Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 12-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
Grillinnap
Flomos are morons
ESB Addict

vCash: 18446744073709551554
Default What aspect(s) should JDS most improve on?

I think his wrestling is pretty decent and he also has a good defense against take downs so I don't think he needs to worry there. He should get into kickboxing. His leg strikes are piss-poor (or non-existent, at least in the rematch against Cain). When your opponent only worries about your hands, you're in trouble especially against a multi-dimensional fighter like Cain.
Grillinnap is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default Re: What aspect(s) should JDS most improve on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
I think his wrestling his pretty decent and he also has a good defense against take downs so I don't think he needs to worry there. He should get into kickboxing. His leg strikes are piss-poor (or non-existent, at least in the rematch against Cain). When your opponent only worries about your hands, you're in trouble especially against a multi-dimensional fighter like Cain.
Cain is the wrong guy to throw lots of leg kicks at and therefore give him lots of chances to catch one and dump you on your back.

Bigfoot went for a leg kick about 5 seconds into the fight. Half a second later he was on his back with Cain on top of him, and the fight was over right there.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 AM   #3
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

It worked well till now. Junior has always scrambled well when taken down, maintained the distance he likes to throw his shots at and kept his back off the cage.

All was going to plan until Cain hit him. Cain moved his head better than in the first fight and was relentless in his takedown attempts, he made the adjustments needed

Now it's Juniors turn, he will respect Cain's hands a bit more and maybe keep his hands up in the rubber match
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #4
caleb_forrest_g
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

he needs to keep his hands up, and not go straight backward into the fence. move around
caleb_forrest_g is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #5
Muchmoore

vCash:

He's thrown kicks before but yeah like Haggis said it's not worth it against Cain because of the risk of giving up a takedown. Kicks are more tiring than punches too and throwing kicks while tired isn't probably smart. If anything I think Cigano got too confident in his boxing and it's more what Cain did right not when Cigano did wrong.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
Gander Tasco
Champion
East Side Guru

everything. but if hes gonna keep relying on boxing he should at least learn not to back straight up and leave his hands down.
Gander Tasco is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
gyll
Undetectable
ESB Addict

Hmm. I thought his stamina was his biggest issue. He seemed gassed halfway through rd 1. That's not something you can improve easily. He also appears to be mentally weak once he faced adversity. I don't see him ever beating Cain. But I hope JDS surprises me and proves me wrong as I'd love for him to win the title back. The loss was crushing. Wasn't even competitive.
gyll is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
iceferg
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2648

He landed a belter of a kick on Shane Cairwin.
iceferg is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
MaliSlamusrex
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Game plan. When it was obvious that Cain was going to use wrestling he should have made sure he didn't go to the ground.
MaliSlamusrex is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliSlamusrex View Post
Game plan. When it was obvious that Cain was going to use wrestling he should have made sure he didn't go to the ground.
He did, it was getting caught on the feet in the first by a punch that was the main problem, not his TDD. Even when he looked done he scrambled well and got back up...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #11
MaliSlamusrex
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ok lets put it another way. He needed to stop the take downs. Cain went for it take downs and JDS didn't have an answer. 1st fight JDS imposed his will, 2nd Cain imposed his will. BUT like cain got caught in the first fight and got Ko'd JDS' knock down in the first round pretty much ended the fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
He did, it was getting caught on the feet in the first by a punch that was the main problem, not his TDD. Even when he looked done he scrambled well and got back up...
Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #12
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaliSlamusrex View Post
Ok lets put it another way. He needed to stop the take downs. Cain went for it take downs and JDS didn't have an answer. 1st fight JDS imposed his will, 2nd Cain imposed his will. BUT like cain got caught in the first fight and got Ko'd JDS' knock down in the first round pretty much ended the fight.
He stopped half a dozen takedowns before Cain landed that straight right in the first round. And he was on his feet for most of the fight - even when he was punch drunk, Cain would take him down and he would repeatedly stagger back to his feet. He was just too beat up to make his body do anything to threaten Cain once he got there.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I see your point, but considering he's a BJJ/Boxer his TDD is as good as it's going to get in relation to a guy who's been wrestling most his life like Cain or Cormier

He took a beating, but he proved he's at least no turtle on his back. We still really havent seen too much of his guard game though, mainly because he puts so much effort into scrambling. That accounts for the lack of gas aswell in this one, aswell as THAT punch He was drained but fighting back, just didnt have the power. Him actually pushing Cain against the fence was telling
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #14
MaliSlamusrex
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The problem was the 1st and 2nd round. If JDS could have stayed on his feet for the 2nd round he wouldn't be exhausted and he'd have a chance. Thew big punch on the first and lying on his back first in the second round ruined JDS. He could improve his wrestling and bjj but JDS is never going to be an effective grappler. He should focus on what he does well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggis McJackass View Post
He stopped half a dozen takedowns before Cain landed that straight right in the first round. And he was on his feet for most of the fight - even when he was punch drunk, Cain would take him down and he would repeatedly stagger back to his feet. He was just too beat up to make his body do anything to threaten Cain once he got there.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:50 AM   #15
swilson120
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Hands up in defence and his stamina
swilson120 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum