Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #61
jan_fan
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 983
vCash: 500
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Yes you are
And don't use Cotto as a basis for it
jan_fan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #62
Daruf
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,442
vCash: 704
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Any non Floyd fan thinks Geurerro has a chance?

To me its a absolutely useless fight, Guerrero is too slow, not skilled enough, not strong enough and pretty much brings nothing to the table to make this remotely interesting.

Seeing as i have to be awake by 4am or so in Holland to watch these big fights i can safely say i wont lose any sleep over it.

And no its not because i don't enjoy watching Floyd fight, i watched the Cotto one but this is just pointless.
Daruf is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #63
haglerdude
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 383
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

anyone who follows the fight game knows that no fighter is unbeatable and there are a few factors that could be against floyd. money will be the favorite but stranger things have happened in boxing.remember tyson douglas??
haglerdude is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #64
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 9,197
vCash: 75
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewishamboy View Post
Guerrero has ridiculous hunger/drive and p4p one of the best chins in boxing. I cant see him winning but he'll def be more competitive than Cotto
Agree
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #65
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 920
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daruf View Post
Any non Floyd fan thinks Geurerro has a chance?

To me its a absolutely useless fight, Guerrero is too slow, not skilled enough, not strong enough and pretty much brings nothing to the table to make this remotely interesting.

Seeing as i have to be awake by 4am or so in Holland to watch these big fights i can safely say i wont lose any sleep over it.

And no its not because i don't enjoy watching Floyd fight, i watched the Cotto one but this is just pointless.
Guerrero has plenty of skill, and probably has enough in him to make Mayweather think and stay on his toes early on, I just think Guerrero will try to maul Mayweather, and make it dirty, and honestly, Mayweather will probably love that. It will play in to Mayweathers hands. Big difference on the inside between Berto and Mayweather.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #66
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 675
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW View Post
That's exactly were he went wrong. Ortiz was doing this, Mayweather uses them as trigger points though, it's one of the reasons he does the pads with Roger the way he does, it's the way he has been taught to defend. Defense first, and if the opportunity presents itself, use the oppositions punches as a trigger to get your own shots off. Ortiz punched Mayweathers arm, Mayweather came back with a clean straight right, repeat. Mayweather didn't even have to find distance, Ortiz was doing it for him.
Well, I don't remember FMJ teeing off on Ortiz when he was in close. What he was doing was using the shoulder roll or holding. Ortiz was the one who was throwing while in close and trying to land on FMJ.

Now in the middle of the ring was a different story. That is where FMJ was raking Ortiz and he pretty much was dominating the fight. When Ortiz bullied FMJ to the ropes, he worked but not in an intelligent way. He was trying too hard to hit the sweet spot instead of working intelligently and that was his mistake. Add to that his frustration and his lack of focus and you get Ortiz headbutting FMJ.

Guerrero may not be as fast as Ortiz, but he appears to be miles ahead of him as far as mental toughness goes. He also appears willing to grind out a rough and tumble affair for 12 rounds instead of trying to KO a fighter in 5 rounds. His chin may be better than Ortiz', and that is either going to help him in the fight or lead him to take a drubbing for 12 rounds. Guerrero's power seems to be a notch or two below Ortiz', but again, being a southpaw it might allow him to surprise FMJ with a punch here and there.

I'm just of the opinion that Guerrero might be able to replicate Hatton's fight against FMJ with a little more success since he may be a little longer and stronger than Hatton. I think he is young enough and durable enough to make it slightly entertaining. At the very least, I'm hoping he is able to push FMJ a little more than what other fighters have been able to do recently.
RingKing is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #67
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 920
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingKing View Post
Well, I don't remember FMJ teeing off on Ortiz when he was in close. What he was doing was using the shoulder roll or holding. Ortiz was the one who was throwing while in close and trying to land on FMJ.
Didn't realise you were talking about on the inside/against the ropes. Even against the ropes at times, Mayweather was using Ortiz's jab to land his own shots, but yeah, for the majority of the time, Ortiz was intent he was going to land on Mayweathers head.

Quote:
Guerrero may not be as fast as Ortiz, but he appears to be miles ahead of him as far as mental toughness goes. He also appears willing to grind out a rough and tumble affair for 12 rounds instead of trying to KO a fighter in 5 rounds. His chin may be better than Ortiz', and that is either going to help him in the fight or lead him to take a drubbing for 12 rounds. Guerrero's power seems to be a notch or two below Ortiz', but again, being a southpaw it might allow him to surprise FMJ with a punch here and there.
I do agree with this.

Guerrero >>>>>>> Ortiz - in most areas.

The main advantage Ortiz had though was size, this was why he was able to back Mayweather so easily. Mayweather was still in control most of the time, even when it looked like Ortiz was backing off, he was backing off because he couldn't break through the defense, so had to reset and rethink.

Quote:
I'm just of the opinion that Guerrero might be able to replicate Hatton's fight against FMJ with a little more success since he may be a little longer and stronger than Hatton. I think he is young enough and durable enough to make it slightly entertaining. At the very least, I'm hoping he is able to push FMJ a little more than what other fighters have been able to do recently.
The main reason Hatton had success was his footspeed, this troubled Mayweather more than any punch thrown. Having said that, Mayweathers footspeed has deteriorated, so Guerrero could try closing that distance quickly using feints, and switching from body to head quickly. Bogo's thread points out some interesting factors that could come in to play if you want to check that out.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #68
shaunster101
Yido
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Santiago de Cuba
Posts: 11,920
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Worst Floyd opponent in a long time. I don't give him a chance.
shaunster101 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #69
Steven.Jackson
Yall Musta Forgot
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 767
vCash: 720
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Whether you like it or not, the Guerrero fight is the best fight that can be made at welterweight for Floyd. Whether that's a better fight than Canelo is debatable, but if Floyd plans on fighting at 147 for his next fight, it's gotta be Guerrero.

Who else? Manny's out till September at least, JMM got beat soundly already, Malignaggi, Zaveck, Berto, Ortiz? Yeah, exactly.

2nd would probably be Bradley, but The Ghost is clearly the best fight at 147 for May 4th.
Steven.Jackson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #70
Ilesey
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cymru
Posts: 14,456
vCash: 172
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

It's times like this people will focus on Guerrero's assets and forget just how good Mayweather is. Whilst Guerrero is no mug, I do expect Mayweather to beat him relativley comfortably. I expect the best laid plans will go to waste when Mayweather starts tagging him. I don't see an upset here. I see a brave Guerrero losing a wide UD.
Ilesey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #71
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,367
vCash: 920
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

This bout hasn't been confirmed, it must be remembered. I fully expect it to be, but I've seen this before from the Mayweather camp. Throw a name out there and wait for two things.

1. Wait for the backlash - they then see that they have to up the quality of opponent.

Or.

2. They throw a shit name out there expecting a backlash - then they confirm the bout against a much better opponent (that they have probably had in place all along), and everyone is at least satisfied with the opponent.


Aside from Bradley (Top Rank), Guerrero is probably the best opponent available at 147lbs.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:22 AM   #72
Steven.Jackson
Yall Musta Forgot
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 767
vCash: 720
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW View Post
Aside from Bradley (Top Rank), Guerrero is probably the best opponent available at 147lbs.
Thank you, finally someone with some sense around here.
Steven.Jackson is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #73
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 675
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven.Jackson View Post
Whether you like it or not, the Guerrero fight is the best fight that can be made at welterweight for Floyd. Whether that's a better fight than Canelo is debatable, but if Floyd plans on fighting at 147 for his next fight, it's gotta be Guerrero.

Who else? Manny's out till September at least, JMM got beat soundly already, Malignaggi, Zaveck, Berto, Ortiz? Yeah, exactly.

2nd would probably be Bradley, but The Ghost is clearly the best fight at 147 for May 4th.
Exactly. I'd prefer Canelo over Guerrero, but I don't think GBP will put their cash cow in their with FMJ just yet. Now if Guerrero has some success than it may happen in September. For now, Guerrero seems to be the best pick out of there. That or FMJ could move up to '54 and fight there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilesey View Post
It's times like this people will focus on Guerrero's assets and forget just how good Mayweather is. Whilst Guerrero is no mug, I do expect Mayweather to beat him relativley comfortably. I expect the best laid plans will go to waste when Mayweather starts tagging him. I don't see an upset here. I see a brave Guerrero losing a wide UD.
Guerrero could very well lose a wide UD, but to say that he'll get KO'ed in 2-4 rounds is ludicrous (and no, I'm not saying that you stated that. However, there are posters in here who say he has a zero chance and it won't be a good fight). Again, I'm just hoping to see FMJ get pushed into a good/great fight. I think the first few rounds will be indicative of how the fight will end. If Guerrero goes in there with the sole purpose of hitting the sweet spot a la Ortiz, then we will have a one-sided affair with FMJ drubbing Guerrero. But, and that is a big but, if Guerrero goes in there and smothers FMJ and turns it into a Berto type mauling then we might be in for a decent fight where the young Guerrero is taking the fight to FMJ. At least Guerrero has shown that even if he gets hit, he won't stop from trying to closing the distance to get some work in.
RingKing is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #74
ReadyOrNot
newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 43
vCash: 500
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingKing View Post
Exactly. I'd prefer Canelo over Guerrero, but I don't think GBP will put their cash cow in their with FMJ just yet. Now if Guerrero has some success than it may happen in September. For now, Guerrero seems to be the best pick out of there. That or FMJ could move up to '54 and fight there.



Guerrero could very well lose a wide UD, but to say that he'll get KO'ed in 2-4 rounds is ludicrous (and no, I'm not saying that you stated that. However, there are posters in here who say he has a zero chance and it won't be a good fight). Again, I'm just hoping to see FMJ get pushed into a good/great fight. I think the first few rounds will be indicative of how the fight will end. If Guerrero goes in there with the sole purpose of hitting the sweet spot a la Ortiz, then we will have a one-sided affair with FMJ drubbing Guerrero. But, and that is a big but, if Guerrero goes in there and smothers FMJ and turns it into a Berto type mauling then we might be in for a decent fight where the young Guerrero is taking the fight to FMJ. At least Guerrero has shown that even if he gets hit, he won't stop from trying to closing the distance to get some work in.
When and if Guerrero ever fights Floyd, the jab and bodyshots will be why Floyd beats Guerrero. Guerrero's only hope is that Floyd has gotten old. His smothering style worked against punchers.
ReadyOrNot is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #75
PBFred
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 75
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW View Post
This bout hasn't been confirmed, it must be remembered. I fully expect it to be, but I've seen this before from the Mayweather camp. Throw a name out there and wait for two things.

1. Wait for the backlash - they then see that they have to up the quality of opponent.

Or.

2. They throw a shit name out there expecting a backlash - then they confirm the bout against a much better opponent (that they have probably had in place all along), and everyone is at least satisfied with the opponent.


Aside from Bradley (Top Rank), Guerrero is probably the best opponent available at 147lbs.
I was holding out hope for Canelo in May but it appears that the event is pretty much set with Floyd vs Guerrero and Canelo vs Trout.

I believe GBP preferred to go with an easier fight for Canelo to help build the Canelo vs Floyd fight later in the year and that has been the reason for the announcement delay. It sounds like Canelo is insisting on the Trout fight. Trout is a strong, sound technical fighter and there is a good chance that Canelo won't look very good even if he wins thus slowing up the momentum for the superfight. If Trout wins, while he vs Mayweather is a good fight for purists and hard core fans, it wouldn't capture the casual fans attention like a Canelo fight would. Floyd prefers to fight at 147 so I can't see him taking a fight with Trout at 154 since he would be able to make the same kind of cash vs someone like Bradley or even Garcia at 147.

My 0.02
PBFred is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013