Old 12-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #151
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mayweather vs Guerrero: Deal is Close to being Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip&counter View Post
No, PK. Guerrero is the better all round fighter and deserves the shot MUCH more. Rios is a little killer against the right style for him and a similar level fighter to himself, but against the elite skilled fighters he would be in over his head. They need to keep putting him in with certain types of opponents to keep giving us fun fights.

He has serious problems with east, west movement. Put a jab in his face with good lateral movement and he looks like he's seen an alien. The first time i realised Rios would have serious problems with movement was when he fought a journeyman, basically a club fighter by the name Omri Lowther, man i couldn't believe how confused Rios looked in the first couple of rounds against such a limited, overmatched opponent, all because of a little west, east movement. Fast forward a few years and he clearly loses to a replacement, hand picked opponent in Richard April in one of the worst robberies of the year.

For whats out there right now. Mayweather/Guerrero is not THAT bad a fight.
I know that Guerrero is better man, i just wanted people to response stating why, to kind of drum my point home. I have watch Rios fight before, and switched off the fight after afew rounds.

I watched his fight against April who is a ok fighter technically..? but is a weak individual.

I have seen nobody criticise Manny Pac for facing Brandon Rios, i am not saying they should..? But its just interesting.

Floyd Mayweather is in a lose/lose situation, no matter who he fights.

Guerrero would probably beat Pacman, joining the list of multiple fighters who i think would beat him down these days.

If Floyd Mayweather fought Bradley he would also be criticised.

Why hasn't nobody called for Manny Pac to fight Alvarez or Martinez..?
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #152
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavetheSlave View Post
Alvarez and Martinez are to Mayweather now what Cotto and Margarito were circa 2007.
I've gotta respectfully disagree with you on that one, Dave. I don’t believe you can duck a man that’s not in your division, i know Floyd's fought at 154, but against career welterweights and he's clearly not the same up there. it's not his divison. Saying Floyd is 'ducking' Martinez is like saying Marvin Hagler ducked Michael Spinks. Martinez is a damn middlweight who walks around at close to 180lbs. I don't think he could ever make light middlweight again without seriously hindering himself. I don't think he's been able to make it for a couple of years, because of the muscle mass he's put on since the Pavlik fight.

It'd be cool of Floyd fought Alvarez, but i don't think we could classify that as a duck either, if he didn't fight him.
slip&counter is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 07:55 PM   #153
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
I know that Guerrero is better man, i just wanted people to response stating why, to kind of drum my point home. I have watch Rios fight before, and switched off the fight after afew rounds.

I watched his fight against April who is a ok fighter technically..? but is a weak individual.

I have seen nobody criticise Manny Pac for facing Brandon Rios, i am not saying they should..? But its just interesting.

Floyd Mayweather is in a lose/lose situation, no matter who he fights.

Guerrero would probably beat Pacman, joining the list of multiple fighters who i think would beat him down these days.

If Floyd Mayweather fought Bradley he would also be criticised.

Why hasn't nobody called for Manny Pac to fight Alvarez or Martinez..?
What makes you so sure Manny is fighting Rios, my man? Damn it, PK. Do you know something i don't and are hanging out on me? lol

I don't really know if Pacquiao will fight again, if he does i think it'll be another Marquez fight.

IMHO. Nobody should be calling for either Floyd or Manny to fight Martinez or even to a lesser extent Alvarez. How could anybody demand that, especially a Martinez fight.

People stopped calling for it a while ago, but there WAS a time when people suggested Manny fight Martinez, i don't think many people are calling for either to fight Martinez now though. People have realised it's just not that viable.

The reason Floyd is in a lose/lose situation is partly to do with himself and his past actions. He failed to make the biggest win/win fight in his career, he's also such a brillient fighter that people just wanna see him in some competitive fights. Like i said i don't think we can criticise him if he fights Guerrero, because there's not much out there and Guerrero will come to rumble.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #154
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
What makes you so sure Manny is fighting Rios, my man? Damn it, PK. Do you know something i don't and are hanging out on me? lol

I don't really know if Pacquiao will fight again, if he does i think it'll be another Marquez fight.

IMHO. Nobody should be calling for either Floyd or Manny to fight Martinez or even to a lesser extent Alvarez. How could anybody demand that, especially a Martinez fight.

People stopped calling for it a while ago, but there WAS a time when people suggested Manny fight Martinez, i don't think many people are calling for either to fight Martinez now though. People have realised it's just not that viable.

The reason Floyd is in a lose/lose situation is partly to do with himself and his past actions. He failed to make the biggest win/win fight in his career, he's also such a brillient fighter that people just wanna see him in some competitive fights. Like i said i don't think we can criticise him if he fights Guerrero, because there's not much out there and Guerrero will come to rumble.
Read a article that Manny Pac ill be fighting Brandon Rios on May 4th.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 12-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #155
DavetheSlave

vCash: 500

Quote:
I've gotta respectfully disagree with you on that one, Dave. I donít believe you can duck a man thatís not in your division, i know Floyd's fought at 154, but against career welterweights and he's clearly not the same up there. it's not his divison. Saying Floyd is 'ducking' Martinez is like saying Marvin Hagler ducked Michael Spinks. Martinez is a damn middlweight who walks around at close to 180lbs. I don't think he could ever make light middlweight again without seriously hindering himself. I don't think he's been able to make it for a couple of years, because of the muscle mass he's put on since the Pavlik fight.

It'd be cool of Floyd fought Alvarez, but i don't think we could classify that as a duck either, if he didn't fight him.
Dont agree that Martinez walks around anything close to 180.

Regardless of Martinez, Mayweather has twice foguth at 154 and in his last fight looked much bigger and more comfortable at the weight than we have ever seen.

He has fought at 147 for a whopping 7 years now and at this stage the refusal to step up for the big tests smacks of his usual avoidance tactics.
DavetheSlave is offline  Top
Old 12-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #156
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavetheSlave View Post
Dont agree that Martinez walks around anything close to 180.

Regardless of Martinez, Mayweather has twice foguth at 154 and in his last fight looked much bigger and more comfortable at the weight than we have ever seen.

He has fought at 147 for a whopping 7 years now and at this stage the refusal to step up for the big tests smacks of his usual avoidance tactics.
I think i was maybe even being conservative with my estimate. Martinez might walk around close to 185lbs or higher. Martinez weighs 176 pounds 30 days out from some of his fights. That should tell you that he is an athletic 180lbs plus man. Sergio Martinez is two divisions up from where Floyd is now. Martinez is so big and strong he was seriously considering fighting Lucian Bute at 168lbs.

Like i said, I don’t remember anybody ever stating that Marvin Hagler needed to challenge himself and fight Michael Spinks. Or Ray Robinson had to fight Ezzard Charles. I'm not suggesting Floyd can’t win. hey, if he took the challenge then i'm all for it. But no fighter should be held to a standard where they are forced to fight a fighter two divisions higher especially when they have already moved up so many divisions.

It doesn't matter how long Floyd's been at welterweight, that's irrelevent. Martinez is just too big. We don't know how 'comfortable' he was at the weight, because he was fighting a career welterweight in Cotto, who we've seen has no business up there himself.

I'm Floyd's biggest critic when it comes to the fighters he's chosen to sidestep, but to say he's avoiding the middleweight champion of the world, when he was at his best at 130lbs is not being fair on him.

Last edited by slip&counter; 12-28-2012 at 11:38 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #157
powers
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Martinez is overated.
powers is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #158
DavetheSlave

Quote:
Originally Posted by powers View Post
Martinez is overated.
Amazing insight.
DavetheSlave is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 09:56 AM   #159
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
He's hardly ever taken any fights that he didn't know beforehand that he was going to win.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but that's the truth of the matter.

He's never really put himself in the firing line - he's never given the fans the fights that they wanted.

The fans wanted Margarito, Cotto, Pacquiao.... he stuttered like a cold turkey alcoholic when asked if he'd fight Margarito, he retired to avoid Cotto and made up excuses galore to avoid Pacquiao.

All in their primes.

Not saying this era could have been as good as the 80's by a long shot, but where was his ''Leonard/Hearns'' or ''Hagler/Hearns'', where?

Barrera, Morales, Marquez & Pac all fought each other (JMM & Erik aside) - multiple times, there's three or four of those fights that would be right up there in any historian's list of great fights.

The best fight Floyd has ever been involved in.... probably the pair against Castillo, or Hatton perhaps. Nowhere near THAT kinda level in terms of quality or intrigue.
Agreed. Doesn't bode well for his legacy.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #160
outthebox
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I agree with the general sentiment of floyd cherrypicking but it doesn't equal ducking or being scared.

Bar Pac, Floyd's pretty much taken every fight that could make him $. This is the reason he always fights on mexican holidays and tries to fight hispanics, so he can appeal to mass market. He fought a prime, undefeated Hatton, a p4p number 3 (after a long lay off in Marquez, the lineal rejuvenated LMW champ in Cotto.

There are bigger tests he could have taken but whether you like it or not (i don't), it's about risk/reward.

Guerrero provides a decent payday at no risk. Bradley provides no payday at no risk...and so on.
outthebox is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 12:26 PM   #161
slip&counter
Gimme some X's and O's
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by powers View Post
Martinez is overated.
What makes you say that, mate? If you're ganna make such a claim then at least put some clothes on your argument.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum