Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
Sugar Nick
He's A Good Boy
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Did Sherman Williams poor conditioning keep him from killing Helenius?

In round 6 Williams hit Helenius with the overhand right and it shook Helenius for sure BUT,after the big punch,Williams drops his hands and walks around. Then he throws two punches and stops,walks around...
Why did he not capitalize? Too fat?

Helenius has yet to impress me by the way.
Sugar Nick is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
TheRealElFag

vCash: 500
Default Re: Did Sherman Williams poor conditioning keep him from killing Helenius?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
TheRealElFag is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 01:47 AM   #3
jehu
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Did Sherman Williams poor conditioning keep him from killing Helenius?

Williams tough man but has a bit of wear on him now hes near 40 yrs old.
jehu is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
Sugar Nick
He's A Good Boy
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu View Post
Williams tough man but has a bit of wear on him now hes near 40 yrs old.
Makes you wonder why Helenius would not be able to Ko him and why Helenius got smashed by Williams
Old 01-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #5
Nonito Smoak
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 250

I don't rate Helenius in my top 10, for what that's worth... I was rooting for Williams. I actually kinda like him and what he represents in the sport.
Nonito Smoak is online now  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 AM   #6
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Yeah he had a good round but he still comfortably lost 9-1 on anybodies card. I've seen a lot of talk of Helenius struggling in this fight. It was anything but. It was just your standard tough iron chinned high level journey man taking a prospect the distance while losing clearly on the cards.
Manning is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
chitownfightfan
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 0

Robbe Helenius fought a very smart fight for all but those few seconds of the 5th or 6th rd.
Tank has a long history of being potshotted to a decision. He aint been KOd since I can remember and he's fought many a hue puncher.

Take a look at Tanks defense.

He covers his face and ear well, allowing for only the straightest of shots to split his muffs. He tucks his arms well defending his solar plexus, and needs only the slightest adjustment to stave off a hook to the liver.

The lone target he offers up, and especially to taller fighters, is the top of his head.

I've seen guys KOd to the top of their heads, but Ive seen more fighters break their hands on an opponents cap than Ive seen guys laid down.

Now, Helenius was coming off a fight in which he tore his rotator 6 weeks prior to fighting. He sparred ZERO/0/ZERO rounds in the final 6 weeks of camp prior to his vacant EBU fight with Chisora.
In the first round, Robbe put everything his tore rotator would allow into a fierce straight R hand to DelBoys forehead. It landed flush over the eyes, right on the dome, and Robbe sent DelBoy reeling across the ring, staggering, dazed. And DelBoy said, that was the hardest he'd been hit in 10 yrs of boxing.
For his troubles, Helenius added insult to injury and injury. His already torn rotator was now accompanied by two broken metacarpals in the first f/n rd.

He continued to wing shots at DelBoy for 12 rds. His ONLY/ONLY/ONLY effective punches were his winging L hooks. DelBoy smothered their effect by hanging on Robbes chest.

So, Helenius going into the fight with Williams had a choice......test the shoulder and hand by going straight at him as he'd always done, or fought smart, and adjusted to an ironheaded fighter with a history of breaking guys hands and standing through the most brutal assaults.

Robbe may have looked like a broken fighter that night, but as a fan, Im hoping this was simply a professional adjustment by him in the ring.

Now, ROBBE....get in ****ing shape already.
chitownfightfan is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
itsa huge bitch
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 762

helenius picks fighters who will gas in the later rounds so he can ko them..

here ill explain more.

rob gets schooled eats alot of shots then his op tires the big fin then jumps in and ends the fight which = excitment which then = deluded ****ing fans
itsa huge bitch is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
Minto
The Beast
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Nick View Post
In round 6 Williams hit Helenius with the overhand right and it shook Helenius for sure BUT,after the big punch,Williams drops his hands and walks around. Then he throws two punches and stops,walks around...
Why did he not capitalize? Too fat?

Helenius has yet to impress me by the way.
Helenius is just overrated, he has a good chin, thats all. I donīt see him winning the title. Chisora beat him up very much.
Minto is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #10
Manning
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1449

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsa huge bitch View Post
helenius picks fighters who will gas in the later rounds so he can ko them..

here ill explain more.

rob gets schooled eats alot of shots then his op tires the big fin then jumps in and ends the fight which = excitment which then = deluded ****ing fans
Perhaps he fights Maskaev next for these reasons.
Manning is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #11
RazzAxx
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

There is quite a bit talk about Michael Sprott being Helenius's next victim. And that it is going to be some kind of "title" fight, too.

As for the OP - Helenius took a huge hook that hit his chin clean from a strong man whose trademark that punch is and did not go down. Whatever haters want to hate - Helenius has an iron chin. Whether he still has the power he had in his right arm before injury - that will be seen. He did not use right hand much against Williams and I don't think he even tried to put full effort to any of the few straight rights he threw against Williams.

And like many have said here, Williams is a very tough cookie to break and a great man and a good boxer.
RazzAxx is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #12
Faerun
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1171

Have to wonder what mummy Helenius will dig up next. Maskaev is a good shout I reckon.
Faerun is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #13
ludwig
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Williams was unfortunately already gassed in Round 6, so he just didn't have the energy to finish the show. I would say that if Williams was in perfect shape he would have won that fight....which would have been amazing given the absurd size difference (RH nearly 1 foot taller!).
ludwig is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #14
Consu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludwig View Post
Williams was unfortunately already gassed in Round 6, so he just didn't have the energy to finish the show. I would say that if Williams was in perfect shape he would have won that fight....which would have been amazing given the absurd size difference (RH nearly 1 foot taller!).
Cmon seriously he wasn't that competive at any level against Helenius. He caught Helenius once and hurt him but that's all what he had to offer with his tight defence.
Consu is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
Sugar Nick
He's A Good Boy
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
I don't rate Helenius in my top 10, for what that's worth... I was rooting for Williams. I actually kinda like him and what he represents in the sport.
I agree

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum