Old 12-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #61
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Andre Ward's desperation is clear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieMc View Post
Andre Ward has been mouthing off on Twitter again, today of all days. I used to like Ward, not as a fighter (because watching him is as boring as watching grass grow) but I liked him as a bloke. Came across as maybe a little bit dull, but a calm, friendly and humble man.

Recently though he's really began to irritate me. On Twitter, he's CONSTANTLY talking Froch and why he shouldn't have to fight him again. It's always childish digs (about Froch saying he felt homesick) and accusations (saying Froch doesn't really want a rematch). To me, it's coming across as a desperate plea for attention. What do you think? Have you seen the stuff he's coming out with?
Ward is boring eh? any coach in this country would love to be his trainer the guy is class but you the great Paulie think he's boring lol
billy nelson is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #62
PaulieMc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
Ward is boring eh? any coach in this country would love to be his trainer the guy is class but you the great Paulie think he's boring lol
Yes Billy, I think he's boring. Watching his fights puts me to sleep. As do the opponents that Ricky Burns is facing currently instead of Broner.
PaulieMc is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #63
sniffmybadger
trust me I'm a stomach
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
Being a knowledgeable boxing man, you can probably appreciate the skill and ability of him. Most casuals don't like his style, they'd much rather watch a Froch Kessler slug fest. I think I would too. Still massively respect Ward though.
sniffmybadger is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #64
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Wards the sort of fighter you need to be in a certain mood to watch, if I want to watch a tear up or all out war, Ward would be at the bottom of the list, If you are in a relaxed mood and want to look for technical skill and craft then Ward would be a perfect choice.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 06:06 PM   #65
jpab19
Exploding Muffin Dad
East Side Guru

vCash: 9287

I love watching Ward, definitely one of my favourite fighters. The Bika fight was pretty messy with an awful lot of mauling going on but aside from that I can't think of a bout of his that I haven't enjoyed. He's so complete I don't get why people seem to loathe watching him so much.

Each to his/her own I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark81 View Post
Forget his inactivity, the fact is Dirrell beat Froch in Nottingham and did not get the decision = deserves rematch. Clearly, the judges thought that hitting fresh air scored points
Pretty much.

I mean, ideally I'd like Dirrell to actually fight first against a somewhat meaningful opponent but I think he warrants a rematch at some point. Frankly as long as you haven't broken rules to some heinous degree, regardless of the manner in which you've gone about your work during the fight, if you deserved to get the decision in your favour and that didn't happen you deserve an opportunity to put things right.

In my opinion, anyways.
jpab19 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #66
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpab19 View Post
I love watching Ward, definitely one of my favourite fighters. The Bika fight was pretty messy with an awful lot of mauling going on but aside from that I can't think of a bout of his that I haven't enjoyed. He's so complete I don't get why people seem to loathe watching him so much.

Each to his/her own I guess.
I suspect it's because he takes his opponents' strengths away and it makes the bouts somewhat lacking in drama. He dominates without being destructive and, for some fans, I guess they prefer the blood n' guts to the skill on display. ****, it's the only reason I can think of why Arturo Gatti is in the HoF.

Hopefully the Dawson bout is the start of Ward going for the stoppage more.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #67
jpab19
Exploding Muffin Dad
East Side Guru

vCash: 9287

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
I suspect it's because he takes his opponents' strengths away and it makes the bouts somewhat lacking in drama. He dominates without being destructive and, for some fans, I guess they prefer the blood n' guts to the skill on display. ****, it's the only reason I can think of why Arturo Gatti is in the HoF.

Yeah, I get that impression too. 'Tis a shame but I often forget that I'm probably in the minority when it comes to what people prefer to see in fights. Back and forth "wars" are great and all but I generally prefer to see an excellent technical display most of the time. The boring lad that I am.

Even still, despite hardly being FOTY contenders I think a decent proportion of his fights are relatively entertaining. I wouldn't consider his Froch, Kessler, Dawson, Abraham etc performances to be boring ones anyways.

A lot of Gatti's entry is based on sentimentality as far as I can see, what with his passing being not too long ago and many of the BWAA people having followed his career pretty closely. Ideally, a place in any sports-related hall of fame would be reserved for true, elite "greats". I suppose at some point you're going to have a shortage of those and it then becomes a bit of a popularity contest.
jpab19 is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #68
icemax
Indian Red
East Side VIP

vCash: 664

Quote:
Originally Posted by mani0 View Post
At least after getting schooled he doesn't say the guy who schooled him is boring.
Inappropriate use of the word "schooled"
icemax is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 08:47 PM   #69
Pericles
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark81 View Post
Why should he give Froch a rematch when the 1st fight wasn't that competitive or close?

It's Dirrell that deserves the rematch!
Who?
Pericles is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 PM   #70
Pericles
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpab19 View Post
Yeah, I get that impression too. 'Tis a shame but I often forget that I'm probably in the minority when it comes to what people prefer to see in fights. Back and forth "wars" are great and all but I generally prefer to see an excellent technical display most of the time. The boring lad that I am.

Even still, despite hardly being FOTY contenders I think a decent proportion of his fights are relatively entertaining. I wouldn't consider his Froch, Kessler, Dawson, Abraham etc performances to be boring ones anyways.

A lot of Gatti's entry is based on sentimentality as far as I can see, what with his passing being not too long ago and many of the BWAA people having followed his career pretty closely. Ideally, a place in any sports-related hall of fame would be reserved for true, elite "greats". I suppose at some point you're going to have a shortage of those and it then becomes a bit of a popularity contest.
Gatti = 4x FOTY.

That's a big part of why he's in the HOF. Andre Ward, for all his technical ability, has not one FOTY entry. Same goes for Pernell Whitaker, Floyd Mayweather Jr and Bernard Hopkins. Selling fights and selling boxing is about more than skill.
Pericles is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #71
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

So, Ward is acting like your typical fighter when given the horrific gift of regular public Internet access to bicker with boxing fans? Man, that's unforgivable.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 11:10 PM   #72
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

Ward is desperate for dollars, that's what he's desperate for.
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #73
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.
vCash: 1000

I know he's not perfect but I'm shocked at the amount of stick Ward gets from fans. Find it a little bit embarrassing really. He's a quality, quality fighter who, if he gets over his shoulder injury(Pavlik fight is off btw), could become a great.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #74
jackukmma
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 818

I love watching Ward fight but can appreciate why people think he's boring, technically he's great. He smothers people and beats up on them without looking like stopping them. That can be boring if you don't like that particular style. He's stuck at the minute though and despite beating Froch handilly he currently needs Froch more than Froch needs him. Strange how things work out sometimes.
jackukmma is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #75
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackukmma View Post
I love watching Ward fight but can appreciate why people think he's boring, technically he's great. He smothers people and beats up on them without looking like stopping them. That can be boring if you don't like that particular style. He's stuck at the minute though and despite beating Froch handilly he currently needs Froch more than Froch needs him. Strange how things work out sometimes.
This is a good post.

With Ward as a fighter I have found that you need to look at the little things, the things like what he does to nullify opponents work or the positioning of his feet, it's little things like this that separates him.
Bill C84 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum