilarious - it's like you're trying to make a running joke, but in fact you're not especially funny.

PF IS shit. No denying it. Incidentally, I give Hearn a lot of credit for how he's building Frampton.
If its Hearn Degale or sky you're on here hating, gets a bit tiresome.
Marlow is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If its Hearn Degale or sky you're on here hating, gets a bit tiresome.
Allow me to recommend you dry your eyes. It's equally tiresome to read so many threads sucking Hearn off. And I've left DeGale alone to a large extent recently, until people bring up his magical hidden talent.

I wasn't even having a go at Hearn here - I've never liked PF. I don't even dislike Hearn (which is a nuance lost on many here), I simply dislike how people give him a pass for things they hammer others over.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 12-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
Marlow
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Quote:
Allow me to recommend you dry your eyes. It's equally tiresome to read so many threads sucking Hearn off. And I've left DeGale alone to a large extent recently, until people bring up his magical hidden talent.

I wasn't even having a go at Hearn here - I've never liked PF. I don't even dislike Hearn (which is a nuance lost on many here), I simply dislike how people give him a pass for things they hammer others over.
You clearly don't understand new age promoting.
Marlow is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum