Old 12-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #61
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2648
Default Re: Overem vs. Dos Santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchburg View Post

Can you change the thread title please as I thought this was about JDS Vs The Reem

Come on man... what a crazy statement!

How many guys have 30 fights? Morethan half of the guys at the top level have less than 20 fights let alone 30!

In boxing you would be right but not MMA.

Lynchburg
I think you need to have atleast 30 fights over all untill your not a novice. In MMA most top guys who have not had many fights are black belts in bjj or have had loads of wrestling or kick-boxing expierience so it's all relative imo.
iceferg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #62
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

****ing novice chums squaring off like ****ing kids in a playground!

B.J Penn = 27 fight novice.
Georges St-Pierre = 25 fight novice.
Josh Koscheck = 23 fight novice.
Diego Sanchez = 28 fight nivice.
Robbie Lawler = 29 fight novice.
Renzo Gracie = 22 fight novice.
Tito Ortiz = 28 fight novice.
Enson Inoue = 20 fight novice.
Travis Lutter = 16 fight novice.
Oleg Taktarov = 24 fight novice.
Forrest Griffin = 26 fight novice.
Chuck Liddell = 29 fight novice.
Marco Ruas = 15 fight novice.
Tank Abbott = 24 fight novice.

If only most of these guys didn't retire novices imagine the fights we could have seen! Bloody novices

Lynchburg
Don't know all these guys but pretty sure bjp penn did bjj and won a tournament before going into mma, obviously gracie was in it his whole life and people like GSP and Koshcheck have a lot of wrestling xp. I'm obviously not talking about pro fighters, and those are pro records lol, in boxing most top boxers are no longer novices by the time they turn over. I first steped in a kick boxing gym at 12, quit for a year after a few months training, started boxing quit for a year after three months training, and then on and on until I got to 18 and started MMA (but concentrated mostly on my boxing) and had an unlicensed boxing fight after 10 month training in that, then went amateur and I've come on a lot but still a raw novice.

I've had an argument with a friend of mine about this, who disrespects the sport of boxing, now he has had 6 fights won them all in k1 and mma and seems to think he's not a novice, even though he gets his boxed off by novice boxers in sparring and I've seen his kick technique when these karate guys came to the college, they didn't even notice he had done kick training before but could tell me and another lad have, oh and he says stand-up is his strong point yet that's the level he's at but he's not a novice apparently.

He also comes out with bull shit like, Anderson Silva and JDS would be able to beat any boxer at boxing after 3 month training, then after a massive argument he would only concede that it would take JDS a year and a half to beat any boxer. He also went mad when I said that I think Wlad could have a chance at beating top MMA guys after 3-4 years training if he was younger. He's the nicest lad you could meet when your not talking about MMA and boxing but some of that was starting to piss me right off lol
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #63
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beouche View Post
so you start off your very first fight as a pro?
Just read this lol, thanks for backing me up . IMO someone who is a master of one art who then goes into MMA isn't a novice, since MMA is a sport comprised of many other sports, if you have spent years years training in that sport you have still basically spent years training in MMA.

If Wladimir began competing in MMA he wouldn't be a novice as far as I'm concerned, he may have weaknesses but with his incredible boxing ability and strength and conditioning, there is no way someone who has been training for a year or two beat him, same goes for bjj people who take up MMA.
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 09:59 AM   #64
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceferg View Post
Fair enough I know what you mean, you get plenty of unboxed twats critisizeing Pacquiao and Khan's techniques and taking a dig at Roaches training methods as well as many other great boxers despite the fact they've never been in a gym in there lives, that anoys me and I'm about 6'2 or 6'3 that guy in the photo with me is Olympic Erislandy Sa\von he's about 6'5. There's an ancient photo of me and Mike Tyson on my profile if you want to give you a better perspective of me next to someone you will have heard of.

Edit just read your lost comment, good luck with your next fight.
Thank you
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #65
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Yes im based in Liverpool mate, im fighting in March, got some down time with work so back into fight camp Jan 3rd.
What fight card you on buddy?

I'm back in action in February (BJJ and Sub Wrestling).

My knee is feeling pretty strong and I've been uping the weight training too so i'm hoping to do well.

It'll be at my lightest weight yet so this time I hope I have no problems with that like I did last time

Quote:
I think you need to have atleast 30 fights over all untill your not a novice. In MMA most top guys who have not had many fights are black belts in bjj or have had loads of wrestling or kick-boxing expierience so it's all relative imo.
Okay.

That makes more sense... sort of.

The guys with Boxing/Kick boxing experience are more suited for the direct swap IMO as they are used to getting hit. When compete in BJJ and Sub wresting you get used to positions that are not suited at all for MMA.

A few weeks back I trained with some pro fighters from my gym... I turned up thinking it was a sub wrestling class but the coach was sick so it was changed to a grappling for MMA class

I got punched in the face about 30 times before the natural habbit of guard play from top become not such a good idea

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 10:38 AM   #66
thewinfella
The Golden Boy
East Side Guru

Quote:
What fight card you on buddy?

I'm back in action in February (BJJ and Sub Wrestling).

My knee is feeling pretty strong and I've been uping the weight training too so i'm hoping to do well.

It'll be at my lightest weight yet so this time I hope I have no problems with that like I did last time

Okay.

That makes more sense... sort of.

The guys with Boxing/Kick boxing experience are more suited for the direct swap IMO as they are used to getting hit. When compete in BJJ and Sub wresting you get used to positions that are not suited at all for MMA.

A few weeks back I trained with some pro fighters from my gym... I turned up thinking it was a sub wrestling class but the coach was sick so it was changed to a grappling for MMA class

I got punched in the face about 30 times before the natural habbit of guard play from top become not such a good idea

Lynchburg
Hi Lynch,

Theres a few available options mate, im favouring AFC as its in Liverpool, theres interest by both parties so my name is listed, i wont be matched until late Jan early Feb anyway so its back in the gym, get the foundations in and shake of Xmas then look at the options in more depth.

But i prefer fighting at home
thewinfella is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #67
Lynchburg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewinfella View Post
Hi Lynch,

Theres a few available options mate, im favouring AFC as its in Liverpool, theres interest by both parties so my name is listed, i wont be matched until late Jan early Feb anyway so its back in the gym, get the foundations in and shake of Xmas then look at the options in more depth.

But i prefer fighting at home
Well best of luck mate

I might look at having another MMA fight in the summer.

The British open is in May though so I don't want to do anything before that and I might be going to train with Rico Vieira in Rio in November so I don't want to do anything to risk that either.

We'll see though.

Well let us know anyway and if I can come I will It's a bit of a trek but my Nan was from Liverpool so I wouldn't mind a trip there!

Lynchburg
Lynchburg is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 11:03 AM   #68
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: JDS vs. The Reem

So have people's thoughts on this one now changed?
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #69
dillinja

vCash:

Quote:
No i said earlier in the thread JDS hadn't proved himself in adversity and now he has got to have a few question marks over his name.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #70
macp1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Ive picked The Reem since last year when he was first scheduled to become UFC Champion. Why would it have changed now?

btw, I asked the same question in the JDS/Cain thread lol
macp1 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #71
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillinja View Post
No i said earlier in the thread JDS hadn't proved himself in adversity and now he has got to have a few question marks over his name.
He hasn't he just got steamrolled by a possessed mother****er out for revenge.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #72
Rob_Floyd
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 847

I don't know about JDS/Overeem, but I don't think Overeem stands much of a chance against Cain unless he catches him early. He would be dead tired by the end of round one, and would probably be TKO'd in round two.

He has a better chance against JDS, though I'm not sure I would favor him.
Rob_Floyd is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #73
dillinja

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter__1987 View Post
He hasn't he just got steamrolled by a possessed mother****er out for revenge.
He hasn't fought overeem or cormier yet, so to me the jury is still out to some degree, he is obviously a top fighter but he was getting overrated.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #74
Delroc
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1233

Dos Santos still kills Reem. Overeem doesn't bring the takedown threat of Cain so Cigano would feel way more free to let his hand go. Plus Dos Santos has an iron chin.

oh **** everybody calling Dos Santos overrated. Hes gonna come back big time, fighters like him don't stay away from title contention. He still has a definitive KO win over Cain and you know what? I'm picking him to do it again in the rubber match. Dos Santos had just never experienced some shit like that, relentless takedown pressure that he will only learn from. I see Dos Santos being more comfortable throwing punches in a rubber match since he knows how Cain shoots now. I picked Cigano to KO Cain in the first fight when nobody would listen, and ill pick it again in the 3rd fight with the same criticism.

War Cigano
Delroc is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #75
Peter__1987

vCash:

JDS has a ****ing iron chin for sure but Overeem has ridiculously striking ability, someone would get KTFO for sure.

My money would be on The Reem.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum