Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #121
Outboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

I've barely seen any of Guerrero, only a bit of the Berto fight. He appears to have size and strength, and he also seems to employ rough tactics like holding and hitting. I guess it will be interesting to see him trying to impose himself on this past prime version of Mayweather.
Outboxer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #122
darling dame
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

No, The Ghost has everything neede to beat Floyd including Mental toughness!!
darling dame is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #123
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

I was about to consider taking the thread title seriously, and then realized it wasn't about Peter Quillin vs. Fernando Guerrero...
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 03:53 PM   #124
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Can I ask why not?

Because Hatton's inside fighting consisted of mauling, grappling, and some punches mixed in. I would almost say his style was a blitzkrieg type of attack. It worked well for him throughout his career against decent competition and he had a degree of success with it against FMJ, but to me, he attacked without setting FMJ for other shots. It appeared that he was basically trying to smother FMJ, wear him out by grappling and mauling, and it backfired after FMJ figured him out after a few rounds. In fact, I would even say that he smothered his own work.

Now I know you probably won't like this, but against Tyzsu, he butted, grappled, wrestled, low blowed, held, and mauled Tyzsu. It really wasn't a thing of skill or technique. It was a foul fest that was ugly to watch, unless of course you are a Ricky Hatton fan, no offense.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #125
JASPER
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by intentionalbutt View Post
i was about to consider taking the thread title seriously, and then realized it wasn't about peter quillin vs. Fernando guerrero...
:d
JASPER is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #126
JASPER
Champion
East Side Guru

I like the ghost and wish him well. However, TBH I think Berto might have beat him if they did not import a british judge in that fight . . . so unless he brings the same ref and his own judges i cannot see him taking it.
JASPER is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #127
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingKing View Post
Because Hatton's inside fighting consisted of mauling, grappling, and some punches mixed in. I would almost say his style was a blitzkrieg type of attack. It worked well for him throughout his career against decent competition and he had a degree of success with it against FMJ, but to me, he attacked without setting FMJ for other shots. It appeared that he was basically trying to smother FMJ, wear him out by grappling and mauling, and it backfired after FMJ figured him out after a few rounds. In fact, I would even say that he smothered his own work.

Now I know you probably won't like this, but against Tyzsu, he butted, grappled, wrestled, low blowed, held, and mauled Tyzsu. It really wasn't a thing of skill or technique. It was a foul fest that was ugly to watch, unless of course you are a Ricky Hatton fan, no offense.
Good point about Ricky smothering his own work; it's what a lot of fighters do anxious to get Floyd. But for all the little dirty things Hatton sneaks in, it takes a great deal of craft to be able to position an opponent's body and "maul" the way he does. It may not always be clean and pretty but it's effective. Like I said in my last post, Floyd isn't among the best of infighters in history, but he doesn't have to be given the opponents he's faced and may face in the near future.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #128
Indio-Bandido
Belt holder
ESB Addict

come on, man, guerrero sucks. mayweather can easily outbox him. it'd be like sparring for mayweather.
Indio-Bandido is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #129
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Can I ask why not?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogotazo View Post
There's a difference between ATG pressure fighters and simply excellent ones. Hatton, Cotto, are very good pressure fighters. But Duran, Chavez, Toney, etc. display it on a much more dynamic level. Floyd may not be at that utmost tier, but he doesn't have to be in this era. There aren't that many fighters in the last decade that I'd say could beat Floyd if you put the two in a 10X10 ring. There's a reason for that, and it's Floyd's skill-level up close.
Well, I don't want to turn this thread into a FMJ fantasy fight list or pissing contest, but I firmly believe that he did not test himself against the best after a certain point in his career, belt or no belt.

A list of fighters that he fought, in no particular order:
Gatti
Mitchell
Judah
Baldomir
ODLH - even though he was semi-retired
Ricky Hatton
JMM

A list of fighters he could have fought, in no particular order:
Margarito - I feel he would have beaten everyone above with maybe ODLH as the exception. I believe he would have given FMJ his stiffest challenge since Castillo.
Williams - Same as Margarito
Clottey - Although he was DQ'd against Baldo, I would favor him to lose only against ODLH
Cintron - Pre-Margarito, I could see him losing only to ODLH, Gatti (maybe), and Hatton (maybe).

My point being is that although he fought recognizable names, there were better fighters out there to truly say he was the best. And these guys weren't up-and-comers. I think Cintron and Williams being the NKOTB, but still were seen as the best contenders at that time.

Last edited by RingKing; 01-02-2013 at 04:31 PM.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #130
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit View Post
Floyd first fight with Castillio was close and floyd first time at 135 in which Castillo came in close to 147 then 135, even then with floyd hurt shoulder, floyd was able to hold his own on the inside with Castillo. If you don't give any of the fighter I mention credit for being great or even good inside fighters, I would like to hear your opinion on who is a good inside fighter today? Because that art appears to be lost on most fighters today.
Honestly, I can't think of any. I don't want to say it's a lost art, but it does take skill, determination, focus, and defense to be a great inside fighter. Most fighters today throw one or two punches and then immediately want to tie up.

The most recent fighter that I can recall that was a very good inside/pressure fighter was Antonio Margarito. He worked the body and head with a purpose. He threw a variety of punches while in close. Hooks to the liver, head shots, and his favorite (and underestimated) punch, the uppercut. He worked with both hands and his defense was not too shabby.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #131
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indio-Bandido View Post
come on, man, guerrero sucks. mayweather can easily outbox him. it'd be like sparring for mayweather.
ok

You mean like this?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKU9PzLwEIM[/ame]

Last edited by RingKing; 01-02-2013 at 04:45 PM.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #132
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
come on, man, guerrero sucks.
Incorrect.

Quote:
mayweather can easily outbox him. it'd be like sparring for mayweather.
Correct.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #133
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ok, I've spoken my peace, and I just want to say that I think Guerrero will do a lot better than what a lot of people are predicting.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:48 PM   #134
Overhill
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 0

He has a chance to make Floyd look worse than he really is.

..and Canelo/Cotto to push the PPVs..
Overhill is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #135
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingKing View Post
Ok, I've spoken my peace, and I just want to say that I think Guerrero will do a lot better than what a lot of people are predicting.
The best he can hope for is to make Floyd look bad, while losing clearly.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum