Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #76
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who is the P4P hardest puncher of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
Yes he was, absolutely.

There isn't a heavyweight since Louis who more routinely knocked down and out good durable heavyweights with single shots than Mike Tyson. As a one punch hitter he eclipses Shavers who never knocked anyone unconscious either and frequently had to beat them down to get the stoppage.

There are highlight videos devoted solely to Tyson's one punch KOs. You won't find a similar vid of Shavers because he only had one true one punch KO in his career (that's on tape), against Jimmy Ellis. The bulk of the rest of his wins inside the distance are TKOs or ref stoppages.

The idea that Tyson was an accumulation puncher and Shavers a one punch knockout artist is totally arse backwards, IMO. I don't know why such nonsense is still being propagated by educated boxing fans when it's so patently false.

Sorry to be blunt but if Shavers is such a hard hitter show me the proof in fights, don't bring up quotes.

Why not? He has the results to prove it doesn't he? P4P you could make a very good case that he was a harder one punch hitter. Of course objectively the large difference in weight has to be considered, but results are what must ultimately carry the flag here. And if you're putting guys' lights out on a regular basis as the Rock did, then it's a pretty good indication that you have serious one punch KO power.

Like you said, who are we to judge who hit harder? In lieu of common opponents, one has to make up one's mind by deduction and other means.
I know Tyson has plenty of 1 punch knockdowns, but he was the type to bounce guys off of the canvas before the stoppage/final knockdown. He rarely knocked guys unconcious. Guys like Julian Jackson, Arthur Abraham, Rocky Marciano, and Wladimir Klitschko have knocked out plenty of people unconcious for well over a minute with single punches.

Guys like Foreman, Shavers, Tyson, Dempsey, Lewis, etc would bounce guys off of the canvas repeatedly until the ref stepped in or the other guy simply didn't get up, despite being concious and looking around.

There are different types of punchers, sharp punchers (Tyson, Hearns), sheer force punchers (Shavers, Foreman, Tua), 1 punch lights out punchers (Jackson, Marciano, Wlad), and mixes (Lewis). Some, despite being more dangerous, aren't necessarily harder. I'd rather face a Shavers, Foreman, or Tua type puncher over a Tyson, Hearns, or Jackson type puncher.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #77
Mind Reader
RIP Captain Phil
East Side Guru

vCash: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy 01 View Post
Just playing devils advocate here ( because not even his family would accuse James Toney of being a natural Middleweight ) but isn't that exactly what James did, go from a Middleweight title, to KO'ing Holy with a body shot at Heavy?
Well, Fitz was smaller than Toney.. But he also knocked out Corbett when he was the Heavyweight Champ.. Toney would have had to do it in Holy's prime for the lineal HW title, to be even comparable.
Mind Reader is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #78
Hammer Muldoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Julian Jackson for me. He didn't score stoppages, he scored clean, one punch KO's.
Hammer Muldoon is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #79
Vysotsky
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Muldoon View Post
Julian Jackson for me. He didn't score stoppages, he scored clean, one punch KO's.
Im going to really challenge this popular Jackson notion.

Against who? and only within a 6lb range. Bob Foster scored equally scary KO's against better, notoriously iron chinned compitition like Dick Tiger yet his power did nothing at HW. I have a hard time calling anybody a P4P puncher if they never proved through multiple weight classes or against heavier men.

Weight aside Steele, Hostak, C.Garcia are without a doubt better MW P4P punchers having proved it against elite opposition (although Garcia and Steele did start at WW) and while Lausse and Fernandez's opposition is less than those 3 above i wouldn't be suprised if they hit harder than Jackson. Jackson encountered two men in his own era McCallum and McClellan who were able to actually walk through his shots, pressure him and eventually stop him. Lausse on the other hand backed up iron chinned Fullmer for 10 rounds even though he didn't stop him. Norris, Graham and Baek are probably the three best fighters Jackson stopped with Graham being the only clean KO (Norris did beat the count)
Vysotsky is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #80
DrPoopypantz

"Tommy Hearns at 160 pounds could knock out a heavyweight."

- Mike Tyson

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
DrPoopypantz is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #81
ChiefSecond
Journeyman

vCash: 300

Earnie Shavers.

Larry Holmes: "Earnie hit me harder than any other fighter, including Mike Tyson. He hit me and I was face down on the canvas hearing saxophonist Jimmy Tillis."

Muhammad Ali: "Earnie hit me so hard, he shook my kinfolk back in Africa"

Ron Lyle: "Hardest he's ever been hit: Earnie Shavers. The ground came up and met me. That's all I remember."

James Tillis: "Shavers hit so hard he turned horse p*ss into gasoline! He hit me so hard he brought back tomorrow. When he hit me… I was seeing pink rats and cats and animals smoking cigarettes. I was in the land of make-believe."

He KO'd 27 opponents in a row.

Need I say more?
ChiefSecond is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #82
iWantToLearnEng
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

GOAT

Mike Tyson

active

Magomed Abdusalamov
iWantToLearnEng is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #83
SMS Employee
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Mike Oxlong
SMS Employee is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #84
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Hearns
Jackson
Foreman
Hamed

The rest.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 02-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #85
locard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefSecond View Post
Earnie Shavers.

Larry Holmes: "Earnie hit me harder than any other fighter, including Mike Tyson. He hit me and I was face down on the canvas hearing saxophonist Jimmy Tillis."

Muhammad Ali: "Earnie hit me so hard, he shook my kinfolk back in Africa"

Ron Lyle: "Hardest he's ever been hit: Earnie Shavers. The ground came up and met me. That's all I remember."

James Tillis: "Shavers hit so hard he turned horse p*ss into gasoline! He hit me so hard he brought back tomorrow. When he hit me… I was seeing pink rats and cats and animals smoking cigarettes. I was in the land of make-believe."

He KO'd 27 BUMS in a row.

Need I say more?
Not this crap again.

and..fixed for accuracy
locard is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #86
ballznall
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Duran Arguello Dempsey Young Tyson Lennox Nonito
ballznall is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #87
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430

Valero is up there
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #88
Cableaddict
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

I skimmed through this whole thread, and while I get that's it's normal to think back for such things, I'm still surprised to see no mention of Mathyse.

I mean, P4p, right?

MA - FRICKING - THYSE !

========

Then again, I'm still going with Nigel Benn:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

- He's surely right there along with Jackson.

Last edited by Cableaddict; 02-14-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Cableaddict is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #89
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP

joe louis maybe
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #90
john garfield
Champion
East Side Guru

The Boston Tar Baby. The original Joe Walcott. Barely 5-6 and he KO'd top heavyweights.
john garfield is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum