Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 12-31-2012, 01:49 PM   #61
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 36829
Default Re: Rank the unbeaten HW prospects the world over, in order.

Price doesn't have question marks as big or bigger than Pulev and Glazkov??

I mean, ****'s sake, I've defended him numerous times on here as much improved over the course of his pro career and tried to downplay the chin woes of his skinny young beanpole days in the amateurs...but come on...getting knocked out by Bermane Stiverne leaves a sizable question mark...
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #62
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
Price has a better 1-2 and straight punches in general. He is absolutely not more well-rounded than Pulev.

Quite the opposite.
Price has the better jab, is a better body puncher, throws a better right hand, has better hooks and throws a better uppercut. As far as both offensive arsenals go, there's no comparison. Price is a better puncher, has more variety, more accuracy and has KO power. Pulev isn't bad, by the way, he's just not as good.

Defensively, Pulev might have the edge but then again, considering everyone loves to talk about Price's glass chin, his defence must be alright considering nobody has hurt him yet. No Price opponent has landed as many shots on him as, say, Sprott or Dimitrenko did against Pulev in the early rounds of those fights.

Price has better footwork too, and he's a much better ring general. He paces himself well and dictates fights in a way that Pulev doesn't.

Price is just the better fighter. He has far more in his game than Pulev does, although Price's chin may be a big letdown whereas Pulev may not have one. He's just 'good' in all areas but there's nothing exceptional about anything he does.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 02:43 PM   #63
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

I mean, ****'s sake, I've defended him numerous times on here as much improved over the course of his pro career and tried to downplay the chin woes of his skinny young beanpole days in the amateurs...but come on...getting knocked out by Bermane Stiverne leaves a sizable question mark...
Does it? Price was a kid when that happened. It's no different to Tua being stopped as an amateur.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 PM   #64
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Quote:

You say that as if Stiverne can't bang.

But yes, I'm cautious on Price because of his chin and the fact he doesn't yet have the range control to protect it fully, which at age 30 he may never fully develop.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #65
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Yeah, Stiverne has nothing except a punch. He has poor technique but he carries plenty of power.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #66
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Inspired by a tangential offshoot under the Pulev vs. Glazkov topic...

Here is the pool of 30 names. Sort them as you will, and let's all compare notes!

To spice it up, I'll make Povetkin eligible for inclusion with the expectation that most will have him #1...but I'm curious to see if maybe a few put him lower.

(click names for Boxrec pages)

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 25-0 (17)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 17-0 (9)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 14-0 (10)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 31-0 (25)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 20-0 (14)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 16-0 (8.)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 15-0 (13)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 18-0 (11)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 35-0 (12)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 18-0 (12)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 19-0 (16)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 9-0 (6)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 23-0 (15)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 12-0 (10)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 28-0-1 (15)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 16-0 (16)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 26-0 (26)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 12-0 (9)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 17-0 (14)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 17-0 (11)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 21-0 (14)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 16-0 (12)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 14-0 (4)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 5-0 (3)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 14-0 (11)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 14-0 (13)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 12-0 (7)
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 36-0 (34)
Wilder seems to have a punchers record. undefeateds with all KO's is always interesting, maybe he'll pan out some day.
MMJoe is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #67
MMJoe
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Hooo boy, golly bouts like this are not going to get him much credibility.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF9OuVDyyq8[/ame]
MMJoe is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 03:37 PM   #68
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

1st Bracket - Are the best candidates to become top 5 HW's and possible Title holders in the Post-Klychpocalypse Era. Look to have the most talent with the least amount of glaring flaws and are proven against reasonable opposition.

2nd Bracket - Don't appear to have the potential to become a top 5 HW and unlikely to become a consistant top 10 presence. Have flaws that cause skepticism and/or are too unprovem at this point

3rd Bracket -Unlikely to become a top 10 HW for any reasonabe amount of time.

4th Bracket - Havent seen enough of to comment on with an informed opinion.

1st Bracket

Pulev - Most proven and with his size, jab, unconventional defense, quick feet and range control i can see him being very successful H2H against most of the others. A somewhat limited offensive arsenal along with his unconventional defense may prove expoitable for elite SHW's or good counterpunchers and/or combination punchers who can apply pressure.

Glazkov - Arguably the most well rounded and complete prospect on offense and defense along with the ability to do both at the same time. Top 3 jab, his ability to counter punch while moving forward is very impressive and has shown the most solid chin in the crop. If anybody in the 1st bracket will be able to stand up to the hardest punchers like Price, Helenius, Mago it will be Slava. Being 6'3 220-225 is his biggest "flaw" but he appears to have the style and attributes to compete with the giants.

Fury - Constantly improving and with his size, mobility, combinations and volume he'll he a handful for anyone. His chin is vulnerable against even average power and decent SHW's or skilled smaller HW's especially with speed and counter punching will present real challenges but it will also add to the excitement factor in seeing him in the ring.

Szpilka - Very good handspeed, footspeed/movement, reflexes, counterpunching and combinations. Respectable power on par with Glazkov at least, whether it's true one punch power is still unproven and showed a solid chin and toughness against McCline fighting with a broken jaw for 4 rounds. Against McCline he showed good discipline sticking to a smart gameplan but didn't throw enough combinations which is one of his best assets. If he puts its all together he could be very good and have the style and skills to deal with SHW's.

Price - Very good size, power, combinations, athleticism. All of this make it dangerous getting inside but at the same time Price doesn't do a great job "fighting tall" and leaves openings as a result. Alot of his punches are thrown from waist level to opponents head and body leaving him vulnerable to counter punches, he voluntarily fights at mid range often times and i question his ability to work behind the jab and keep an opponent on the outside even if he wanted to especially against top HW's. He doesn't seem to have any intention to improve utilizing his size advantage and if these defensive liabilities and a possible average chin cause him to fail i don't think he'll be capable of changing his style since he's already age 30 with extensive amateur experience.

Abdusalamov - Not as crude as people claim especially on defense. A high guard, parrying, subtle slipping and decent ability to judge and control range while stalking leave him underrated in this department. Along with Price, Perez, Boytsov looks to have potential 1 punch KO power although all are unproven against top 10 opposition. The McCline KD doesn't have me skeptical about his chin because it was a great shot he didnt see at all and he did not show to be hurt from it, he got up on solid legs and was stalking McCline almost right away while defending against punches. Will always be somewhat limited but his assets will always present a real danger, how truely dangerous will be determined in 2013 as he steps into the top 20.

Jennings - Real good mobility, combination punching, workrate and effectively awkward. Against a big hitter in Topou he was dropped by a glancing punch and was legit hurt with his legs and head being affected. Not feather fisted but doesn't seem to have too much power but his workrate somewhat offsets that via accumilation. The most proven and skilled American prospect imo.

Helenius - I quesioned putting im in the 1st bracket after his Williams fight where he was hurt and due to uncertainty about how he'll recovers from his shoulder injury. I doubt that he'll become a top 4 HW in the Post-Klychpocalypse Era but if his chin and power remain as formitable as he's proven in the past i see him remaining a consistant top 10 HW and at his best with the right matchup being able to possibly beat a top 4 HW and grab a belt.

2nd bracket

Dinu - Now with a promoter and looking like he intends to fight often i suspect he'll emerge as a real contender. SHW size, complete skill set, very good combinations and handspeed make him the top candidate to become 1st bracket in the next year.

Perez - Inactivity along with being undersized and a style heavily reliant upon power and his ability to get inside needs to be proven against better opposition.

Boytsov - similar style question as Perez against quality HW's, Universum bankruptcy and likely legal battle means inactivity and no increase in opposition in the near future.

Ortiz - SHW size, southpaw and pretty complete looking but a little unproven at this point.

Scott - His 4 year hiatus, slow increase in opposition and a little too unproven but appears to have potential.

Rivas - Too early, possible chin issue but a skilled version of Seth Mitchell with a quality amateur backround

Wallisch - Too early but SHW size, looks athletic and fairly complete

Wawrzyk - Young at 25, being moved pretty slow but just beat Bakhtov. SHW and looks decent enough but more likely to end up in the 3rd bracket similar to Pianeta level than become a consistant top 10 presence.

3rd Bracket

Wach - I can see Wach being a gatekeeper for the top 10 and possibly upsetting a prospect or top 10 pretender who tries using him as a tune up for a better SHW.

Wilder - I have huge skepticism about his general boxing ability and chin. May be guided into the top 10 via promotional magic but don't think he'll beat top 10 opposition or stay there.

Pianeta - Doesn't seem quite skilled or athletic enough

Hanks - Good size and athletic ability. Haven't seen much but looks to be lacking in refined boxing skill, he appears to be a guy that got a late start to boxing but i don't know his backround. Too unproven

Ruiz - Like Merchant said during Vitali-Arreola, being out of shape has to count for something and very unproven

Masour - Age, size, lack of opposition

Gerber - Looks to be a Kretschmann 2.0 pretender.

Towers - too unskilled and would have already lost to Tony if it wasn't for some of the most shameful British refereeing iv ever seen.

Larsen - He sucks

4th Bracket

Never seen Rodriguez, Brown or Fujimoto

Last edited by Vysotsky; 12-31-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #69
PolishPummler
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Price has the better jab, is a better body puncher, throws a better right hand, has better hooks and throws a better uppercut. As far as both offensive arsenals go, there's no comparison. Price is a better puncher, has more variety, more accuracy and has KO power. Pulev isn't bad, by the way, he's just not as good.

Defensively, Pulev might have the edge but then again, considering everyone loves to talk about Price's glass chin, his defence must be alright considering nobody has hurt him yet. No Price opponent has landed as many shots on him as, say, Sprott or Dimitrenko did against Pulev in the early rounds of those fights.

Price has better footwork too, and he's a much better ring general. He paces himself well and dictates fights in a way that Pulev doesn't.

Price is just the better fighter. He has far more in his game than Pulev does, although Price's chin may be a big letdown whereas Pulev may not have one. He's just 'good' in all areas but there's nothing exceptional about anything he does.
It's who you beat that matters. Pulev has exceded Price by far to this point.
PolishPummler is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #70
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 36829

^ brackets done correctly.

Only major change I'd make is dropping Abdudalamov to the 2nd.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #71
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Price definitely has a more complete punch variety and offensive threat due to his power but saying his jab and ring generalship is better is ridiculous because he has not faced anywhere near the level of opposition that Pulev has proven his against.

I definitely don't think Price's footwork is as good and while Pulev's offense is more limited he's already proven he's so good with the tools he does have that he can control a fight with them alone. Looking at Barney Ross or Volodymyr Klychko as examples of elite boxers who are so supurb with what they have it's all they need to dominate. Not saying Pulev is Klychko/Ross but he's proven himself very effective and whether that continues against top 5 competition is the question but comparing Price to him when David hasn't even fought a top 40 HW is very premature.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 04:04 PM   #72
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
^ brackets done correctly.

Only major change I'd make is dropping Abdudalamov to the 2nd.
Thanks.

Yeah Abdusalamov is the guy i seem to be out of synch with the majority of posters about but time will tell. Probably in the next 6 months or so as he should be starting to fight guys inside the top 25 now and he fights pretty often.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 04:07 PM   #73
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Price definitely has a more complete punch variety and offensive threat due to his power but saying his jab and ring generalship is better is ridiculous because he has not faced anywhere near the level of opposition that Pulev has proven his against.

I definitely don't think Price's footwork is as good and while Pulev's offense is more limited he's already proven he's so good with the tools he does have that he can control a fight with them alone. Looking at Barney Ross or Volodymyr Klychko as examples of elite boxers who are so supurb with what they have it's all they need to dominate. Not saying Pulev is Klychko/Ross but he's proven himself very effective and whether that continues against top 5 competition is the question but comparing Price to him when David hasn't even fought a top 40 HW is very premature.
Even when Pulev fought Sprott, which is a while ago, granted, he didn't show signs of being a great ring general. Sprott was outclassed but Pulev didn't boss him at all, so whilst it's true to say Price hasn't fought at a high level, at a similar level, he's been more impressive than Pulev was.

You also have to question the ability of Dimitrenko and Ustinov. Both are truly terrible fighters, and I don't see them being that far ahead of the likes of ***ton or McDermott. They both had high world rankings but they are both awful fighters. Sprott, a British journeyman, being robbed against Dimitrenko says a lot.

Price's footwork is very good for a big heavyweight. I would compare it to Wlad's actually. Whereas Pulev moves smoother and can look swift, Price's foot positioning and balance is superior. Pulev has quicker feet though.
Jack is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #74
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Even when Pulev fought Sprott, which is a while ago, granted, he didn't show signs of being a great ring general. Sprott was outclassed but Pulev didn't boss him at all, so whilst it's true to say Price hasn't fought at a high level, at a similar level, he's been more impressive than Pulev was.

You also have to question the ability of Dimitrenko and Ustinov. Both are truly terrible fighters, and I don't see them being that far ahead of the likes of ***ton or McDermott. They both had high world rankings but they are both awful fighters. Sprott, a British journeyman, being robbed against Dimitrenko says a lot.

Price's footwork is very good for a big heavyweight. I would compare it to Wlad's actually. Whereas Pulev moves smoother and can look swift, Price's foot positioning and balance is superior. Pulev has quicker feet though.
Some good points.

Pulev had a bad habit earlier in his career of fighting down to the level of his opposition and it caused skepticism, from me included, but he's shown that he does have another level and will fight more inspired when fighting better opponents rather than going on cruise control and just doing enough to win rounds. So the common opponent comparison earlier on against someone like Sprott may be somewhat misleading.

Also due to their attribute and style differences we've discussed Pulev isn't going to brutalize and KO guys inside 4 rounds. He'll dominate guys in the manner he fights and Price his which has more of a wow factor due to his power.

I don't think Price's footwork is as good as Volodymyr's and he definitely isn't as light on his feet or as quick but i do agree with the rest of your comparison between Pulev and Price. Good balance, fundementally sounds and athletic for a SHW.

One unrelated thing is i'v never found anything about Price's jab particularly impressive and won't be suprised to see smaller guys with a quality jab outjab him.
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 12-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #75
Stinky gloves
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vysotsky View Post
Klychpocalypse Era.
... I can't believe such word is coming from an Ukrainian mouth.
Stinky gloves is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum