Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 01-01-2013, 01:27 AM   #106
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: the method - johnny famechon

.."Your question is great ! I am not being a smart arse here, just keen to give a vibrant answer; I will ask you: when does a 100 metre sprinter practise to explode from his starting block??"..

..that's a fair point..was thinking much the same..

..and mate..you put up so many good points I need to go away and think about them before i reply..haha..plus i just got home from nightshift..my 19th straight..
..anyway..Happy New Year ol' tiger..I'm off for a beer..
darkhorse is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #107
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atigerofold View Post
I think the problem is related to poor teaching techniques and egotistical behaviour.
Advice: Keep your boxing training and drills relevant, and real.
Don't try to invent new methods, or reinvent the wheel.
Open your minds and let the egotistical behaviours fly out your ears.

Study the method in detail. Look for relevant, real and ROTE (repetition of the exercises) teaching methods, particularly those "must have", (defensive) methods used by brilliant boxing trainers such as Palmer.....and copy them.

PS: and toss out those boxing catcher mitts.
You a fan of partner work mate? (2 guys facing each other taking in turns practicing each offensive/defensive move at about 40% pace.) personally think it's a great form of perfecting defensive/offensive moves for guys at all levels.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 01:57 AM   #108
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
..in that Jack Dempsey book i was talking about..Jack puts major importance on a ramrod jab..a weapon that shocks and breaks a opponent down..

..he describes this technique as firstly starting with a short powerful step in..(trigger step..with a tight high guard)..then combine a little shoulder whirl/jolt..(non telegraphic)..then snap the jab out from the high position..turning it over and striking with a 3 knuckle landing..(left 3 knuckles of the left hand)..done correctly you end up with a fully extended arm..(Jack calls this the power line)..
..and most important..snap it back faster than it went out in..(i hope this made sense)
That's a good one I believe that's the first jab you should learn when starting out. I've never heard the 3 knuckle landing though. I want to go buy that book now. It's intrigued me!
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 03:44 AM   #109
brianleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
That's a good one I believe that's the first jab you should learn when starting out. I've never heard the 3 knuckle landing though. I want to go buy that book now. It's intrigued me!

I owned that book years ago,lent it out and never got it back I have it now as a pdf file easy to read on the computer pm me and I will attempt to send it via email
brianleon is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 04:26 AM   #110
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianleon View Post
I owned that book years ago,lent it out and never got it back I have it now as a pdf file easy to read on the computer pm me and I will attempt to send it via email
Mate I stoped lending to people for that very reason. I had a library of all the fights from sky channel for the last 25 years still got most of them but not the ones I lent out. Also had Barrera's whole career on DVD until I lent it out.
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 05:08 AM   #111
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

..I come across some sort of Martial Art's website...Stick Fighting blah blah..well it had some sort of link to all these old books available online(I've been tryin' to remember for the last couple of weeks..)..and the Jack Dempsey book was there..if you can't find it i'll lend you the handwritin' version that i've got..deadset..the best instructional book i've ever read..and information that's needs to be shared..
Old 01-01-2013, 05:10 AM   #112
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Mate I stoped lending to people for that very reason. I had a library of all the fights from sky channel for the last 25 years still got most of them but not the ones I lent out. Also had Barrera's whole career on DVD until I lent it out.
x2
Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #113
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

When my mate died I didn't have the heart to ask his mother for all the books I had lent him over the years back , I bought a few back from the charity shop she kindly donated them to though . Happy new year down under lads ......
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #114
Crusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
When my mate died I didn't have the heart to ask his mother for all the books I had lent him over the years back , I bought a few back from the charity shop she kindly donated them to though . Happy new year down under lads ......
Crusher is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 05:36 AM   #115
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

I go to the charity shop every week mate to look for books on all sports I've had some great finds there but you feel like a right tramp waking out with a parcel tied up under your arm .
Old 01-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #116
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Btw Crush tell your old father in law he was on the telly here a week ago in a feature on Pontypool RFC , they almost went bust mate but got saved at the eleventh hour , when he was playing Pooler were probably the best Club side in the Northern hemisphere and even though I'm a cardiff lad it i would have been spewing to see them fold. .
Old 01-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #117
brianleon

The thing is when I read a good book or see a great fight I want my mates to see it to,i kept tabs on it for a while but someone is treasuring it somewhere now I guess.
brianleon is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #118
Bwgcolman
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

I have electronic copies of Jack Dempsey's Championship fighting as well as Boxing by Philadelphia Jack O'Brien. If anyone wants a copy send me a PM with an email and i'll flick them too you. I also have many other boxing manuals and training regimes from around the world including some stuff from Alcides Sagarra.
Bwgcolman is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #119
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
..same to you Josey..
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 AM   #120
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by atigerofold View Post

Your question is great ! I am not being a smart arse here, just keen to give a vibrant answer; I will ask you: when does a 100 metre sprinter practise to explode from his starting block??

I think the practise for this counter combo, needs to be first conducted outside of the gym, or before gym, with two boxers; me and my brother worked at it (in a type of close shadow sparring) in our parents kitchen for hours and hours at a time, and as I said before we used open hands so we wouldnt destroy each other; our exercise was to especially provide the rapid speed movement of the feet to the position where the rapid hand movement of the left rip (and following left hook, right cross) could be unleashed/practised. We made sure during this practise that it was genuine, as we tried hard to stifle each others first movements....(both of us would often baulk with a left jab, and then see the other's rip coming - shift back, throw a right cross that was pulled up).....(obviously, we knew that we had to throw a left jab in order for the other to exercise that first move up....but we threw it out authentically)....this is the type of trust and practise that is required, that free reign to play and explore the total exercise, and to not be severely staggered by the 'punishment' of being hit, and not getting it through to the keeper; in the exercise it became a bit of a game, where we purposefully tried to stifle the other from reaching that first point of positioning to rip......it was fun and cat and mouse practise. We often spoke to each other, with our critique as we worked together..'not fast enough mate'.....'saw it coming"....etc.

I seriously think that there must be time put aside for a boxer to reflect, and slowly practise on his own learning time, agenda also..... To achieve perfection in this most difficult move, doing it on your pat mallone, highly inflates its difficulty; so to get assistance and shadow spar together and practise this move in the way I described, is a better and greater learning tool, with both boxers collaborating to learn this timing, rythmn, pitfalls and preciseness of this move together, and giving instant feedback is the way to go.

At the gym, it can be imagined and practised on the bag, by pushing the punching back, and get it swaying up and back, get into timing mode, and visualise that the left jab is coming at you, and you hop up to the bag as it is heading towards you, you slip or brush the imaginary left lead, as you are stepping up and ripping (in a lightening flash), then hooking and right crossing....it is good gym reinforcement for this counter combo, but the bag cannot tell you that your movement is too predictable, or full of obvioiusness ! (These days, you'd reckon they would have invented a boxing bag that tells you your mistakes !) hahaha

cheers mate.
..ol' tiger..I really think you were blessed mate to have your brother there and be privilaged to be guided by a boxing immortal like Ambrose Palmer..and of course to share a gym with a all time great like Johnny Famechon..seriously..as i've said a few times before..you deadset have to write your own boxing instruction book..I know from some of the posts that you've put up over the years that your also a brilliant wordsmith...you can't take all your knowledge to the grave mate..i reckon you'd be on a winner..

..and while on books..another brilliant source of knowledge for me was Bruce Lee's..'The Tao of Jeet-Kun-Do'..he goes into much detail about blocks,slips and parries..counter punching and counter counter punching...every base is covered in great detail..
..goin' back before the internet age..this was one of the most useful books i'd come across..

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum