Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #31
blanch89

vCash: 150
Default Re: What is the point of "light sparring" as a consistent training method?

Going too lightly leads to picking up faults imo

going to hard leads to you not developing,for me it's 60%-90%.

unless they're young/old/shit,in which case i'll take it easier and just focus on doing something i need to work on.
blanch89 is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #32
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What is the point of "light sparring" as a consistent training method?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dempsey1234 View Post
We payed well .
scrap is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #33
McGuinty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speechless View Post
In my gym, we only go easy on noobs, but give them a few weeks and it's fair game.

I hear a lot of guys say they've done sparring before, but only "light contact".

We don't know the meaning of "light contact" in my gym. Nobody says "let's do some light sparring today". It's just an unwritten rule that you don't go too hard with noobs (or people that are significantly smaller).
But my coach has always believed that you can't give anyone a false sense of security by going light, and that if you want to be a serious competitor, you gotta learn how to go hard - we all got our asses kicked in the beginning (and I still do by bigger/better guys). But we usually go 80-90% during sparring.

I imagine we're not alone here - and that most gyms don't do this half-contact, light-contact stuff.

So does anyone here belong to a gym that does half/light contact sparring on a consistent basis, and what do you get out of it?
Just to move about.

Get your feet moving, your hand's moving, slipping and rolling.

Just takin it easy to shake off any rust and get back into a rhythm.

Or else somebody isn't lookin for a hiding, just lookin to move around.
McGuinty is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2012, 08:17 PM   #34
Hyland
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I don't try to go 100% even though I'm a novice, and you know how novice fights be.

If I take a week off sparring, when I come back I go 80% just to get my rhythm back, then the next days I turn it up a notch.
Hyland is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 02:18 AM   #35
JDK
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 675

Sparring drills can be helpful. Mostly with inexperienced people or younger kids.
Sparring in general should be as close as it can be to the real thing.
Yes, it's the place to put technique into action and learn through experience. But you won't learn the deeper quirks of your body or control a situation unless you get into that certain zone.
We don't create wars, but we also don't pamper anyone into believing boxing is only play/sport deep.
Good sparring filters out what ever and who ever needs to be filtered out.
JDK is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #36
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1794

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayuum View Post
12 oz and no headgear?

Is your gym the kobra kai of boxing gyms?
its normal thing.. novice guys here always buy 10-12 oz gloves, but they use it only on tehnical (light sparring) drills. if we spar hard then we use headgear and gloves from club (16-20 oz)
captain hook is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #37
StillWill
Dr. Eisenfaust
ESB Addict

vCash: 174

Hard sparring is the best. All world champions who i have seen spar go at it 100 percent, and remember also they are paying their partners so the partners have to give their best effort.

It's about preparing for the fight, your opponent isn't going to go light
StillWill is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #38
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

I have a sparring class every week. Each week we get about 8-16 attending. Each of those lads does 14 rounds in the night. It's controlled skill based sparring. In a year we've had one knockdown and 2 nose bleeds.

So that's approximately 8,400 rounds of sparring resulting in one knockdown and two nosebleeds ... All different levels some pro, some am.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 03:45 AM   #39
dealt_with
Belt holder
ESB Addict

When other athletes are at training do they go 100% against their team mates? Are they constantly playing games against each other risking injury? Of course not, they do drills and rotate their activities every training session. Should be the same way with boxing, you're using moves at different speeds in different situations to learn those skills. You put them to use in competition, if you're treating every session like competition then when are your learning sessions? You'll get burnt out and injured if you're treating sparring as competition. The more relevant question is 'what is the point of heavy sparring'? To give a newcomer the taste of competition and a bit of confidence that they can handle it. I think it's especially important for more experienced boxers to avoid hard sparring as it doesn't offer much to a fighters development or longevity.
dealt_with is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 04:43 AM   #40
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Light Sparring, [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGZMfA-rfBw[/ame] Champ v Novice
scrap is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 02:49 PM   #41
norfolkinchance
Contender
ESB Senior Member

terry dunstan?
norfolkinchance is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #42
jasper2005
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealt_with View Post
When other athletes are at training do they go 100% against their team mates? Are they constantly playing games against each other risking injury? Of course not, they do drills and rotate their activities every training session. Should be the same way with boxing, you're using moves at different speeds in different situations to learn those skills. You put them to use in competition, if you're treating every session like competition then when are your learning sessions? You'll get burnt out and injured if you're treating sparring as competition. The more relevant question is 'what is the point of heavy sparring'? To give a newcomer the taste of competition and a bit of confidence that they can handle it. I think it's especially important for more experienced boxers to avoid hard sparring as it doesn't offer much to a fighters development or longevity.
you obviously never played any other contact sports... its when u dont go 100% that injuries occur most frequently
jasper2005 is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #43
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper2005 View Post
you obviously never played any other contact sports... its when u dont go 100% that injuries occur most frequently
Since when?
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #44
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Since when?
Yrs utter Bollocks
scrap is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #45
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 515

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper2005 View Post
Lol utter nonsense
pecho26 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing