Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #1
Ianian58
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 300
Default Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

-Floyd Mayweather is 35 years old.

-Though beating Cotto convincingly, he did strugle against him.

-He is also out from prison.

-Guerrero is a decent contender, and sometimes a decent contender is all that it takes for the probability of beating a faded star.

-He is also a young and hungry fighter.

I'm not saying Guerrero will 100 percent beat Floyd, I'm saying the time is almost perfect for Guerrero to beat him. And plus, mostly for the joke, Guerrero is easily broke through Andre Berto's flawless Shoulder Roll Defence.
Ianian58 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #2
evalistinho
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5461
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

I think you are.

I see no way how Guerrero can beat Mayweather. None.

Berto didnt have a shoulder roll it was more of a face roll from the punches. It ****ing sucked.
evalistinho is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
macalpinerules
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

I think Guerrero has the same shot Jerry Cooper had.
macalpinerules is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Anyone has a chance but he is not a top fighter which you would expect Floyd to want to fight.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
BOXING DON
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I don't see Floyd blowing out ANYBODY the rest of his career unless he fights some old washed- up guy. He didn't only struggle v. Cotto, Ortiz gave him some anxious moments along the ropes and got FM a bit frustrated. The Ghost will be one of the most DETERMINED and PERSISTENT guys Floyd has faced in years. Him knocking out Guerrerro is TOTALLY out of the question, so he'd best be expecting a long grueling hookup and we know Floyd likes to control the pace. I don't think RG will be in ANY way be intimidated by Floyd and he'll be SURE to let him know at EVERY opportunity. These pressors will be interesting and I don't see Floyd doing his throat-grabbing shit on RG. If the undercard is decent, I might pay for this and this fight will determine if Floyd should fk with the Redhead, especially after he knocks off Trout.
BOXING DON is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

You probably are the only one.

Floyd is a huge favourite here. This isn't a fight people asked for but I won't knock it too much due to it being a mandatory fight for Floyd and his WW title.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Emeritus
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianian58 View Post

-Guerrero is a decent contender, and sometimes a decent contender is all that it takes for the probability of beating a faded star.

I'm not saying Guerrero will 100 percent beat Floyd, I'm saying the time is almost perfect for Guerrero to beat him. And plus, mostly for the joke, Guerrero is easily broke through Andre Berto's flawless Shoulder Roll Defence.
Yes he is 35 but we have seen Martinez and JMM perform well and they are older than Floyd....hell even Shane Moseley put a beating on Margarito when he was 36 and we don't need to even mention Bhop.
What we do know about Floyd is he is very serious about staying sharp and fit and at the very least he is equal if not greater than every one of those boxers I have already mentioned. So age wont be a problem - trust me.

I'm not sure how you struggle against someone in a weight class which you are clearly not at your best and they are the champion at and you win 9 - 3 or worse case 8 - 4. What Cotto did with Clottey was a struggle.

He only did 30 days or whatever inside the bing he will live.

Guerrero is a good contender however Mayweather is a great fighter full stop.

If it is perfect timing for Guerrero to beat Mayweather when he gets beat down remember to give Mayweather plenty of props!
Emeritus is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
blackbolt396
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

How can you beat somebody convincingly and strugle with them?
blackbolt396 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #9
dellgriff80
Journeyman

I don't feel Robert Guererro has the footwork, versatility, or ring I.Q. to have any chance against Floyd. Robert Guerrero just seems like a left-handed cross btw Jose Luis Castillo and Oscar De La Hoya, and he's just somebody who squares up and plods foreward, a-la Diego Corrales. This matchup just seems like one in a long line of Floyd's cherry picked opponents.

But, if Mayweather has an off night (like Mayweather-Castillo 1), and if Guerrero has a truly productive training camp, who knows.
dellgriff80 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
miniq
神風
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Mayweather payed off Berto to shoulder roll to give Guerrero practice so he'd have a better chance against him...
miniq is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #11
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:

I don't think you are the only one. I also give Guerrero a good chance of upsetting FMJ, if they fight. Guerrero, although, not a a great fighter can make it a rough night for FMJ.

I think of him as a bigger, stronger Hatton without the T-Rex arms, and he is a southpaw. Mentally, he is as strong as an undefeated Hatton was or more so right now since he beat up Berto.

I know a lot of people are going to claim that Berto is not FMJ, but he is similar in one or two areas. For starters, I would say Berto is about as fast as FMJ. Yes, the speed bothered Guerrero, but I think he did what he had to do, which was smother Berto and even up the fight a bit. He took one of Berto's advantages from him, but it remains to be seen if he can do it to FMJ. Guerrero also took some hellacious bombs from Berto the whole 12 rounds, so at least we know his chin can maybe withstand a few bombs from FMJ, but I don't see FMJ trying to throw bombs. I see FMJ trying to walk him down and try and intimidate him like he did Victor Ortiz. And if FMJ is going to throw one punch at a time like he has done sometimes, it will make Guerrero's night a little bit easier.

Guerrero is going to have to stay mentally strong the whole 12 rounds and not get frustrated by FMJ's shoulder roll and the fact that he won't be getting a clean looks at FMJ's chin, unless he creates openings for himself. And as a southpaw, he may find a few. He's also going to have to punch FMJ in the arms, chest, body, shoulders, etc...and make it a dogfight. Remember, I'm not saying dirty, just a rough and tumble fight.

It would be sweet if FMJ lost cuz he and PacMan don't deserve that big payday after screwing us fans out of a super-fight when they were both in their absolute prime.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #12
McGuinty
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

I think Guerrero's pressure might cause him a few problems.
McGuinty is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
guru059
TV Packager
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1687

no Nevada ref is gonna let him fight inside like he did against Berto.
guru059 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
BlueBottle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He only has a chance if he finds success in holding and hitting, but in Floyd's matches the referee tends to call break quickly. Plus Guerrero doesn't really punch hard as a WW.
BlueBottle is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #15
dellgriff80
Journeyman

Good eye, guru059, I never thought about that, but you're absolutely right. The Las Veags ref will probably be hanging all over him, harrassing him all night long.
dellgriff80 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum