Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #91
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingKing View Post
Rocking Guerrero? Guerrero took them flush and came back begging for more. He not only ate them, he took it to Berto and answered with his own shots.

Floyd a superior inside technician? Nope, I don't see it. I don't ever recall watching a fight where I said to myself, "Damn, FMJ is a brilliant inside fighter." From what I have seen, his game is distance and setting the pace while using the shoulder roll defense. When he is on the inside, he is mostly doing the shoulder roll, holding, and sometimes throwing a few punches here or there, but nothing to the extent of being a superior inside technician.
Mayweather is great at nullifying an opponents offense on the inside, and he comes back with shots that the opponent doesn't see. He's also great at positioning his body and feet in a way that not only limits his target for the opponent, but also leaves himself room to get his own shots off.

Saying that all Mayweather does on the inside is shoulder roll, hold and come back with a few punches is underrating his work massively.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #92
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post

The **** makes people think he'll be more competitive than Cotto? His outside game is basic and his inside game is determined but unsophisticated.
We talking about Cotto? lol!!

All kidding aside, what did Cotto do? He tried to box with FMJ on the outside and was either relunctant or couldn't get on the inside against FMJ.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #93
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppin501 View Post
I'm a Floyd fan but I'm also a Ghost fan (you can check my post history on that), and whether you choose to acknowledge it or not, Robert is legit and would be a problem for anyone at 147.
True he would be a problem, but if he's really serious about making this fight more than a public work out, I think the ghost would have targeted other champions like , Bradly, Devon or Randal Bailey to stake his claim as a legit opponent for Floyd.
pit is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #94
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
We talking about Cotto? lol!!

All kidding aside, what did Cotto do? He tried to box with FMJ on the outside and was either relunctant or couldn't get on the inside against FMJ.
We're talking about Guerrero.

If we're talking Cotto, he jabbed well on the outside, circled and made Floyd reach in one of his best rounds, and on the inside, gave nearly as good as he was getting as he consistently cornered Floyd. A majority of the rounds in the fight were competitive. Cotto has proven a level of skill and ability beyond what Guerrero has without question.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #95
illwill007
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Berto and Guerrero fought a great fight, but for me it was spoiled by 2 things:

1. Berto used FMJ's shoulder roll.
2. Robert held Berto behind the head, as he pummeled him to the ground.

It was an ugly fight, and was very entertaining, but it in no way tells us what a fight with FMJ will be like. I do think that Guerrero will be ready to die in that ring, but this is FMJ we're talking about here, not Berto. FMJ will be ready for whatever the former light weight champ has to offer in the way of dirty tactics.

Some people on this board act like Berto did not have success against Guerrero. Did you not see his head getting rocked back with those uppercut bombs...over and over and over again?
illwill007 is online now  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #96
garymcfall
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 944

If Floyd is still at the level he was at even in the Cotto fight, then he'll deal with Guerrero easily enough.

He's definitely slipping a bit though, if he keeps fighting for another couple of years I don't think it's out of the question somebody will actually pull it off and hand him his first loss. Guerrero isn't the guy though.
garymcfall is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #97
janeschicken
hard work! deadicayshin!
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Rocking Guerrero? Guerrero took them flush and came back begging for more. He not only ate them, he took it to Berto and answered with his own shots.

Floyd a superior inside technician? Nope, I don't see it. I don't ever recall watching a fight where I said to myself, "Damn, FMJ is a brilliant inside fighter." From what I have seen, his game is distance and setting the pace while using the shoulder roll defense. When he is on the inside, he is mostly doing the shoulder roll, holding, and sometimes throwing a few punches here or there, but nothing to the extent of being a superior inside technician.
Floyd's inside work is excellent, man. Watch how he beat Hatton at his own game. Holding and sometimes throwing a few punches here and there IS inside fighting. But he's extremely effective at it and gets in some excellent body work and some dirty work, too.
janeschicken is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #98
janeschicken
hard work! deadicayshin!
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill007 View Post
Some people on this board act like Berto did not have success against Guerrero. Did you not see his head getting rocked back with those uppercut bombs...over and over and over again?
Exactly.

Floyd is much more precise than Berto will play target practice.
janeschicken is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #99
Manila
Temporarily Unbanned
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianian58 View Post
-Floyd Mayweather is 35 years old.

-Though beating Cotto convincingly, he did strugle against him.

-He is also out from prison.

-Guerrero is a decent contender, and sometimes a decent contender is all that it takes for the probability of beating a faded star.

-He is also a young and hungry fighter.

I'm not saying Guerrero will 100 percent beat Floyd, I'm saying the time is almost perfect for Guerrero to beat him. And plus, mostly for the joke, Guerrero is easily broke through Andre Berto's flawless Shoulder Roll Defence.
No chance.

If Floyd was fighting a top quality opponent (ie: Martinez, Marquez, Pacquiao, Canelo) then I'd maybe see your thinking, but Guerrero is nowhere near that level, and will get laughably outclassed.
Manila is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #100
ReadyOrNot

vCash: 500

Quote:

You've never seen a fight where Floyd showed that he was a superior inside technician? Please. Get rid of the hate. Floyd doesn't fight inside for 12 rounds. Floyd is an all around technician. That's just one of the many dimensions in Floyd's fighting style. Is Guerrero a better inside technician than Floyd?
ReadyOrNot is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #101
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW View Post
Mayweather is great at nullifying an opponents offense on the inside, and he comes back with shots that the opponent doesn't see. He's also great at positioning his body and feet in a way that not only limits his target for the opponent, but also leaves himself room to get his own shots off.

Yes, I agree he nullifies opponents offenses on the inside, but that is where I said he mostly does his shoulder roll, holding, and coming back with a few punches (<--and i meant that in a figuratively kind of way). I guess the issue here is what you consider a superior inside fighter to that of what I do. I consider a superior inside fighter to nullify an opponents offense with great D, and someone who is able to work on the inside throwing great combinations, working body and head with both hands. FMJ does not come to mind, at least to me. On the outside? A different story.

Saying that all Mayweather does on the inside is shoulder roll, hold and come back with a few punches is underrating his work massively.

Could you point out a fight where he did impressive inside work?
I may very well be wrong about FMJ's inside game, but on the outside? So far, he's proven to be the best of his generation.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #102
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
I may very well be wrong about FMJ's inside game, but on the outside? So far, he's proven to be the best of his generation.
This level of thinking is why he beats most of his opponents , Hatton, Mosley , oscar, Zab,Gatti, Brusles and Chavez are just a number of fighters who game plan was to bust floyd up on the inside only to realize to late his fast hand speed, counter punching and body punching was far, far , far better then they expected. By the time they realized it, the damaged had been done.
pit is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 PM   #103
AnthonyW
ESB Official Gif Poster
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 920

Quote:
I wouldn't say you have to be able to throw great combinations on the inside to be classed as a great inside boxer. An example, Rios, would you consider him a great inside boxer? No doubt he has very good offense on the inside, finds power and leverage with short punches, but can he unlock a good defense? Nope, doesn't seem that way. I'd class Abril as a very good defensive boxer on the inside, whereas I'd class Rios a very good offensive inside boxer, against certain styles.

When it comes to Mayweather, he is a great defensive inside boxer, great at making it awkward and hard to land cleanly on. Whereas his offense from that position is very good simply based on the openings he creates and leaves himself to land. His output isn't out of this world on the inside, but his output overall has dropped over the years. His uppercut/straight right to the stomach/sternum is one of the best shots in boxing, it's hard to see from outside the ring, never mind in it.

Bouts where he has been impressive. Recently Cotto. A few years back, Hatton. Very impressive against Hatton.
AnthonyW is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #104
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit View Post
This level of thinking is why he beats most of his opponents , Hatton, Mosley , oscar, Zab,Gatti, Brusles and Chavez are just a number of fighters who game plan was to bust floyd up on the inside only to realize to late his fast hand speed, counter punching and body punching was far, far , far better then they expected. By the time they realized it, the damaged had been done.
From what I can recall, FMJ beat all those guys by boxing and setting the pace from the outside. Not by beating those guys on the inside for the majority of all 12 rounds. He's more of a defensive fighter who picks apart his opponent from the outside. Whatever the case may be, you may think of him as a superior inside fighter but I don't. An excellent defensive inside fighter? Yes, no argument there. A superior offensive inside fighter? Nope, at least in my opinion.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 PM   #105
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyW View Post
I wouldn't say you have to be able to throw great combinations on the inside to be classed as a great inside boxer. An example, Rios, would you consider him a great inside boxer? No doubt he has very good offense on the inside, finds power and leverage with short punches, but can he unlock a good defense? Nope, doesn't seem that way. I'd class Abril as a very good defensive boxer on the inside, whereas I'd class Rios a very good offensive inside boxer, against certain styles.

When it comes to Mayweather, he is a great defensive inside boxer, great at making it awkward and hard to land cleanly on. Whereas his offense from that position is very good simply based on the openings he creates and leaves himself to land. His output isn't out of this world on the inside, but his output overall has dropped over the years. His uppercut/straight right to the stomach/sternum is one of the best shots in boxing, it's hard to see from outside the ring, never mind in it.

Bouts where he has been impressive. Recently Cotto. A few years back, Hatton. Very impressive against Hatton.
Ok, I can agree there, which is what I think I have been trying to say. Anyhow, I think if FMJ keeps Guerrero on the outside, he is in for a world of hurt. If Guerrero, can manage to get on the inside and stay there, his chances of making it interesting increase slightly.
RingKing is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum