boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #136
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 180
Default Re: Am I the only one who thinks Guerrero has a good chance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
The best he can hope for is to make Floyd look bad, while losing clearly.
This isn't Rocky Balboa fighting Apollo Creed for the first time and thinking he has no chance.

No, this is a young, hungry Robert Guerrero who just came off of a grueling fight with a big, strong welter weight that a lot of people thought was going to KO him out. He proved to himself that he can take a punch and win a rough, grueling fight.

Right now his confidence is at an all-time high, and that is what makes him more dangerous if they fight. Of course, FMJ may have him doubting himself by the third or fourth round, but that remains to be seen.
RingKing is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 10:40 PM   #137
pit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingKing View Post
This isn't Rocky Balboa fighting Apollo Creed for the first time and thinking he has no chance.

No, this is a young, hungry Robert Guerrero who just came off of a grueling fight with a big, strong welter weight that a lot of people thought was going to KO him out. He proved to himself that he can take a punch and win a rough, grueling fight.

Right now his confidence is at an all-time high, and that is what makes him more dangerous if they fight. Of course, FMJ may have him doubting himself by the third or fourth round, but that remains to be seen.

Sorry but Burto can not fight. His only claim to fame is his hand speed, his offense only works on a willing opponents , lack luster fights against , collazo , Forbes , and Urango proves that .
pit is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #138
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP

vCash: 107

Yea I also agree Guerrero has found his peak or is close to the best shape of his career. If his prime will be long or short is unknown, he has taken alot of punishment, but so far taken it well. To me really if he's becoming the beast I think he can become the world can be in for a shocker. For me I think with Guerrero using his ailing wife as inspiration reminds me too much of Buster Douglas in Tokyo. Guerrero looked just way nore possessed and composed than Ortiz did against Berto and Guerrero just on a higher level. A style opposite of Floyd's, iron willed, iron chinned, southpaw, nonstop pressure, fights on his terms using his style not his opponents, attacks the body as violently as the head, and a dangerous puncher, stylistically, could give Floyd second thoughts about taking this fight. Guerrero could be a Castillo, Margarito, and Pacquiao hybrid rolled into one. From watching the unforgettable Guerrero-Berto fight, Guerrero brings many tools to provide a major upset. Not the first time or the last upsets like these have happened. Maybe I'm looking into this too much IDK, but this matchup is alot more interesting than Mayweather-Ortiz.
elchivito is online now  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #139
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1544

I watched the Guerrero-Berto fight again and Guerrero showed an unreal chin. Some of the shots he took should've knocked him out. If not, seriously hurt him. The guy is one determined fighter. I don't see him quitting like Ortiz if the going gets tough. Berto has absolutely no ability to think on the fly. He let Guerrero crowd him which took away his leverage. He should've taken a step back to create some space and then let his hands go. He let Guerrero absolutely dictate the fight.
klion22 is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #140
Abdullah
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

You can expect Mayweather to win a clear decision against Guerrero.
Abdullah is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #141
Bulletproof
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Everybody that fights Floyd at this point in his career will be thought of to have a "real chance". Someone is either going to have to land a lot of clean (key word) blows round after round or knock him down a few times or stop him cold. It seems the judges recognize Floyd's defensive skills and don't seem to give his opponents credit for being "aggressive", yet flailing away without landing anything significant. I've seen tons of other fights where the aggressive guy gets rewarded for throwing a lot but not really landing cleanly. When Floyd connects it's clean and you can't miss it. The Ghost as he is called, ironically is pretty easy to hit and hit often. Mayweather by wide UD that will make people question why the fight even took place to begin with...
Bulletproof is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #142
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 46300

Quote:

You realize Berto isn't Mayweather, yes?

Don't let the shoulder roll fool you.

...and he wasn't necessarily supposed to lose to Berto. Everyone recognized heading in that Guerrero was the p4p superior boxer. The only concern was the size difference, but Guerrero had a proven track record of repeatedly moving up in weight and suffering no ill effects nor getting bullied or overpowered by the "bigger" men.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #143
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletproof View Post
Everybody that fights Floyd at this point in his career will be thought of to have a "real chance". Someone is either going to have to land a lot of clean (key word) blows round after round or knock him down a few times or stop him cold. It seems the judges recognize Floyd's defensive skills and don't seem to give his opponents credit for being "aggressive", yet flailing away without landing anything significant. I've seen tons of other fights where the aggressive guy gets rewarded for throwing a lot but not really landing cleanly. When Floyd connects it's clean and you can't miss it. The Ghost as he is called, ironically is pretty easy to hit and hit often. Mayweather by wide UD that will make people question why the fight even took place to begin with...
Not true at all. For instance Guerrero isn't perceived to have a real chance at victory.

I'd say at ww noone has a real chance but fights against Bradley, Marquez or Pac are more challenging.

His only real tests will come from the lmw division.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #144
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletproof View Post
Because who is FMJ supposed to fight? Canelo? Yes, I agree, but GBP isn't going to throw their cash cow in there just yet. JMM? I'm a huge JMM and even I know that FMJ has already established who is numero uno between the two. Berto? He lost to Guerrero. Cotto? Cotto can't do anything different.

I think Guerrero is fine even if his chances are slim, but I wouldn't say none.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #145
RingKing
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
You realize Berto isn't Mayweather, yes?

Don't let the shoulder roll fool you.

...and he wasn't necessarily supposed to lose to Berto. Everyone recognized heading in that Guerrero was the p4p superior boxer. The only concern was the size difference, but Guerrero had a proven track record of repeatedly moving up in weight and suffering no ill effects nor getting bullied or overpowered by the "bigger" men.
Yes.

It didn't. I was cringing every time he did it. It was horrendous.

Well, I don't know who thought Guerrero was the superior boxer, but I know I wasn't one of them. Skill wise I would say they are similar. Where I thought Guerrero was going to find himself in a distinct disadvantage was in speed and strength. He was able to cope with and nullify Berto's hand-speed. I also believed that Guerrero was never a true '30 or '35 lb fighter. He was too tall and his frame was huge and could fill out if necessary. But taking on Berto for his first fight at welter was a huge risk, but he must have had enough confidence in himself to pull it off and he did.
RingKing is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 06:39 PM   #146
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Guerrero's biggest fight/win to date is Andre Berto and that was his last fight. Mayweather will be his third welterweight opponent. No, he doesn't have a chance unless Mayweather shows his age and moving down in weight clearly affects him. Even if it did, he can still use skill and experience to pull it off.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #147
Scar
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 372

Quote:
Because who is FMJ supposed to fight? Canelo? Yes, I agree, but GBP isn't going to throw their cash cow in there just yet. JMM? I'm a huge JMM and even I know that FMJ has already established who is numero uno between the two. Berto? He lost to Guerrero. Cotto? Cotto can't do anything different.

I think Guerrero is fine even if his chances are slim, but I wouldn't say none.
Trout at 154 or Martinez at 160/154. Even though Guerrero deserves all the paydays in the world, fighting and beating another up-comer easily isn't exactly exciting.
Scar is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #148
J Griz 757
Arturo "Thunder" Gatti
East Side Guru

vCash: 1866

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianian58 View Post
-Floyd Mayweather is 35 years old.

-Though beating Cotto convincingly, he did strugle against him.

-He is also out from prison.

-Guerrero is a decent contender, and sometimes a decent contender is all that it takes for the probability of beating a faded star.

-He is also a young and hungry fighter.

I'm not saying Guerrero will 100 percent beat Floyd, I'm saying the time is almost perfect for Guerrero to beat him. And plus, mostly for the joke, Guerrero is easily broke through Andre Berto's flawless Shoulder Roll Defence.

I think there's almost no chance for Guerrero to win, other than that minute chance of a crazy ko punch.

Mayweather will probably do a typical lopsided decision, but given Guerrero not really being a WW until recently, I think there's a high chance Floyd tko's the ghost.

Mayweather Tko11 Guerrero
J Griz 757 is online now  Top
Old 01-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #149
BagsWithDust
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalpinerules View Post
I think Guerrero has the same shot Jerry Cooper had.
BagsWithDust is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum