Velasquez 18 22.22%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #136
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553
Default Re: JDS v Velasquez II

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msjOpfqK2u0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msjOpfqK2u0[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPPPuJn0gvc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPPPuJn0gvc[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOZV3Y-tYmY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOZV3Y-tYmY[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDTKKMiWg3o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDTKKMiWg3o[/ame]
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #137
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Well, I don't know that it had anything to do with doomsday. Nobody in their right mind was paying any genuine attention to that.

Christmas and New Years, well, time for celebration and whatnot. You should be hyping up your HW title fight. Get together with family and friends, and watch a night of fights. I feel they have done this in the past.

I feel, the last card of the year should be a real blockbuster, and they just didn't do that this year. Big fans of the sport are looking forward to it, but really, it is void of marquee names, and any real promotion that I am aware of. Then again, I do try to separate myself from the business, promotion, and marketing side of the sport, because I feel it's really not worth focusing on. My job as a fight fan is to be excited to watch and talk about the actual fights, not the numbers and financial well being, or whatever, of the company. It actually annoys the shit out of me when numbers/organizations are discussed more than the actual fights.

Sorry for rambling.
Good points, can't really disagree with what has been said, but I don't see any other promotion doing shows at the end of the year. These cards sell themselves, and I believe these end of the year events will get bigger and bigger. This time last year it was Lesnar v Overeem, which delivered.

Do you have a final prediction, Rob?? I searched, but couldn't find one.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #138
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

Quote:
UFC 155: Predictions
rossc | Dec 28, 2012

Read on for our full predictions for this weekend’s UFC 155: Dos Santos Vs Velasquez event in Las Vegas.

Main Card:

Junior dos Santos vs. Cain Velasquez

I still think this heavyweight title fight is a finely balanced one despite the outcome of their first encounter. Velasquez never had a chance to get going on that occasion, but if he can start working his wrestling and relentless ground and pound he’ll give JDS everything he can handle.

Dos Santos clearly has the psychological edge though after KO’ing Velasquez last time out and should have the edge again if he can keep this fight standing. That’s not to say Velasquez can’t compete in that regard, but if it becomes a battle of the chins I think the Brazilian’s wins out.

If it goes to the later rounds I see Velasquez cardio being an advantage and could help him to grind out a decision win, but instead I’m picking Dos Santos to use his takedown defense and boxing skills early in the fight and then stop Velasquez in the third.

Junior Dos Santos to win by TKO in Rd3.

Joe Lauzon vs. Jim Miller

Considering Miller was brought in as a late replacement this is still a very well-matched fight and it’ll be intriguing to see who comes out on top between these two crafty lightweight competitors.

For my money Lauzon is the more creative player on the ground and can hold his own on the feet, but overall I feel Miller brings a little more to the table as he should be able to cancel out his opponent’s BJJ and is the stronger wrestler.

While Lauzon usually starts strongly I think Miller can match that pace and then continue it onwards for the full three rounds which will allow him to grab a competitive decision victory.

Jim Miller to win by decision.

Tim Boetsch vs. Costa Philippou

This is an interesting middleweight encounter between two men who’ve been consistently racking up wins recently, but haven’t yet managed to wow the UFC and the fans enough to get into the title reckoning at 185lbs so they’ll want to put on a show tomorrow night.

Both of these fighters can mix it up a little, but ideally Philippou would like to keep it standing where he can utilize his boxing skills and will be a little lighter on his feet, while Boetsch will be looking to make it an uglier fight, getting in close for clinch work, takedowns and ground and pound.

In the end I see Boetsch having the strength and durability to make his gameplan work and result in his hand being raised at the end of the fight, but probably not doing much to enhance his chances of getting a fight for the belt.

Tim Boetsch to win by decision.

Yushin Okami vs. Alan Belcher

If Belcher can keep this one standing then he has the ability to trouble Okami with a diverse mix of punches and kicks, turning this into the kind of battle that he can win.

Okami is likely to have other plans though. He should be bigger and stronger than Belcher and will look to use that to his advantage through his wrestling advantage.

The Japanese fighter’s ground game is notoriously efficient, though often lacking in action, which will give Belcher little room to manufacture a submission attempt or escape, and therefore I think it could end up being a frustrating night for Belcher.

Yushin Okami to win by decision.

Chris Leben vs. Derek Brunson

Returning after a suspension and apparently ‘clean’ after battling with his demons behind the scenes, Leben returns and should be his usual hard-headed, hard hitting self.

In Brunson he meets a wrestler who’s been plying his trade in Strikeforce recently with mixed results. He’s got decent power, but going toe-to-toe with Leben would be foolish so expect him to go for the takedown.

For all his brawling mentality Leben is actually good off his back though and I like him to keep this one off the mat long enough to rock Brunson on the feet and then finish off the job to end the year on a positive note.

Chris Leben to win by KO in Rd1.

Prelims: (Predicted winners in bold)

Brad Pickett vs. Eddie Wineland
Erik Perez vs. Byron Bloodworth
Melvin Guillard vs. Jamie Varner
Michael Johnson vs. Myles Jury
Phil De Fries vs. Todd Duffee
Chris Cariaso vs. John Moraga
Max Holloway vs. Leonard Garcia

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Quote:
Old 12-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #139
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

Quote:
Expertsí Predictions for UFC 155

Junior dos Santos and Cain Velasquez pose during their weigh-in before their title showdown at UFC 155. Jake Roth/ US Presswire

Junior dos Santos vs. Cain Velasquez

WAGENHEIM: Can Junior make quick work of Cain, as he did last time? He certainly can. He has the power, the speed and, most important, the confidence. But Iím envisioning something different from Velasquez this time. I think heíll fight smarter while the tussle is standing, and heíll use his explosiveness to test Dos Santosí takedown defense. The bout will go to the ground at some point, as I see it, and Juniorís jiu-jitsu will wither in the face of Cainís ground-and-pound ferocity. Velasquez by TKO.

HUNT: A rematch Iím really looking forward to, seeing as both were hurt in their first meeting. I think Velasquez will take the champ down, but wonít be able to keep him there long enough to get the job done. Dos Santos by TKO.

DOYLE: Can Velasquez take dos Santos down and keep him there? Sounds simple, but sometimes thereís no need to take it any deeper. This fight will go longer than the first, but will have a similar finish. Dos Santos by TKO.

Joe Lauzon vs. Jim Miller

WAGENHEIM:
This is an easy one: My prediction is that one or both men will go home with pockets stuffed with extra cash. Iím talking bonuses. Lauzon wins Fight of the Night or Submission of the Night practically every time he steps into the cage, and Miller is all action, no nonsense. This is an excellent matchup that will be decided, I believe, by the rougher road Miller has taken to get here. This is just another in a long line of tests for him, and I think heíll work his way to a passing gradeÖ with honors. Miller by decision.

HUNT: The wrestler in Miller wonít be able to help himself taking this one to the ground, where Lauzon will get his chance to shine. Lauzon by submission.

DOYLE: A lot riding on this fight for both lightweights. The veteran Miller is looking to shake off a bad loss to Nate Diaz. For Lauzon, this is make-or-break for his championship aspirations. Iíll go with ďmake.Ē Lauzon by submission.

Tim Boetsch vs. Costa Philippou

WAGENHEIM:
Stepping in for his injured training partner, Chris Weidman, might be the right opportunity for Philippou. Or maybe heís biting off more than he can chew. Boetsch has been lurking in the shadows of the top contenders in the middleweight division for a while, and heís out to put on a performance that gets him noticed. Boetsch by decision.

HUNT: Philippou seems just a little less experienced with top-shelf opposition to handle Boetschís trickier stand-up. Boetsch by TKO.

DOYLE: Both guys are capable of exciting fights, both are capable of snoozefests. Which version of either fighter will show up? Bottom line, this is a huge step in competition for Phillipou. Boetsch by decision.

Yushin Okami vs. Alan Belcher

WAGENHEIM:
For this rematch of both menís UFC debuts (won by Okami), Belcher has something bigger than vengeance in his sights. He wants what Okami already has had: a shot at the 185-pound belt. Although Belcher is not at the head of the line at this point, beating Okami would push him forward. Belcher by submission.

HUNT: It pains me to say it, but Iím starting to think Okamiís ship has sailed. Heís been a solid addition to the UFC roster; he is one of the few Japanese fighters to make an impact here, which should be noted. However, Belcher has youth, speed, and, dare I say, power on his side for this one. Belcher by decision.

DOYLE: Conventional wisdom says Belcher should keep this standing and avoid Okamiís wrestling. Conventional wisdom said something similar about Belcherís May fight with submission artist Rousimar Palhares, and Belcher won that won on the ground. Belcher by decision.

Chris Leben vs. Derek Brunson

WAGENHEIM: There are two predictions to be made here. For one, which man will win this fight, but also which Chris Leben will show up to fight it. The ups and downs of ďThe CripplerĒ are well documented, and heís still part of the UFC picture because he seems to always rise up when weíre ready to write him off. Leben by TKO.

HUNT:
Brunson, a last-minute import from the disassembling Strikeforce promotion, is coming off two losses (one of them to the very talented Jacare Souza), but I think he has enough control not to get into a messy shootout with Leben, whoís choppy striking is pretty predictable. Brunson by decision.

DOYLE:
Lebenís best bet is for the knockout; Brunsonís is to take Leben down and smother him. Lebenís a well-liked, returning veteran, but sentiment doesnít get you far in this sport. Brunson by decision.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 PM   #140
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Cain matched Junior's staredown pose

Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #141
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_Floyd View Post
Cain matched Junior's staredown pose

Daniel Cormier thinks this is significant. I really don't know what will happen tomorrow night, but JDS is so good on his feet and hits so hard...

I believe Velasquez needs to drag him down immediately ftw.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #142
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

Quote:

"It is great motivation," said Velasquez, of seeing what Marquez did. "I want to step up and deliver a great performance just like he did."
Old 12-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #143
Shrewd Operator
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Anyone placing big on this one? I might go big on Junior Dos Santos! I mean $1000 big!
Shrewd Operator is offline  Top
Old 12-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #144
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewd Operator View Post
Anyone placing big on this one? I might go big on Junior Dos Santos! I mean $1000 big!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TYv2PhG89A[/ame]
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 03:14 AM   #145
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDigi5060 View Post

Do you have a final prediction, Rob?? I searched, but couldn't find one.
Well, unless Cain has improved his defence exponentially, I just can't see him surviving 5 rounds against JDS without getting knocked out again, and I can't see him putting JDS away unless it's by cuts.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 04:46 AM   #146
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nipple View Post
Hopefully Cain wins it. Hopefully.

Junior strikes me as being a bit too arrogant for his own good. Definitely needs humbling. And it wouldn't hurt to see his ground game as well.
What? JDS arrogant and not humble?
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #147
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ0zRgrzwgc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ0zRgrzwgc[/ame][ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FFpvXX7x9M"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FFpvXX7x9M[/ame]

Quote:
JDS
196osh, achillesthegreat, AlbertaFightFan, andy768, bachatu, banny, benebox, Big N Bad, Bill Butcher, blagovech, bman, BobDigi5060, Boyd, caballo, CameronC, daveyboy1609, DavidChao, davidwatts, dazzab87, Delroc, dillinja, dpw417, evalistinho, Francis75, globeman, greathamza, Hagler'sFist, HawkFan16, HeGlassedMe, herwil10, iceferg, Joe.Boxer, kato2352, kelics, KERRIGAN, Koa, larsker, Lefthooktommy, luuk166, MaliSlamusrex, Mamerto, Manila, manolows, On The Money, Popkins, Primate, rakan, Rhaegar, Shrewd Operator, SouthpawSlayer, Sox, Superkalleb, TheHogan, TheRat, thewinfella, Totus, Vic-JofreBRASIL, Will Munny, Wu-Gambino, xtal191, Young Thump, Zombieguy
80.77%

Velasquez
BALDOYLE BOXING, Bigg Panch, demzor, EL BULLY, hodge, Kaz_187, kel, kokoko, macp1, PUMPERG, RJJ's Jab, rusty nails, slugger3000, sugarngold, TheDictator
19.23%
Old 12-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #148
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

Thanks for playing esb, one to remember. A rivalry is born.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #149
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

****s sake Bob give the two/three posts in a row malarky a rest

Stoo is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #150
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

For you? Maybe, just maybe.

Sorry for being all kinds of wet, but a rivalry is born.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum