Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #31
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920
Default Re: How I would advise Robert Guerrero to fight Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Some very good posts

I was impressed by Guerrero's physicality against Berto, and I wouldn't be surprised if he continued that against Mayweather...which would be a mistake IMO. Mayweather is just too clever, too experienced, and it's what he expects now.

The 'ambush' tactics are very interesting, and the fact Guerrero is southpaw who has very good punch variety makes it all the more interesting. What Guerrero can't do if he is to have success is throw the "norm" combinations and patterns. Don't follow a right with a left, then a right and then a left. Mix it up, throw two lefts, one right, a left, two rights, etc, etc...all the while mixing it from head to body, body to head, uppercuts, etc. Straight punches, hooks, different angles for punches, different variations of punches, etc. Don't fall in to a pattern, Mayweather loves it. Cotto had a lot of success by mixing his punches up, 3 lefts in a row, not the usual left, right, left. You will make Mayweather's defense stand out even more if your punches are in the left, right, left pattern.

Not sure Guerrero is capable of any of this though. He may have success early, but I see Mayweather breaking him down.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2012, 01:08 PM   #32
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
Problem is without great foot-speed and precise foot-work, Floyd just takes a step to his right; the left lands on the shoulder, the fighter walks into a right, Floyd keeps stepping rightwards and repeats the process. And when he pressures, a fighter better be able to circle out faster than he can, which is why leading or advancing makes a big difference. But it's not at all a point to ignore, given the way you can align the straight left that way if done right, so good post.

Thanks! I agree, Floyd's probably going to take his best few weapons away early, unless he's really missed a step. But maybe the curse of Canelo is more powerful than we realized! DUN DUN DUN

(but nah...lol)
Good point Bogo as always. I still think the southpaw left to the body will work dividends on an aging Mayweather and will leave openings to the head later but Mayweather's conditioning has yet to fail him.
RJJFan is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 01:17 PM   #33
bronx
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1124

Jab, Jab, Jab!

get in his chest and make it rough, move your head don't get caught coming in with anything stupid.

Go to the body early and Jab, Jab, Jab......Left cross....repeat

get in his chest and rough him up above all else.
bronx is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #34
Xerant
Gotta Hate negociations!
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

A mix of head butts, low blows, step on foot, Counter low blows. Hold the kisses
Xerant is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #35
Sunchild78
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Guerrero is going to really have to mix things up in there to pull and upset. Just throwing a lot of punches is not going to get it done. We've seen countless fighters before do the same and none was successful. I really don't see him pulling it off, no matter what he does, unless he get lucky and catch Floyd with something big.
Sunchild78 is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #36
markq
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

GRAPPLE like he's in the UFC. No advice needed. That was his game plan against Berto. That will be his game plan for Mayweather.
markq is online now  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 02:34 PM   #37
Slickstar
Crisp This
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJFan View Post
Good point Bogo as always. I still think the southpaw left to the body will work dividends on an aging Mayweather and will leave openings to the head later but Mayweather's conditioning has yet to fail him.
Will that punch be available to Guerrero if Mayweather is walking him down?
Slickstar is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #38
RJJFan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickstar View Post
Will that punch be available to Guerrero if Mayweather is walking him down?
If RG can keep Mayweather on his left.
RJJFan is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #39
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJJFan View Post
If RG can keep Mayweather on his left.
And make him reach.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Floyd's right foot steps forward every time he throws in that clip. He's lucky he hasn't been made to pay for it yet with an offensive just as he's swinging forward.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #40
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

The one thing I liked about how Cotto fought Mayweather is he never let ANYTHING discourage him and he just kept coming. However he wasn't reckless with it.

Guerrero has to fight like he is starving and this is his one shot, if he can fight the fight of his life who knows maybe Mayweathers' age shows or he has an off night?
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #41
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
JMM was a 9-1 dog for pac vs jmm III and look what happen?

Robert is an underated fighter and is only now considered as a bum when he is signed to fight Floyd bc Floyd haters love to bash everyone of Floyd's opponent trying to discredit. What else is new?

Robert is a better fighter than Angulo, Kirkland and trout as some has suggested. Would Rob win? probably not but it doesn't mean that he sucks.
mayweather only has a few fights left in him, and to waste it on a guy that was fighting for the lightweight title last year, who resume now reads 2-0 as a welterweight , over one guy with not significant win on his record , and the other guy Berto, giving him his 2nd loss in 3 fights. yippie.
robert is a good fighter at 135....he is unproven at 147 and trout would giving him a boxing lesson by the way
iceman71 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 04:01 AM   #42
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman71 View Post
mayweather only has a few fights left in him, and to waste it on a guy that was fighting for the lightweight title last year, who resume now reads 2-0 as a welterweight , over one guy with not significant win on his record , and the other guy Berto, giving him his 2nd loss in 3 fights. yippie.
robert is a good fighter at 135....he is unproven at 147 and trout would giving him a boxing lesson by the way
I think the Berto performance showed he can hang at welter. It's not just who he beat, but how he did it; being very physically dominant.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #43
tliang1000
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 115412

Quote:
Fighting Trout would be considered wasted. Trout doesn't have a following.

Robert has been boiling down to make 135 for years and showed up on the night of the fight at 153lbs. THe move to WW would a norm/relieve for him and made him stronger without having to weight drain. He obviously prove that he can hang with the WWs. Alydin and Berto were both very strong WWs and Robert was able to take his Alydin's shots and outmuscle Berto. So to say that Floyd have a strength advantage? I doubt that.

With the boxing pedigree that Robert have. I would not say he would get a boxing lesson from Trout.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 05:09 AM   #44
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

Quote:
Guerrero isn't as unproven as you think at Welter. Berto was still considered a top Welter when Guerrero beat him. The Welterweight division at the minute is virtually unproven, it's not as deep as it looks, and hasn't been for years. The only reason it has been kept in the spotlight as one of the best divisions in the sport is because of Mayweather and Pacquiao, outside of that, it has been full of prospects or unprovens who have yet to step up since Cotto, Mosley, Margarito, Williams, etc all left 147lbs.

Opponents for Mayweather at 147lbs are very thin.

Marquez - already beaten him via shut out, rematch probably can catch the public eye since Marquez's KO of Pacquiao, but most likely the same result. Mayweather would be criticised for this.

Pacquiao - 2 defeats in a row (even though he beat Bradley, I thought he lost to Marquez the third time anyway), 1 via devastating KO. Hasn't happened for years, unlikely to happen now. Mayweather would massively be criticised for this bout.

Bradley - A bout that I would like to see, Top Rank and GBP though, ruining good matchups as usual. Bradley will probably face Pacquiao again next if Arum has his way.

Who else at 147lbs? Malignaggi? Brook? Alexander? Can't think of many more.

The division is thin, and you can't expect him to keep fighting at 154lbs just to please the fans. Twice he has fought at 154lbs, twice he hasn't looked his best. He's a small Welter, and an even smaller Light Middle. He can't be criticised if he doesn't box at that weight again.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #45
Hotsauce
Belt holder
ESB Addict

guerrero isn't unproven
Hotsauce is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum