Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #46
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Who is the P4P hardest puncher of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
And the myth continues...
Tell the people he fought that his power is a myth.
Boxalot is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #47
BritBulldog
True ENGLISH
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 534

Got to be Jimmy Wilde?.....outweighed by most he fought....So P4P...HAS TO BE WILDE....Who's record stands at..won 132 (KO 98 + lost 4 (KO 3) + drawn 1
BritBulldog is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #48
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxalot View Post
Tell the people he fought that his power is a myth.
All the men he knocked out with one punch you mean? And who would they be?
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #49
treva1977
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

jimmy wilde
treva1977 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #50
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
There's also a difference between being a genuine knockout puncher and being perceived as one. Shavers falls into the latter camp.

Shavers lacks the body of brutal knockouts because he didn't punch as hard as advertised. It's not like he didn't have plenty of opportunity to prove that with some of the stiffs he fought. Where's his equivalent of Tua Moorer, or Ruddock Dokes? If you have the power to put someone's lights out or hurt them so badly that they're unable to defend themselves then you don't need good finishing skills.

I'm not criticising him for not having knocked out Holmes or Ali, nor am I criticising him for his losses or his lack of success at the upper level of the sport. But he doesn't belong in discussions like this, unless it's to expose just how thin the actual in-ring evidence is for legitimately justifying his place among the hardest punchers in the sport.
Foreman has very few 1 punch KOs as well. Tyson was never a 1 punch-lights out kind of guy. Tyson rarely knocked guys unconcious, actually. They usually were still able to get up or at least trying when the ref stopped it. Same with Foreman.

Marciano had more 1 punch KOs where the person was unconcious for minutes, but he didn't punch as hard as Shavers or Foreman.

Why would all of the people Shavers fought, all with mixed results, lie about who hit them hardest?

Muhammad Ali knocked Foreman out and squeeked by with a close decision win against Shavers. Wouldn't he have more to gain by saying Foreman hit hardest?

Ken Norton was blasted out in 2 rounds by Foreman and 1 round by Shavers. He stated Shavers hit hardest. He had nothing to gain or lose by saying either one punched harder. Just an honest, unbiased thought.

Jimmy Young was knocked out by Shavers, then had a draw against Shavers. He beat George Foreman. He stated Shavers was the hardest hitter.

When there are so many common oponents saying that one man hit harder than the other, it's fair to say that the guy really did hit harder than the other.

Larry Holmes and James "Quick" Tillis both fought Tyson and Shavers. Both said Shavers was the hardest hitter. Holmes did say that Tyson was the sharpest puncher, though. Which is completely different than being a hard puncher. I'd rather be a sharper puncher than a harder puncher.

Evander Holyfield and Shannon Briggs both stated that Foreman was the hardest hitter they faced. Between the two of them, they've faced Lennox Lewis, Ray Mercer, Bert Cooper, Riddick Bowe (Holyfield said he actually hit him with the hardest single punch), and Vitali Klitschko. They were quite sure Foreman was the hardest puncher they fought.

Who are we to say one hit harder than the other without actually being in the ring with them? Looking at knockouts involves so many other variables aside from sheer power.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #51
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
Foreman has very few 1 punch KOs as well. Tyson was never a 1 punch-lights out kind of guy. Tyson rarely knocked guys unconcious, actually. They usually were still able to get up or at least trying when the ref stopped it. Same with Foreman.

Marciano had more 1 punch KOs where the person was unconcious for minutes, but he didn't punch as hard as Shavers or Foreman.

Why would all of the people Shavers fought, all with mixed results, lie about who hit them hardest?

Muhammad Ali knocked Foreman out and squeeked by with a close decision win against Shavers. Wouldn't he have more to gain by saying Foreman hit hardest?

Ken Norton was blasted out in 2 rounds by Foreman and 1 round by Shavers. He stated Shavers hit hardest. He had nothing to gain or lose by saying either one punched harder. Just an honest, unbiased thought.

Jimmy Young was knocked out by Shavers, then had a draw against Shavers. He beat George Foreman. He stated Shavers was the hardest hitter.

When there are so many common oponents saying that one man hit harder than the other, it's fair to say that the guy really did hit harder than the other.

Larry Holmes and James "Quick" Tillis both fought Tyson and Shavers. Both said Shavers was the hardest hitter. Holmes did say that Tyson was the sharpest puncher, though. Which is completely different than being a hard puncher. I'd rather be a sharper puncher than a harder puncher.

Evander Holyfield and Shannon Briggs both stated that Foreman was the hardest hitter they faced. Between the two of them, they've faced Lennox Lewis, Ray Mercer, Bert Cooper, Riddick Bowe (Holyfield said he actually hit him with the hardest single punch), and Vitali Klitschko. They were quite sure Foreman was the hardest puncher they fought.

Who are we to say one hit harder than the other without actually being in the ring with them? Looking at knockouts involves so many other variables aside from sheer power.
Shavers his KO ratio against opponents heavier than 215 lbs is just 45%...
Sure he didn't have a lot of skill but he didn't face the best of the division either so that evens each other out.

Still 45% is extremely low for a puncher named the hardest hitter ever.
And his chin though shaky wasn't made of khanium so that wasn't the problem either (mostly)
dyna is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #52
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Has anyone mentioned Walcott, yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redondo5 View Post
P4P has to be Julian Jackson
Hamed is in the top ten
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritBulldog View Post
Got to be Jimmy Wilde?.....outweighed by most he fought....So P4P...HAS TO BE WILDE....Who's record stands at..won 132 (KO 98 + lost 4 (KO 3) + drawn 1
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #53
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

James Tillis: "Shavers hit so hard he turned horse piss into gasoline! He hit me so hard he brought back tomorrow. When he hit me… I was seeing pink rats and cats and animals smoking cigarettes."

Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #54
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
James Tillis: "Shavers hit so hard he turned horse piss into gasoline! He hit me so hard he brought back tomorrow. When he hit me… I was seeing pink rats and cats and animals smoking cigarettes."

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

"He hit me so hard it jarred my kinfolk in Africa".

This was the most near knocked out moment in Ali his whole career.
Shavers was a very good puncher on sub 200 guys, but he couldn't do that to Ali.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #55
17brandiff
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 850

Earnie Shavers.
17brandiff is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #56
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyna View Post

Shavers was a very good puncher on sub 200 guys, but he couldn't do that to Ali.
I actually just like the quote.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #57
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

I am going out on a limb and saying Tua.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 02:58 PM   #58
ImElvis666
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 227381

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritBulldog View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by treva1977 View Post
jimmy wilde
What Wilde fights have you watched?
ImElvis666 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #59
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Shavers his KO ratio against opponents heavier than 215 lbs is just 45%...
Sure he didn't have a lot of skill but he didn't face the best of the division either so that evens each other out.

Still 45% is extremely low for a puncher named the hardest hitter ever.
And his chin though shaky wasn't made of khanium so that wasn't the problem either (mostly)
His problem was stamina and poor follow up skills. He managed to make guys like Holmes and Lyle look like they got shot from single punches, but when they got up (both were nearly impossible to keep down) they were able to survive due to their great recovery powers and his poor finishing skills. Shavers fought the best around, but he wasn't able to land more than 1 or two big shots on them, which is the main reason why he lost. When guys stood and went shot for shot with him, they went down.

Roy Williams, a 6'5, 230lb, big punching heavyweight who was known for his toughness went toe to toe with Shavers in a back and forth war. He ended up being the victim of a delayed effect KO. As the ref was checking on Williams after a Shavers assault, he waved the fight back on and Williams collapsed and was unable to get back up.

Ron Lyle opted to box Shavers instead of slugging with him, which was against Lyle's nature. Holmes and Ali both boxed Shavers and avoided any prolonged punching matches with him until he was exhausted.

Quote:

Yet Ali still cited him as the hardest puncher. That right there is proof that there is a lot more than just raw power that goes into hurting an oponent. Timing, punch placement, and whether the victim sees the shot coming or not all are more important to getting a KO than raw power. Shavers had enormous raw power, but poor timing, punch placement, punch selection, and speed.

Litterally all of his wins were the result of his raw power, not his skills.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 03:46 PM   #60
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

One punch power, probably Julian Jackson or Randall Bailey, at least since I've been following the sport. Shavers might have been a stronger puncher, but not on a pound for pound level.

Of the old schoolers, a lot of folks would say Jimmy Wilde or Sandy Saddler.
Brickhaus is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum