Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #76
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 7111
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho_grande View Post
It staggers me the amount of people on a boxing forum who DKSAB!!

Guerrero is 29 so he is at his peak. Hes a southpaw with a great chin, he throws lots of punches and has a great heart and engine. The only thing that goes against him is his lack of pop. Its respectable, but there is no chance of him stopping Floyd but he could outwork him to get a decision.

People seem to forget that Floyd is 35, hes been inactive for years. Mayweather is unquestionably one of (if not the most) dedicated boxer in terms of health and fitness of his generation. Unfortunately for him you cant beat father time, and hes at the stage of his career where young fighters will be fitter than him, & perhaps even more hungry than him.

This is a dangerous fight for Floyd, and although I see Mayweather winning by UD, I expect Guerrero to push him all the way.
Exactly. This has more to do with father time possibly catching up to Floyd moreso than Guerrero being some amazingly skilled fighter. No one beats father time. At some point, if you keep on fighting past your prime, you will eventually lose. This might not be the fight but it would not shock me one bit if it is. Floyd is a reflex based fighter sort of like RJ (although Floyd has much superior fundamentals) and he is right about the age when most athletes really start to lose a lot of the natural reflexes and legs.
klion22 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #77
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBFred View Post
I was holding out hope for Canelo in May but it appears that the event is pretty much set with Floyd vs Guerrero and Canelo vs Trout.

I believe GBP preferred to go with an easier fight for Canelo to help build the Canelo vs Floyd fight later in the year and that has been the reason for the announcement delay. It sounds like Canelo is insisting on the Trout fight. Trout is a strong, sound technical fighter and there is a good chance that Canelo won't look very good even if he wins thus slowing up the momentum for the superfight. If Trout wins, while he vs Mayweather is a good fight for purists and hard core fans, it wouldn't capture the casual fans attention like a Canelo fight would. Floyd prefers to fight at 147 so I can't see him taking a fight with Trout at 154 since he would be able to make the same kind of cash vs someone like Bradley or even Garcia at 147.

My 0.02
Aye, I agree.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't be completely surprised if Trout beats Canelo. Really impressed me against Cotto.

If Trout beats Canelo, I doubt Floyd fights Trout. I wouldn't blame Floyd either.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #78
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I thought the same until I watched him stun Berto several times, who Ortiz only stunned once or twice, but put a beating on him...

Guerrero actually stunned Berto a couple times which was pretty shocking because I thought the same as you..

I said there is no way, he can hurt Berto, judging from his Aydin fight he showed that he can box on the back foot with a lot of volume not much pop, but he also showed with berto that if he sits on his punches, he definitely has great power...

I think he can hurt may with a left straight when May is on the ropes with his shoulder roll.

Guerrero's Work rate, south paw stance, and size gives him a pretty good chance for the Upset, specially considering, may will be inactive for another year, and last time out he was very stationary even with Ortiz and relies to much on his inside defense, but he can't do that with a south paw specially with one with great reach and size like GUerrero he will get caught, but IDK if Guerrero will win, I do think he has a shot.. this Mayweather is to stationary IMO with a high volume southpaw.... Guerrero's doesn't have a questionable heart like Ortiz and will leave it all in the ring, he will make mayweathe Fight IMO!
Anyone can hurt Berto because he's not in shape. Guerrero doesn't have the footwork to stay outside. If he tries to fight inside, he's giving up the southpaw advantage. Once Floyd takes the angle away, the fight is over.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #79
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Apparently Floyd doesn't have as many fans as I thought given then number of people giving him a decent chance here.

I personally rank Guerrero behind Floyd, Marquez, Pacman, Bradley and Alexander. He beat aydin and berto in impressive fashion considering he was once featherweight world champion but he's shown nothing to suggest he can compete with Floyd.

The only thing that makes the fight acceptable is Rob has earnt his shot via the mandatory root. Let's not pretend this is a competitive fan friendly fight. Floyd haters will have you think it's gonna be close but we all know the reality here. Floyd will dominate and not receive a huge amount of credit for doing so.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #80
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

he has a good chance indeed. i still favor floyd. hes just too smart for guerrero.
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #81
janeschicken
hard work! deadicayshin!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2048

Berto (who can't fight on the inside for shit) was rocking guerrero with uppercuts at will. What will a superior inside technician like Floyd do to him?
janeschicken is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #82
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

So sad to see some Floyd fans trying to sell is that shit. I miss Leon, who was a flomo who called it like he saw it.
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #83
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeschicken View Post
Berto (who can't fight on the inside for shit) was rocking guerrero with uppercuts at will. What will a superior inside technician like Floyd do to him?
Rocking Guerrero? Guerrero took them flush and came back begging for more. He not only ate them, he took it to Berto and answered with his own shots.

Floyd a superior inside technician? Nope, I don't see it. I don't ever recall watching a fight where I said to myself, "Damn, FMJ is a brilliant inside fighter." From what I have seen, his game is distance and setting the pace while using the shoulder roll defense. When he is on the inside, he is mostly doing the shoulder roll, holding, and sometimes throwing a few punches here or there, but nothing to the extent of being a superior inside technician.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #84
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post
So sad to see some Floyd fans trying to sell is that shit. I miss Leon, who was a flomo who called it like he saw it.
I'm a Floyd fan but I'm also a Ghost fan (you can check my post history on that), and whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, Robert is legit and would be a problem for anyone at 147.
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #85
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawJab View Post

The **** makes people think he'll be more competitive than Cotto? His outside game is basic and his inside game is determined but unsophisticated.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #86
Pound4PoundG
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingKing View Post
Rocking Guerrero? Guerrero took them flush and came back begging for more. He not only ate them, he took it to Berto and answered with his own shots.

Floyd a superior inside technician? Nope, I don't see it. I don't ever recall watching a fight where I said to myself, "Damn, FMJ is a brilliant inside fighter." From what I have seen, his game is distance and setting the pace while using the shoulder roll defense. When he is on the inside, he is mostly doing the shoulder roll, holding, and sometimes throwing a few punches here or there, but nothing to the extent of being a superior inside technician.
Floyd is a sik inside fighter hes one of the best in the game. He was losing to castillo until he resorted to fighting on the inside and beat castillo at his own game. When FMJ wants to fight on the inside he certainly can do that. Also at times when hatton got on the inside with FMJ he would always lose out. FMJ throws those short popping shots fast and crisp.
Pound4PoundG is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #87
Pound4PoundG
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

This fight sucks fullstop.
Pound4PoundG is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #88
Daruf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 704

So far the only compelling argument i have heard is that Floyd may get old over night.
Which is probably the only chance this fight has to be a 116 - 112 affair instead of a 118 - 110 or worse.
Daruf is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:41 AM   #89
Charlie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 825

Guerrero is simply not good enough to trouble Floyd, its plain as ****ing day.

Genuinely laughed after seeing someone compare Floyd's Defence to Berto's in this thread.
Charlie is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #90
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianian58 View Post
-Floyd Mayweather is 35 years old.

-Though beating Cotto convincingly, he did strugle against him.

-He is also out from prison.

-Guerrero is a decent contender, and sometimes a decent contender is all that it takes for the probability of beating a faded star.

-He is also a young and hungry fighter.

I'm not saying Guerrero will 100 percent beat Floyd, I'm saying the time is almost perfect for Guerrero to beat him. And plus, mostly for the joke, Guerrero is easily broke through Andre Berto's flawless Shoulder Roll Defence.
For one Andre Berto dose not have and inside fight game Period !! Berto inside fight game is just terrible worst Iv ever seen from some one at his level .. With that said, with out an inside fight game, a fighter should not even attempt to use the shoulder roll unless you know how to fight on the inside. Second Berto does not know how to fight - Yes I said it , Berto dose not know how to fight.. Berto is the perfect stereo type fighter who has speed and power and nothing else, once he meets some one that can match him is speed or nullify his speed and power he is lost.
Floyd on the other hand is on the opposite end of the spectrum when compared to Berto.
The fact that Berto struggled with Forbes, Urango, and Collazo should have been the first hint Berto career was going to be short.

In the end Berto falls miles short a measuring stick of how the ghost will do against Floyd. Im sure Guerrero people knows that also or else they would have look to go after other top welter weight in the devision to make the match more appealing.

I expect the ghost to give a good account of himself but he will get beaten on the inside against floyd and get outpointed from the outside.
pit is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum