Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 12-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #16
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2666
Default Re: George Groves / James DeGale... Who will have done more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
I think to be fair to them both, for the respective amount of fights each has had, they are doing very well in terms of their competition, if we're looking at it from the perspective of the normal British prospect. It's good beign tested regulalrly as early as they have been and will only stand them in good stead for the future.

Agree with this, both have taken on tough fights considering how early on they are in their respective careers. I think both will make it to world level within the next three years, I agree with those who say DeGale should consider a new trainer, could Enzo Calzaghe be a good fit for him?

Look forward to Groves-Johnson, I can see that being a real barnburner, if Glen has anything left in the tank, Groves is in for a war, and we'll find out if he's future world champion material (which I think he is)
knockout artist is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #17
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
I think to be fair to them both, for the respective amount of fights each has had, they are doing very well in terms of their competition, if we're looking at it from the perspective of the normal British prospect. It's good beign tested regulalrly as early as they have been and will only stand them in good stead for the future.
Agree completely, both have fought excellent comp for this stage of their careers
bailey is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #18
vinnyboy
Journeyman

vCash: 500

[quote=boxfanlut;14327532]You don't think chunky's trainer is a massive problem, james has loads of talent which is being wasted[/quote

Last edited by vinnyboy; 12-04-2012 at 02:28 PM.
vinnyboy is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
vinnyboy
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfanlut View Post
You don't think chunky's trainer is a massive problem, james has loads of talent which is being wasted
jamea degales trainer is jim mcdonnel who do you think would be better 4 him and why???
vinnyboy is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #20
Furey
EST & REG 2009
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Groves in my opinion, and if he gets past a strong veteran in Johnson he'll push further ahead.

Johnson will give him some problems though.. Great chin, will keep the pressure on him & has been there and seen it all. Good fight for Groves at this stage of his career.
Furey is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 04:50 PM   #21
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Agree with this, both have taken on tough fights considering how early on they are in their respective careers. I think both will make it to world level within the next three years, I agree with those who say DeGale should consider a new trainer, could Enzo Calzaghe be a good fit for him?
DeGale has fantastic talent, great hand speed and movement. Enzo would possibly be a good choice if he did change trainers, he would have DeGale throwing more combinations and would likely improve his fitness.
One of the things with DeGale lately, is that he likes to take breaks by leaning on the ropes, but this looks to me where he seems to have been getting caught. It looks like a bad habit that could be tough to break.
Hopefully this will be resolved

Quote:
Look forward to Groves-Johnson, I can see that being a real barnburner, if Glen has anything left in the tank, Groves is in for a war, and we'll find out if he's future world champion material (which I think he is)
I think both Groves and DeGale show massive promise. When they fought, we got the best result with a close fight, however it went, because if one had of blown the other out we would only have had one top prospect. Now we still have two.
The only worry I have for Groves is that im not sure his chin is the best, but his power looks good and his foot movement seems very good
bailey is offline  Top
Old 12-04-2012, 07:15 PM   #22
paddymickey
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 933

Not ttying to hijack the topic but where do you think Sutherland would be if he was still with us? God bless him.
paddymickey is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #23
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
Who would you pick if DeGale and Groves fought now?
Groves seemed wary to engage with DeGale, but did box beautifully to a plan on the back foot.
Who do you think?
Box beautifully? All I remember is Groves stinking the joint out & getting a gift due to the public goodwill cos Degale made an arse of the build up & the UK boxing world wanted to see 'justice done' I dont care what anyone says, Groves getting the nod that night was shameful.

Sure Groves can fight, but he forgot to that night. Good job for him he didnt need to, as it was all nicely stitched up by then
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 04:09 PM   #24
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddymickey View Post
Not ttying to hijack the topic but where do you think Sutherland would be if he was still with us? God bless him.
Good question and really hard to say.
I dont know if he would have been as good a pro as Groves or DeGale for some reason, but think he would have done something.
I remember some thinking that Jefferies would go far
bailey is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #25
Primadonna Kool
Champion
East Side Guru

Degale has been fighting and beating the better fighters.

Groves i feel is more talented.
Primadonna Kool is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 04:42 PM   #26
bailey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primadonna Kool View Post
Degale has been fighting and beating the better fighters.

Groves i feel is more talented.
Fair comment.

I rate both highly and would like both to go on and win world titles, then a massive unification when/if they become the best 2 SMWs. Dreaming a bit maybe, but who knows, the division is wide open
bailey is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #27
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post

DeGale has fantastic talent, great hand speed and movement. Enzo would possibly be a good choice if he did change trainers, he would have DeGale throwing more combinations and would likely improve his fitness.
One of the things with DeGale lately, is that he likes to take breaks by leaning on the ropes, but this looks to me where he seems to have been getting caught. It looks like a bad habit that could be tough to break.
Hopefully this will be resolved
Hi mate, happy new year

I wonder why DeGale is taking breaks against the ropes? Is he working on that part of his game, or does he have stamina issues? It doesn't make sense, against Mohamaddi he dominated him with ease in the centre of the ring, showing great movement and combinations. Then DeGale would fall against the ropes, lie there and just get outworked. I can't see how it benefits his game? Same against Zuniga, he rocked him and dropped him when countering in the centre of the ring and letting his hands go, when he fell against the ropes he'd be ineffective.

Enzo would have DeGale fighting more aggressive, and utilising his physical talents, which would be great for him. DeGale also looks to have a solid chin as well

Quote:
I think both Groves and DeGale show massive promise. When they fought, we got the best result with a close fight, however it went, because if one had of blown the other out we would only have had one top prospect. Now we still have two.
The only worry I have for Groves is that im not sure his chin is the best, but his power looks good and his foot movement seems very good
Agree, I had Groves up by a point, but a loss was not catastrophic for DeGale. What hurt him was the inactivity because of his contract disputes. I still think both guys could beat Arthur Abraham today. I think Stieglitz would be a good step up to world level for either fighter next year. Groves was getting hit more early in his career, but I think his defence has improved and he seems to be a good thinker in the ring, able to adjust. Is he ready for a world title fight next year?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #28
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

DeGale's been on the ropes cos he's got a knee problem which is hindering his movement. He says it's getting better but has been a problem, I also felt he was working on his defence on ropes against the Frenchman.

I personally didn't see it as much as a struggle as many on here did. Always felt James was in control although he made it harder then need be. The knee problem obviously didn't help.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #29
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkillspayBills View Post
DeGale's been on the ropes cos he's got a knee problem which is hindering his movement. He says it's getting better but has been a problem, I also felt he was working on his defence on ropes against the Frenchman.

I personally didn't see it as much as a struggle as many on here did. Always felt James was in control although he made it harder then need be. The knee problem obviously didn't help.

Ahh right, I didn't know about the knee injury. Yeah I think he may have been working on that part of his game, because he knew he would comfortably beat both Mohamaddi and Zuniga.

Another thing Degale needs to work on is his finishing, he had Zuniga ready to go 2 or 3 times, but wasn't able to pick the right shots to get him out of there, instead he would just flurry with arm punches hoping the ref would jump in
Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #30
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockout artist View Post
Ahh right, I didn't know about the knee injury. Yeah I think he may have been working on that part of his game, because he knew he would comfortably beat both Mohamaddi and Zuniga.

Another thing Degale needs to work on is his finishing, he had Zuniga ready to go 2 or 3 times, but wasn't able to pick the right shots to get him out of there, instead he would just flurry with arm punches hoping the ref would jump in
Totally agree, I think he's got a bad habit of taking foot of the pedal and easing to victory when he could finish the job. He can look brilliant one minute and average the next and that's because he seems content to coast.

The finishing can be developed but it seems a part of game he's not developing sadly.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum