Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
jimmyonebomb
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default First fight, first loss!

Was in two minds whether too put this up as i wasnt the best really, and know a lot oftings i need to improve (fitness, keep guard up more, keep going in straight lines etc). But it cant hurt to get a bit more feedback can it!?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

got another soon so any feedback appreciated, no matter how brutal!! Dont even know if ive uploaded video right! Oh im the taller blue lad.
jimmyonebomb is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 10:25 PM   #2
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2648
Default Re: First fight, first loss!

Hiya mate, didn't watch it because videos use loads of data up on my dongle but I'll get round to it.

The main thing I'd say is listen to your coaches. I lost my first one by stoppage, what I did with a coach was video myself doing basic punches i.e. the jab etc. to see if there was any tells, or if I was making any mistakes. Turns out I was dropping my none punching hand when throwing the jab (watching back my first fight it's that what got me KO'd) and I was raising my left before jabbing. Most people have a tell before a jab, you even watch the pros mate, most of them do.

Next thing I'd say is, push yourself that extra mile in training, if you know you should be running but feel like you can't be arsed, just do it anyway or if you know you shouldn't be eating a chocolate bar or having a take away, resist the urge until it goes away. I've found having a rest day once a week helps, however don't got too mad, just a chocolate bar, some crisps a bottle of pop, not drinking beers and take aways etc.

Don't be too hard on yourself, many great fighters have lost their first amateur fight, Joe Calzaghe is one off the top of my head. Everybody who steps in that ring is a winner in my eyes so stick with it until that first win comes mate, don't be too hard on yourself. Only had 7 fights myself (won 5) but I hope my advice has been a help.

BTW when you get that first win, it really is one of the most amazing feelings mate, you'll be glad you did all the hard work WHEN you get it. Stick in mate!!!
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 11:15 PM   #3
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Well, i'd say you definitely did not hold back. You seem pretty strong and i'd hate to be on the other end of a street fight with you. But simply put, your opponent fought smarter.
My advice - keep your hands up. I don't need to tell you that, cuz i'm sure your coach grilled you already about it. It almost looked like you had 0 defence. You can surely benefit from a peekaboo guard. It's one of the easiest defensive guards you can use, until you get more advanced.
Secondly, you seemed to have 0 gameplan. No discernable strategy being employed, except throw a basic 1-2-1-2-1-2 whenever you had him cornered.
I'm sure you're kicking yourself about that too, cuz you're probably 100% better when sparring with your teammates. No worries, I think the vast majority of amateurs experience this especially in our first few fights.
My advice for your next fight:
1. Relax, think about what you want to do then try to execute it. Anyone who's ever competed knows this isn't as easy to do. But it's just jitters, you'll get over it.
2. Don't punch yourself out too early, pace yourself.
3. Block and counter - yes there are 101 different strategies we can suggest, but if you follow this basic principal, you'll be 100% better off than your first performance, where basically he landed shots at will and you just threw non-stop whenever possible. Pick your shots - like your opponent did. He did not appear to be in as physically good shape as you - but he blocked your shots, waited til you opened up and countered between your punches.
5 - throw combos. The 1-2-1-2-1-2 is so easy to block, leaves you open, then you're exhausted and unable to defend after a 4 second flurry. A 3 or 4 shot combo takes up less energy, and is twice as effective and is harder to predict, especially when you mix in body shots.
Athletically, you seem fine - just try to use strategy and fight smart.
Good luck on your next fight!
Speechless is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 PM   #4
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyonebomb View Post
Was in two minds whether too put this up as i wasnt the best really, and know a lot oftings i need to improve (fitness, keep guard up more, keep going in straight lines etc). But it cant hurt to get a bit more feedback can it!?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

got another soon so any feedback appreciated, no matter how brutal!! Dont even know if ive uploaded video right! Oh im the taller blue lad.
How long have you been Training at Boxing.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I have to say I was very, very impressed. You looked very, very good for a first timer. I would be very proud of that performance regardless of the result.

Although you clearly tired, I don't think you weren't fit enough. Fighting at that pace, throwing power shots and the nerves associated with a first bout would be difficult for an Olympic boxer.

Keep working hard and you will make a very good lad for sure.
RichC is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Indio-Bandido
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

dont listen to these dudes, man. youre sloppy. u were basically just throwing punches. youre tall, you should be jabbing a lot more. u need to calm down in there. youre wide open for counters and your body's completely exposed most of the time. bottom line: calm down in there. work on specific combinations. try a three punch combination. a good one is: jab, left hook, straight right. or: right uppercut, left hook, right cross. work on those. pace yourself, man. you're a lot better than that guy. your punches are straighter and u have more reach. the fight was yours to lose. my two cents.
Indio-Bandido is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
123ko
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Bloody hell quality fight for the spectator ,,,but anyway you need to find your range , in the gym get in your boxing stance ,put out the jab & LEAVE it there step back or forward till the glove touches the bag ,thats your range 1 in 10 punch's put out the jab again & so on

when you hit the back & the bag starts swing your to close ,,,, concentrate on getting your punch back to chin & not power

remember with speed you get snap power that will jolt is head off ,,,follow through power will put you within his range that why you walk onto his Punch's

finally try to practice rolling under hooks with counter hooks

over all you have some grit to last as long as you did ,,,my opinion is the mistakes you made help him to win,,,I'm shore your coach will see your potential ,,,,try to be defensive with counters ,,,don't go to attack in your next fight (just an idea) experience can only improve knowledge to then become a better boxer

Last edited by 123ko; 01-03-2013 at 08:49 AM.
123ko is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing